Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
19 19

3,093 posts in this topic

2,767 posts
1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

Nothing special about this issue other than its being a good example of covers from this period.  Seems as if they used a variation of this gag a zillion times over the years.  You'd think Juggie would have eventually figured out that Archie has a different definition of fun! :)

arch.jpg

Colors are nice on that copy. Surprised that corner crease didn’t get dinged harder.  VG + old school Overstreet I’d say. 

23,002 posts

Can't remember if I already posted this one. Another gag that they used a lot in one form or another, although Juggie in a dress is an unusual, ah, variant. 

jug.jpg

23,002 posts
2 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Colors are nice on that copy. Surprised that corner crease didn’t get dinged harder.  VG + old school Overstreet I’d say. 

I think it's actually a scratch on the slab. Otherwise, yeah, definitely overgraded. 

2,767 posts
1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

I think it's actually a scratch on the slab. Otherwise, yeah, definitely overgraded. 

I don’t think CGC dings creases nearly as hard. Shoot subscription creases can get 6.5/7.0. 

23,002 posts
6 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

I don’t think CGC dings creases nearly as hard. Shoot subscription creases can get 6.5/7.0. 

Here's a book that make take the prize for most difficult crease to detect.

ca5993cb-9e84-4a2d-b477-cbfd7d6d5b6a_zps108rhoi0.jpg

24,325 posts
35 minutes ago, lotemo said:

I just got a cover for my coverless Pep #32!   The cover perfectly aligns with the staples on the coverless comic so it doesn't look like a married cover but instead looks like a book with the cover detached.  It makes me wonder if I'm really just reuniting the comic book with its original cover.

Nice!  :headbang:

(I forgot to bid at the end... lucky you)  lol

2,714 posts
1 hour ago, lotemo said:

I just got a cover for my coverless Pep #32!   The cover perfectly aligns with the staples on the coverless comic so it doesn't look like a married cover but instead looks like a book with the cover detached.  It makes me wonder if I'm really just reuniting the comic book with its original cover.

:baiting:

Any chance you have a cover for Archie 8 or a coverless Archie 7 kicking around in your parts box ?!

900 posts
20 minutes ago, Patriot6 said:

:baiting:

Any chance you have a cover for Archie 8 or a coverless Archie 7 kicking around in your parts box ?!

Unfortunately I don't,  :frown:

2,714 posts
19 minutes ago, lotemo said:

Unfortunately I don't,  :frown:

:sorry:

One of these days I tell ya' !!

5,316 posts
9 hours ago, lotemo said:

Pep_1942_032a.jpg

that is AWESOME!!!! 

18,175 posts

Anybody here get that Blue Ribbon #14 on the bay last night? Gino? What a barn burner! The last two minutes it just kept going up every few seconds. Was real low grade but presented nice. 

I love the Mr Justice issues and still need 3. Thought I had a chance for a while but quickly realized there was someone who wanted it REAL bad. I got left in the dust...

Congrats to the buyer. Great book!

31,972 posts
1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

blueribbon15.jpg

Was so close to buying this one. One of my many mistakes.

33,154 posts
1 minute ago, october said:

Was so close to buying this one. One of my many mistakes.

(worship)

2,351 posts

If only we could all be like MrBedrock.  He never passes up an opportunity to buy a great book.

33,154 posts
20 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

If only we could all be like MrBedrock.  He never passes up an opportunity to buy a great book.

Ha! Now that is funny!