• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why are these in different size slabs?

2 posts in this topic

I recently got back the first set of books I sent down to CGC to get graded. In the group there were two Batman #234's and a Batman #237. Both are the 52 page sized issues from 1971.

Both #234's that came back were in the same size slabs and the thickness is about 1/2 inch. There seems to be a code letter "I" on the back of the slab.

The #237 came back in a noticably thicker slab (about 3/4 inch). There is a code letter "O" on the back of the slab.

Now these books were on the same submittal sheet and are even consecutively numbered, so they should have been graded and slabbed at the same time.

So why are they in different size slabs? The books don't appear to be a different size and I can't imagine that DC switched to a "thicker" paper in the 4 months between these two issues.

I also got back two other 52 page issues. They were submitted/graded at a different time, and they are in the thicker slabs.

So what size slabs are most of those early 70's DC 52 pagers in, and why did my Batman's get two different sizes?

Gary J.

ECFANMAN

We actually have about 27 different sized wells that the books would go into. We will fit the book into the proper well depending on the size the thickness and even books that have been mis-cut. Sometimes identical books may get different wells because one book may differ slightly than the other, so we will choose the best fit possible for each book.