• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2nd String DC Sci-Fi
1 1

1,249 posts in this topic

btw, this thread gets my vote for best thread of 2007. I love these books.

Thanks Jeffro, that makes it all worthwhile! You know, going thru these lil' gems has made me realize just how truly great they are.

Next up, some House of Mystery..

Bill

Edited by AtlasFan

I believe it is Moreira. His style here is a bit Kubert-ish. A great book-end to this comic is SHOWCASE #25 - Rip Hunter in ancient Egypt. Great stuff!

Bill

I agree -- it's Moreira -- and a nice one at that.

And another "lady under glass cover". I wonder if sales jumped when they used this motif?

HOM_72.jpg

Something jumped!

(somebody had to write it -- I live to serve)

Great set of covers! There are several "lady under glass" collectors on the forum, right? The pinnacle was Weird Science 20 -- 50 of 'em! Some great pulp covers too.

Jack

This is one of my all-time favorite Kirby covers (next to HOM #85 - which appears ealier in this thread).

This is seen by some as a prototype to the Doom Patrol's Negative Man (who would debut a couple of years later)..and they may have a point. The character is very similar - the Negative Man comes and goes from the body of his host scientist.

The Neg Man here, however, is much closer in appearace to the Kirby Torch as he appeared in FF1 (mostly yellow and light orange). Great story.

HOM_84.jpg

Hi, my name is zzutak, and I'm no longer ashamed to admit that I'm a huge fan of all of the DC fantasy/sci-fi anthology titles from the 10-cent era. They don't carry the caché of the big pre-code horror titles, but they've always had a special place in my own collection. As capt_comics and others have correctly noted, most of these books are nearly impossible to find in high grade.

I'm pleased to share scans of a few of the missing issues in the MGA run (as well as a few dupes that I'd just like to see again). Enjoy!

MGA010.jpg

MGA011.jpg

MGA012.jpg

MGA013.jpg

MGA014.jpg

MGA015.jpg

MGA016.jpg

MGA017.jpg

MGA021.jpg

MGA025.jpg

I dunno, something about this cover just creeps me out. oooo scary big green hand!

HOM_80.jpg

Nice comics, AF. :applause:

DC used the "big hand" on several other occasions. There's a Batman cover as well as Strange Adventures 110.

Howdy ZZutak!

Being a fan of DC Sci-Fi is nothing to ever be ashamed of... In fact, it shows you have exquisite taste in funny books!

Wonderful MGA covers ZZutak. I love that 14 with the gorilla cover. NICE!!!

Bill

And another "lady under glass cover". I wonder if sales jumped when they used this motif?

Something jumped!

(somebody had to write it -- I live to serve)

Great set of covers! There are several "lady under glass" collectors on the forum, right? The pinnacle was Weird Science 20 -- 50 of 'em! Some great pulp covers too.

Jack

Yes, the "lady under glass" was very popular in the golden age. The Timley thread in the Golden Age section has some nice Marvel Mystery Comics with this motif. Great stuff.

Bill

Awesome thread!

Here's a grey tone that is one of my favorites...

I love the pink sky in this cover. The story of the Saragaso Sea reminds me of one of my favorite Hammer films: THE LOST CONTINENT (its quite a little gem of a film).

Bill

Some real beauties here!

Just check my posts if you want to see books to be ashamed of! :grin:

All of these are from the DC "amazing cover inks" era.

I really like 12 with the terrific monochromatic mirage images (How is this done? The colorist take the inks directly to one of the available colors somehow?)

Graytone 17 is probably one of the best covers in the first part of the MGA run!

Looking forward to seeing more of your collection.

Jack

Hi, my name is zzutak, and I'm no longer ashamed to admit that I'm a huge fan of all of the DC fantasy/sci-fi anthology titles from the 10-cent era. They don't carry the caché of the big pre-code horror titles, but they've always had a special place in my own collection. As capt_comics and others have correctly noted, most of these books are nearly impossible to find in high grade.

I'm pleased to share scans of a few of the missing issues in the MGA run (as well as a few dupes that I'd just like to see again). Enjoy!

MGA012.jpg

MGA017.jpg

Awesome thread!

Here's a grey tone that is one of my favorites...

I love the pink sky in this cover. The story of the Saragaso Sea reminds me of one of my favorite Hammer films: THE LOST CONTINENT (its quite a little gem of a film).

Bill

I've seen it, or most of it, but couldn't recall the name. It's like watching a train wreck -- lurid, grim and grotesque but compelling.