• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel 60 Minutes

20 posts in this topic

Dang, I wish I were in the US tonight... seems must-see TV.

I wonder how much Jemas will make an of himself again though...

60 Minutes Featuring Marvel and Spider-Man Tonight

Wednesday, October 30, 2002 10:01 CST

The following is a press release from Marvel:

60 MINUTES II SPOTLIGHTS THE POPULARITY OF SUPER HEROES AND THE MARVEL RENNASAINCE!

MARVEL LEADERS INTERVIEWED IN TOP-RANKED TV NEWSMAGAZINE!

The Wednesday, October 30th edition of the TV newsmagazine 60 Minutes II will include a feature segment in which correspondent Bob Simon interviews Joe Quesada, Bill Jemas and Avi Arad on the rise in popularity of super heroes and Marvel Enterprises. Concentrating on the blockbuster success of the "Spider-Man" movie -- and what impact it has had on the entire comic book industry and the future of Marvel itself -- the episode is set to air at 8:00 pm (EST) on CBS.

"I remember watching 60 Minutes habitually with my father as a kid," stated Quesada. "I used to watch how they would bust crooked businessmen and investigate corrupt world leaders. And I used to think to myself, 'Man, the last thing anyone wants to get is a call from 60 Minutes saying we'd like to have a moment of your time.' This, of course, is different, and the greatest satisfaction to me -- outside of the fact that they're doing a piece on comic books -- is that I know that my dad will get to see it!"

"They interviewed me for hours, and I did a lot of talking about comics in general," Quesada continued. "One of the things that I told the producer that I wanted to get across was that this is a boom time for the entire industry. Yes, this is a boom time for Marvel, but there's some great stuff happening everywhere. It's the same speech I give whenever I'm on one of these shows: comic books are not just a kids medium."

Caught the piece last night on AFRTS. Pretty well done but I've got some observations:

When showing comics fans at San Diego, did they have to show only those fans that were in costume? Including spotlighting a DragonBall Z character that's more of a TV show than a comic and Spider Jerusalem? The general public will continue to see us in a negative light in spite of the fact that these people make up a severe minority of the fanbase (and I'm not dogging their right to wear what they want, I take the TV networks to task for focusing on them).

You know this is the first time EVER that I've seen Stan Lee say anything about Marvel that wasn't all rosy and great....

Jim

Wha ??? how weird... the doom Avatar must still reside in your Explorer temp files... I've had the tintin for about two weeks now...

Press F5 a bunch of times and you should see Belgium's finest...

hehe ok, replace "WASP" with "whitebread" then. There's a big "mild-mannered white people are stupid" tone in American culture that motivated the "WASP" and "whitebread" comments, and that sweater/shirt/hair combo and facial expression in your icon looks like the epitomy of mild-mannered. Although I have no idea who "tintin" is or what he's about.

Although as you might be able to tell from the picture of me you posted, I'm a whitebread myself. shocked.gif

you seriously don't know who Tintin is ?

Dude, even Darth knows that ??... wink.gif

And the picture is from the 1930's and then the hairstyle was cool (as were his puffy pants which you can't see on the picture)

I don't think it will change your views if I tell you that Tintin lives with a little white dog and a rugged bearded sailor in a castle and they all go to the opera quite a lot grin.gif