• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on pencil only pages?
1 1

70 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I have an interesting twist on this subject. I have two pieces from an artist who ink washed the final version, but penciled them on the backside in reverse, then light boxed from the pencils. the pencils were not finished, but were more than just breakdowns or roughs. Now, in my portfolio, I display the ink washed final version, but I have an acid free backing board behind it so that I can put another piece of art in that slot opposite the ink washed piece.

Should I get rid of the backing board, and display both sides? 

I would; I have a Modern panel page that has a redrawn panel on the back (from a different page - it was a nice bonus!) so I took out the backer board... looks like I have an incomplete page, but the panel is interesting enough that it stands on it's own well.

50 minutes ago, pinupcartooncollector said:

The problem with pencil pages today is that many look incomplete, meaning they're waiting for more than just inking.  Josh Middleton pages, for example, are really just outlines, and it feels like 2/3 of the work is done digitally.

True enough. The pieces I have are tight pencils and looks really close to the printed page so that was the perspective I was coming from.

1 hour ago, Hekla said:

If there are no other versions 'touched by the artists' hands' then you own the only original as well as the published version.

Similarly, I own a few pencil-only pages that were inked digitally (so I was told) and feel comfortable in knowing that I own the only original art for that page or cover.

In this case the inks are the only available artwork, agreed. I am not a fan of this but I understand the concept and I could see myself buying one of these if it spoke to me enough and the price was right. If I were to buy, I would ask for a print out of the "pencils" and have both together in a portfolio as reference. 

18 minutes ago, Hekla said:

I would; I have a Modern panel page that has a redrawn panel on the back (from a different page - it was a nice bonus!) so I took out the backer board... looks like I have an incomplete page, but the panel is interesting enough that it stands on it's own well.

Yeah. I have a sweet Will Meugniot DNA Agents DPS where he drew sexy pinups on the backs of each page. I think he was re-using the backs to practice character studies, but man they are nice. I DO display those.

The only problem I have is that the ink washed pages are not the thicker bristol board, so they are a bit flimsier. 

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Yeah. I have a sweet Will Meugniot DNA Agents DPS where he drew sexy pinups on the backs of each page. I think he was re-using the backs to practice character studies, but man they are nice. I DO display those.

The only problem I have is that the ink washed pages are not the thicker bristol board, so they are a bit flimsier. 

Grab a couple of mylars or a slightly thicker piece of acrylic and use that as a transparent backing.

17 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Grab a couple of mylars or a slightly thicker piece of acrylic and use that as a transparent backing.

Great idea. And so obvious!

One of the pieces, especially, should have the pencils displayed, because the artist used a slightly different character design (the character had an additional, very interesting feature) that was not used in the final version.  As the series this page is from goes on, that little change in character design becomes more important from a story standpoint.

It's pretty damn cool.

i only have 2 pencil only pages.  They're by esad ribic and were colored directly from the pencils.

As long as the pencils are tight and there are no blue-line inks, I see no problem.  If there are blue line inks, I always do my best to track down that page as well and keep them as a set.

I have an Ottley / Rathburn (I think) inked Invincible page and I have no idea if there is a corresponding pencil's only Ottley page floating around out there. This type of situation seems to have been much more rare prior to modern technology / techniques, and I have to admit... it is a bit of a headache and one of the basket full of legitimate reasons that people shy away from modern collecting. 

21 hours ago, dirtymartini1 said:

Deodato's pencils are so hard and dark its super hard to tell, even in person.

Same with this Bong Dazo I have. The paper is indented he was bearing down so hard-

598c971f29869_BongDazoDarkseidWarSupermanp2-3.thumb.jpg.3031f035f0972adb5b3284d05638fba3.jpg

It's actually darker in person. I think most of the greying is just scanner glare.

21 hours ago, dirtymartini1 said:

As I rule, I never buy pencil only but you know what happens to rules.....sometimes you have to have it. Ink be damned! Deodato's pencils are so hard and dark its super hard to tell, even in person.

dark avengers 5.JPG

I totally agree - Mike's pencil only pages are beautiful and it is really hard to tell that there is no ink on the page even when looking at them in person as I have several myself and always looking for more!