• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A little Help with this AF #15

57 posts in this topic

Just received my Amazing Fantasy 15 back from CGC and it is graded as follows:

Apparent 6.5 - All three edges trimmed - off-white pages.

When I found the book, I thought that it had been trimmed, but I wanted to have it graded anyway (come on it's the first Spidey!). My concern is while I know that trimming is a defect, is it better/worse than having had the book restored??

Also, what is the value of this book??

I saw the following sell on Heritage just last week -

Heritage AF 15 CGC 5.5

Any comments on this matter would be most helpful.

Alas, here is a picture of my book. smile.gif

589a8b32eb47d_268305-AmazingFantasy6.5Trimmed001.jpg.091ed4d9d2d7ff954c600f5f9bcfad9a.jpg

Naw, that looks purple. Although it could easily be manipulated for a scammer's ebay auction tongue.gif

Umm, you wouldn't happen to be color-blind? grin.gif

Load up his pic, and the load up the Heritage auction's pic and compare them.

The label is purple, but the flash in the camera makes it appear a little blue. I had been looking at picking up this book for several months and I did not want to break the bank, but I wanted something nice to look at. While I would think that both trimming and professional/amatuer restoration are bad is one worse than the other??

Even though the rest of the book is as it was the day it was purchased??

Trimming is nasty business. I've got nothing against restored books (I happily own a few) and I would NEVER buy a trimmed book. My own feeling is trimmed book should not even receive a purple label. Calling trimming "restoration" is a disservice to all involved. They should be downgraded to GD or below for the paper loss and it should be noted on the label with a big scarlet T.

Trimming is nasty business. I've got nothing against restored books (I happily own a few) and I would NEVER buy a trimmed book.

Thanks for your opinion, but I am asking where and how can I determine the value for this book. Regardless of the trimming it is still the 1st Apperence of Spiderman and I would think that the book in this graded condition would at the very least be worth 5% of NM value.

If you don't have a solid basis for the valuation of this book, please direct me where I could find someone or info on how to value.

Opinions are nice, but they just tell me what you believe not what the market or industry state.

Sorry, I was just pitching in on the conversation. Speedjunkies commented that

"I think a minor color touch is not frowned upon as much as 3 trimmed edges. "

you asked...

"Even though the rest of the book is as it was the day it was purchased?"

I then answered.

As for valuation question- which I'm sorry I ignored in order to comment on a topic I'm interested in...

I really can't imagine it selling for more than $2000. GPA has a trimmed 6.0 in its database that sold for $1807 and three other restored FNs that have sold between 1800 and 2,700. A three edge trimmed book is, unless you get very lucky, going to come in on the low end of that scale.

Dude, you're not going to get closer to an approximate value for your purple-label 5.5 than the purple-label 5.5 Heritage book...UNLESS you find a purple-label 5.5 with "3 sides trimmed" just like yours! However, I would think yours would sell for less than one with light color touch. Search the Heritage database for sales records for this book and you might find another trimmed copy to compare it to. Alternatively, search the Heritage database for the word "trimmed", and then try to find the same book in the same grade untrimmed (or unrestored), and start your analysis that way.

No one is going to be able to tell you an exact number for this exact book, and comparing to similar books (purple-label 5.5's) is about as good as it's gonna get.

Early on in the hobby it was not frowned upon. It was, along with dabs of magic marker and tape, thought of as an amateur restorative technique.

Today, while it's not a part of a real restorer's toolkit, the unscrupulous do it in order to give a book the appearance of a higher grade. It can obviously tighten the corners and make edge wear magically disappear.

O.K. how about this:

All Select Comics #1

CGC 6.5

and then this (could find one with a similar grade)

CGC 7.5

I see the difference in price, although the All Select that is trimmed is only a 6.5 while the other is a 7.5, it gives me something to use as a basis (I am thinking that 25%-35% of the same graded comic will allow me a solid approx value.

Comments??

Thanks for the info.

Why would someone do this to a book, let alone this book??

Any one else have any info?

Post it on Ebay with a high reserve to get an idea of "value".

Why someone would do it is to take make a book that's in VG condition "look" like it's in a higher grade so they can sell it for more money.