• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,152 posts in this topic

Quote:

Alan Ladd

Richard Crenna

James Arness

I hadn't made the connection, but I'd have sworn this was Randolph Scott. Now I'm sure it must be.

z-Star-Western-February-195.jpg

"Do not foresake me oh my darling..."

Originally Posted By: PokerKid
The Bethlehem:

z-Star-Western-December-1943.jpg

Alan Ladd

1943 is early so it's probably not Larry Admire but it sure does look like him. Admire was a prominent male model for various high profile pulp artists -

64187.jpg.baa972a70bddcdc0767c68ec500c254a.jpg

nice books, Theagenes! When was that Skullface printed? 1940s?

Thanks! It was published by August Derleth's Arkham House in 1946. It's the earliest edition of any of Howard's works in book form that is realistically available (A Gent from Bear Creek was first published in Britain in 1937, but only 6 copies exist, most of them in libraries).

No, though I was sorely tempted and if I could catch one at a good discount I'd definately try and snag any of them. The prices on them shot up a little too much too quickly, especially the Solomon Kane volume, but they've started to come down a bit. It's a real shame that it doesn't look like the third Conan volume will ever be released in a limited format. :(

Did you get any of them?

Thanks! It was published by August Derleth's Arkham House in 1946. It's the earliest edition of any of Howard's works in book form that is realistically available (A Gent from Bear Creek was first published in Britain in 1937, but only 6 copies exist, most of them in libraries).

And in Bangzoom's collection????

Congratulations on all the great purchases. :applause:

I had to double-check to see if I had the September Weird Tales.

It didn't look familiar. :o

Thanks! It's one of my favorite Brundage covers - a nice, balanced composition. :)

And in Bangzoom's collection????

lol At this point it wouldn't surprise me. Probably has the dust jacket too. Only one of the 6 copies still has the dj (the copy owned by Derleth and then Glenn Lord). There was also a "cheap edition" (whatever that means - wrappers maybe?) published in 1938 - no known copy exists. :(

Here is a great article on collecting Howard 1st editions from Firsts magazine in 2000:

Collecting Robert E. Howard