• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

advice for new collectors

186 posts in this topic

Don't tug on Superman's cape; don't spit into the wind; and don't, don't, don't mess around with Jim!

So, why are you allowing him to pull the mask off the ole' Lone Ranger? confused-smiley-013.gif

This is advice for Newbies, Greg; let's see how they handle these first, then introduce the admonishment regarding LR! (baby steps) insane.gif

I've been buying comic books on Ebay from the Golden Age to the Modern Age for the past 2 years. There are many good deals to be had on Ebay, but there are plenty of frauds to offset these deals. Until I became adjusted to the system I got burnt many times. My advice is to start slow by purchasing $10 to $15 books for the first 4 or 5 months before going after the higher priced ones.

As a caution, do not buy any books from the seller "Cuteypie82". He would auction off vintage books such as Amazing Spider-Man #1 and X-Men #1. All these books have been previously CGC graded and are restored books. He buys them, takes them out of their CGC holders and sells them off as his 30 year old collection. People are expecting Fine to Very Fine books and receiving very good restored books. Also be careful of in_the_attic_toys, he lists vintage books on Ebay, which he does not own. I filed a fraud complaint, but never received my books or my $700 back. There are plenty of others like this on Ebay, so watch out. As other people have mentioned, be very careful of buying $500 worth of comic books from someone that has a feedback rating of less than 10.

After a couple of bad dealings, the only vintage comic books I pruchase have to be CGC graded and from reputable sellers. Buyers always make the mistake of thinking that it's better to buy a book advertised as VF+ than to pay slightly extra for a CGC graded VF+. We trick ourselves into believing that we might receive a book that has a potential for NM (9.4) grading (from the scans and description). From past experience, and from sending books I purchased on Ebay to be CGC graded, I've always received a lower score than what was advertised. Many times, the grade was much lower. Sometimes sellers will tell you that the book is a VF+, no better than VF/NM, but not less than a VF. This sentence usually means that the book you're purchasing will receive a FN/VF grading by CGC. Also, don't ever fall for seller's tricks, where they will tell you that they're out of money and they need to pay their bills, therefore, they're willing to sell their vintage books at half price. I've lost a lot of money thinking that I could outsmart the seller.

My other advice is that other than vintage 1940' and 1950's Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc. books, the other books are aplenty on Ebay. Don't ever get into bidding battles with another determined Ebayer. I've done this in the past where me and this other person are back and forth until I wind up paying $600 for a Spider-Man issue, and then next week that same graded issue will sell for half that price.

Make sure to use the Overstreet Price guide for reference, and don't ever pay anything higher than what's listed at VF/NM and less. There are a lot of inflated books out there such as Amazing Spider-man #129 (1st Punisher). These books are selling for 3 times price guide because of the Punisher film. Trust me after the film is done, they won't be able to get their money back. That's why I don't buy any Hulk or Daredevil comic books. The prices for these books have already reached their peak because of the movies' success. Also, avoid buying non key issues that are CGC graded at 9.8. For instance, I've noticed that Ultimate Spider-Man #1 is selling at over $500 for a 9.8 grading. Once people owning this book realize this, they will all send their #1 books to be CGC graded and receive the same grade. At that time there will be thousands of 9.8 CGC'd for this book, therefore, driving the price down in the future. I guarantee that 3 years from now a 9.8 graded Ultimate Spider-man #1 will not sell for more than $100.

These days I'm mostly buying 40's and 50's CGC'd Batman and Superman books because a lot of people are not aware that several movies are in the works for these characters. These books are much scarcer than the 60's marvel books. Same thing goes for Iron Man, Sub Mariner and Captain America, as far as a movie being in the works. These books are currently selling at 3/4 of guide prices. At the same time, you can't go wrong with purchasing high grade vintage Amazing Spider-Man, X-Men and Fantastic Four comics. These books will always be popular.

As a personal preference, I would much rather own X-Men #101 - 110 CGC graded at 9.4 than to spend $2,000 on one issue of X-Men #101. Nothing personal against CGC, but they would even tell you that the difference between a 9.8 and 9.4 is very minor. For the life of me, I just can't see people buying a 9.9 graded book for 20 times the guide value 10 years from now. Let's just say for instance that your CGC holder cracks and your book is exposed to some harmful elements, that might drop it to a 9.6. If this happens, then the value would drop ten fold. However, if you spend $3000 on a rare Golden Age 8.0 CGC graded book, then its grade and value would not drop significantly over a long period of time. I guess what I'm saying is that 9.8 and 9.9 books are good short term investments, but no one knows what the long term effects will be (10 to 20 years from now).

Good post skybolt.I`ve been in the hobby for 10 yrs or(off and on) but have limited expearience in buying from ebay.I do know that with ebay you are usually safer to go with a CGC book than a raw one.Like you,I have found that often the books are overgraded.It`s not a good feeling to be drooling for that book in VF/NM you won and then to find out it is more like a VF-(or has a hidden defect).So far I only own three CGC books(all from ebay)but I like the peace of mind of knowing what I get.

You are right about ole Spidey.ASMs from the 60s-80s increase in guide value on a consistant basis...kinda like inflation,eh? My advice to a newer collector would be if you enjoy ASM find a couple at a grade and price you can live with and....BUY IT! I inventoried my bronze ASMs recently and could`nt believe the books I had bought for chump change added up to $1356.00! I`d never sell any of them,though....each one has a story.haha

Don't buy any early 1990's books unless you really like the story line cause those books were so overprinted you could probably build a few rainforests with the paper used.

Brian

Agreed, I loved the New Warriors, but there are so many of them theyre practically worthless..

