• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,113 posts in this topic

Two books in today. I wouldn't quite call either of them a grail; but they're both in whatever category is just shy of full grail status.

First up:  The August 1939 issue of Unknown.  Forget the cover story; I wanted this for Fritz Leiber's "Two Sought Adventure".  First appearance of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser!

Unknown_1939_08.jpg

And, secondly:  The November 1940 issue of Marvel Stories.  This is the one with Simon & Kirby illustrations and a one-page comic format ad for Marvel Mystery with the Human Torch by Carl Burgos.  I'm going to cross-post this one over in the Timely thread with some photos of interior pages shortly:

Marvel_Science_2_2.jpg

Picked up a collecton of weird tales in nice shape with the following stamps located on the first page of the books. Hamilton-Brackett and Williamson.  Does anyone have information on if these have any significance or not.  I was told that they are from collections of the Authors of the Weird Tales series but have no actual proof on this other than the word of the individual who sold it to me. Any information would be appreciated.  I did have some of these listed in a FS thread but didn't seem to garner that much interest.   

IMG_20180821_142045.jpg

IMG_20180824_124200.jpg

IMG_20180815_111539.jpg

IMG_20180820_130628.jpg

This same question was posted earlier this year -- probably in this thread.  Those are probably copies from the library of Brackett and Hamilton.

Leigh Brackett was the wife of Edmond Hamilton and both authored stories for Weird Tales.  Brackett also had a side career writing screen plays for Howard Hawks and lastly for George Lucas (first draft of The Empire Strikes Back).  Julie Schwartz brought Hamilton in to write stories for DC in Strange Adventures and Mystery In Space.

I've not seen the Williamson stamp before but it is possible that it refers to Al Williamson as he was dedicated collector from a very early age.

15 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

This same question was posted earlier this year -- probably in this thread.  Those are probably copies from the library of Brackett and Hamilton.

Leigh Brackett was the wife of Edmond Hamilton and both authored stories for Weird Tales.  Brackett also had a side career writing screen plays for Howard Hawks and lastly for George Lucas (first draft of The Empire Strikes Back).  Julie Schwartz brought Hamilton in to write stories for DC in Strange Adventures and Mystery In Space.

I've not seen the Williamson stamp before but it is possible that it refers to Al Williamson as he was dedicated collector from a very early age.

Thanks for the information.   That was me that posted earlier this year.  Wanted to see if I could garner more information.  In regards to the Willimason is this the renowned GA artist you are referring too?

10 minutes ago, mstrange said:

In regards to the Willimason is this the renowned GA artist you are referring too? 

Yes.  Heritage sold a sliver of his art collection a couple years ago.

Edited by adamstrange

On 8/24/2018 at 6:40 PM, adamstrange said:

Yes.  Heritage sold a sliver of his art collection a couple years ago.

I suspect the Williamson stamp is from Jack Williamson, not Al.  Jack was a longtime sci-fi writer, who was in lots of early pulps.  His first published work appeared in the December 1928 Amazing Stories, and he published his last novel in 2005.

1 hour ago, RedFury said:

I suspect the Williamson stamp is from Jack Williamson, not Al.  Jack was a longtime sci-fi writer, who was in lots of early pulps.  His first published work appeared in the December 1928 Amazing Stories, and he published his last novel in 2005.

I know that Al W. collected comics but have no clue as to pulps.  I defer to your suggestion of the more likely Williamson being Jack.

1 hour ago, RedFury said:

Seconding this.  Given the similarity of the stamps, they may have been stamped before going out as comp copies to contributors to the title.  Although the one book I have with the Hamilton-Brackett stamp doesn't have a story by them

30 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Seconding this.  Given the similarity of the stamps, they may have been stamped before going out as comp copies to contributors to the title.  Although the one book I have with the Hamilton-Brackett stamp doesn't have a story by them

If anyone is interested I have sent a good portion of the collection off to comicconnect for there winter auction.  I sent them what I knew about the stamps in the books.  Hopefully they'll mention it when they list them.

On 8/22/2018 at 2:11 PM, OtherEric said:

And, secondly:  The November 1940 issue of Marvel Stories.  This is the one with Simon & Kirby illustrations and a one-page comic format ad for Marvel Mystery with the Human Torch by Carl Burgos.  I'm going to cross-post this one over in the Timely thread with some photos of interior pages shortly:

Marvel_Science_2_2.jpg

I need to get another one of these.

DE81EADB-DA77-4718-954A-AB84AC1C2B66.jpeg.291d39b0e291ea27312ad42533e4bd4f.jpeg

Which has this in it.

061FDB14-D6C4-4342-BFEA-E30ECA47DD47.png.90a357ef7f8fc431041d35cb41f88d22.png