• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2nd String DC Sci-Fi
1 1

1,249 posts in this topic

I'm trying to figure out how to ID the artists from this era at DC.

GCD says Dillin/Moldoff on 46. Nope, I wouldn't have guessed it, but the spiky coats and bobble heads of those goooony lookin' aliens do remind me of a Batman alien cover.

GCD says Bob Brown on 52. I would have gotten that one right!

You can be sure that a decade earlier at a different publisher, SR would have been displaying Myra TOWARD the reader!

Fun books, nice copies!

Jack

I was going to keep this thread "pre-hero", but I will admit it... I am a Space Ranger fan.. there I said it.. Say what you will about SR, but ya gotta love the color on these covers..

TOTU_46.jpg

TOTU_52.jpg

Howdy!

I'm back with some great issues of MY GREATEST ADVENTURE.

First up is MGA #17 - one of my favorite gray tone covers. This issue (like alot of my DC sci-fi) contains a wonderful Kirby sci-fi story.

MGA_17.jpg

I don't know what it is about the cover of MGA #20, but it so intrigued me, that I picked it up at a NYC comic show in '82 and that started me on collecting DC Sci-Fi.

Oh, there's a Kirby story inside too...

MGA_20.jpg

Edited by AtlasFan

Another great "spaceman" cover on MGA #22 - this is an interesting issue, as it contains 3 types of stories: a sci-fi, a western, and a knight story. Great cover...

MGA_22.jpg

Edited by AtlasFan

MGA #28 - This one is also one of my favorite covers, and its a killer copy. I just love the colors on the guy's mask.

Also, there is a great Kirby monster story inside that could have been published a few years later in an Atlas mag.

MGA_28.jpg

Next up... MGA#18 - I believe this is the only Kirby grey tone cover...ever. Great monster cover and story.

MGA_18.jpg

This is an under-rated cover -- love the fiery gem alien creature-thingy -- but I don't see any greytone effects.

Next up... MGA#18 - I believe this is the only Kirby grey tone cover...ever. Great monster cover and story.

MGA_18.jpg

This is an under-rated cover -- love the fiery gem alien creature-thingy -- but I don't see any greytone effects.

I think there are some slight grey tones on this cover. Maybe its not coming thru on the scan, but I do see some of the traditional soft blurring on the hunter's face that's apparent in other grey tones. Then again, maybe I need glasses.

Howdy!

I'm back with some great issues of MY GREATEST ADVENTURE.

First up is MGA #17 - one of my favorite gray tone covers. This issue (like alot of my DC sci-fi) contains a wonderful Kirby sci-fi story.

MGA_17.jpg

Nice (thumbs u

I've come to appreciate this cover more and more and I think it's because it's much more "adult" than most of the other gray tones. The composition by Moreira is subtle rather than sensational and the coloring, while not using the striking DC red or green, is quite impressive.

MGA_18.jpg

I think there are some slight grey tones on this cover. Maybe its not coming thru on the scan, but I do see some of the traditional soft blurring on the hunter's face that's apparent in other grey tones. Then again, maybe I need glasses.

You need glasses. :baiting:

Just kidding. There are a variety of effects for gray tones and sometime a technique is only partially applied leading to a gray area of "is it enough to be a gray tone?" If you look at HOM 85 that I posted it's example where there is work by the colorist that is almost certainly not related to the underlying pencils and inks. When done extensively this can make the book be considered a graytone. I don't think it does in the case of HOM 85 but everyone's free to form their own opinion. In the case of MGA 17 it's pretty straight-forward to call it a gray tone because the underlying original art is a painting done in shades of gray that is then colored to achieve an overall color painterly effect.

Post the MGA walking snowman cover. Greatest Sci Fi campy cover ever.

It's from Strange Adv which is not a 2nd String DC Sci Fi title (tsk)

SA79.jpg

Post the MGA walking snowman cover. Greatest Sci Fi campy cover ever.

It's from Strange Adv which is not a 2nd String DC Sci Fi title (tsk)

SA79.jpg

Always found this particular issue # to be hard to find.

2c

Great pictures in this thread

:cloud9:

No Kirby art here, but who can resist this great Moreira Egyptian goddess cover?

MGA_19.jpg

Anyone know who did the cover art on this one? I see some Kubert in there.

Grand Comic Book Database credits Ruben Moreira, pencils and inks: MGA#19 as AtlasFan suggests.

Dennis

No Kirby art here, but who can resist this great Moreira Egyptian goddess cover?

MGA_19.jpg

Anyone know who did the cover art on this one? I see some Kubert in there.

I believe it is Moreira. His style here is a bit Kubert-ish. A great book-end to this comic is SHOWCASE #25 - Rip Hunter in ancient Egypt. Great stuff!

Bill