When I first got back into comics as an adult, I still just bought comics to read them. How will you know what comics you will like? maybe what you read as a kid, or maybe just pick up a month supply of dc, marvel and some indy comics and read them. Just because someone else likes brand x comic doesn't mean you will like it. read until you find your favorites. don't start collecting at first. in fact give your first comics away or burn them so you can join the "wish I hadn't gotten rid of that @#%$ comic when I first started collecting club" like the rest of us.

Advice to live by.

3. Sell your rarest books first.

(These are worth the most, so get lots of money for em. Don't worry you'll get em again)

)

I am returning to collecting after selling big chunks of a collection in 1981 and the valuable chunks of another one in 2000? or 1999.....Have you been following me around? I buy what I like...I bought what I liked back then too. Sure, they are worth more money now but.... you know selling f plus marvels from 63-72 getting much bigger bucks than I had paid for them( most of the older stuff was free it was put out to the curb by a neighbor when they moved) seemed like a hell of a deal in 1981....By 1986 I was actively collecting again

Ebaying all those X comics I had sitting in storage when that movie came out got me 2K....and I could probably buy everyone I sold back for less now( unless they were slabbed) frankly...and I probably will mad.gif

I sold the first time because I was too "old" for collecting and wanted cash. I sold the second because I had stopped buying and actively collecting when I got married( My wife was a succubus if I made a dollar she spent 2)) and they had just been hanging around for 7 years.

Last year I had back surgery and picked up some comics while recovering. Here it is a yr later and I am full blown collecting again. I feel like Al Pacino in the Godfather 3...just when I got out they sucked me back in

I am lucky in that a lot of the commons I just kept because they didnt sell in the early 80s are not so common now and I have a lot of the other X titles other than Uncanny because they just werent worth the effort of EBAYING although, they are all no better than f/vf 10-20 years in the same bag in cold/hot storage yellowed them. blush.gif

If I ever marry again and she doesn't like the comics well.... that's what Lawyers are for grin.gif

Ebay has been great for me I had one bad experience with grading but overall I bought a lot of the back issues had missed and many of those I sold from the late 80s early 90s for less than half what i would of paid at a dealer. At first i bought small lots then I started bidding on the big ones and doing the wait till there was 10 seconds left to put in my max bid( just so if their is a disreputeable dealer driving his own price up I dont get screwed as easily) I know most aren't like that but their are scam artists out there.

The biggest change i have seen is the grading and having only bought stuff 85-2004 so far I didnt get burned badly. I did buy some f/vf newer books out of dealer bins w/o reallly realizing it but you know...they were 90s X men it's not like they are ever going to be rare unless California and Ny burn down.

I figuire I am now up to speed enough to start buying some books that have some element of rarity rather than just high prices because of "hotness". I apprecitae the marvel stamps commnet I remeber getting burned by that now in the 80s. The nice thing about having collected and sold is I realize that the next "longshot" mini series isnt really an investment it's a speculative bubble. 15 yrs ago the books were on the wall now they are in the bargain bin. Buying and collecting what you like is the onyl way to go imo. I figuire my plan to retire at 55 is probably going to be 59 or 62 now wink.gif but, damn I like collecting comics again

The whole slab thing is beyond me. I don't want valuable books in a sealed peice of plastic. Hell, it might as well be a photo then. I will buy them naked and mylar them....if, I get some screwy notion to sell in 20 yrs again and slabbing is still an industry standard I can always do that. I understand that as an investment tool it's a great concept as long as no one gets greedy and corrupts the system enough to discredit it but I invest in my 401k and frankly it's had a better return than comics the last 15 yrs even with the crash...I collect comics today and hopefully my kid will be in his 70s and sell my collection for enough money to subsidize his privatized social security cool.gif. If at some point I get out of collecting again it's pretty clear if a book really is high grade it's well worth the cost of slabbing it. I see what they sell for and go HOLY [#@$%!!!] ...but that's me a old newbie collector

-Don't collect for the money. Collect for the love of the stories, the love of the art, for the love of comics.

-Don't be so concerned with purchasing vintage (old) comics in the beggining stages, because remember - as time goes buy, your modern books will go up in value. Vintage books are great, too, though.

-Always bag and board your books after every read.

-Read the Overstreet, talk to comic collectors, become friends with the owners of your local comic stores.

talk to comic collectors, become friends with the owners of your local comic stores.

Sadly not the easiest thing to do. Some of my LCS owners are sourest men ive ever met in my life. There are a couple though, so i end up avoiding the sour shops. crazy.gif

talk to comic collectors, become friends with the owners of your local comic stores.

Sadly not the easiest thing to do. Some of my LCS owners are sourest men ive ever met in my life. There are a couple though, so i end up avoiding the sour shops. crazy.gif

There are comic shops in Carlisle?? 893whatthe.gif

There are comic shops in Carlisle?? 893whatthe.gif

Ja! There is only one frown.gif But the owner is a nice guy who chats to me whenever i go in smile.gif The sour ones are in Glasgow. One shop (City Collectibles) has the worst. he looks down his nose at you and assumes his collection is better than everyone elses. Christo_pull_hair.gif

This reminds me of a funny story. My wife didn't much care for my comic collecting when we first got married. One nice summer day we're sitting around watching TV and she picks up one of my Amazing Spiderman books that was out and starts reading it. She gets a few pages into it and a fly or something lands on the open book. "SWAT" she kills the fly by smacking it open handed onto the open comic. I wish I had a picture of the horrified look on my face. "No more

comics for you honey" 893censored-thumb.gif

What issue was it?

if it was anything other than a common I'td be grounds for a divorce in my opinion 893naughty-thumb.gif