• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,115 posts in this topic

Something different.

Each is among the list of the first few hundred comics produced. Both are actually each half comic/half pulp. Hybrids from when different publishers were still trying to figure out what a comic book should look like. As such it can be found in both comic and pulp price guides.

Don Winslow was a major Navy recruiting tool during WWII, in the same way that Captain America, Uncle Sam, or Rosy the Riveter were used for the army to varying degrees for the same purpose either directly or indirectly.

The first issue is the highest graded and one of only 4 copies publicly known to exist. Recent purchase courtesy of Mark Zaid through Heritage.

The second is one of only 2 copies known, neither of which have been graded. This particular copy was pictured on the 4th page of inserts inside the center of the 2005 Bookery's pulp price guide I'm sure of which most of you have copies. This one's been kicking around in one of my personal boxes for half a decade.

As far as I know, only complete set of both issues in the world.

I cried like a little person_without_enough_empathy when I completed the set.

160851.jpg.feba8fbddf3f86645e421dc45bbfe451.jpg

Something different.

Each is among the list of the first few hundred comics produced. Both are actually each half comic/half pulp. Hybrids from when different publishers were still trying to figure out what a comic book should look like. As such it can be found in both comic and pulp price guides.

Don Winslow was a major Navy recruiting tool during WWII, in the same way that Captain America, Uncle Sam, or Rosy the Riveter were used for the army to varying degrees for the same purpose either directly or indirectly.

The first issue is the highest graded and one of only 4 copies publicly known to exist. Recent purchase courtesy of Mark Zaid through Heritage.

The second is one of only 2 copies known, neither of which have been graded. This particular copy was pictured on the 4th page of inserts inside the center of the 2005 Bookery's pulp price guide I'm sure of which most of you have copies. This one's been kicking around in one of my personal boxes for half a decade.

I have the reprint of the 2nd one, which is unfortunately in black and white but it's better than nothing. Of course, the comic pages in the issues are by none other than Sheldon Mayer...

In short, you have no idea how much I envy you those two books!

Something different.

Congrats on completing it, Matthew! :applause: It's great to see such cool books united in a set.

Thanks. I'm excited as hell to have them both.

One of those things on your want list that your virtually certain you'll never own because it's so rare.

Do you guys want to see some other really rare stuff, or complete sets of a bunch of scarce pulps?

Thanks. I'm excited as hell to have them both.

One of those things on your want list that your virtually certain you'll never own because it's so rare.

Do you guys want to see some other really rare stuff, or complete sets of a bunch of scarce pulps?

Yes please!

Sorry Mr myst. I don't own that. But if you want to see a pic of that, phil has one on his website.

To the rest of you, Ok, here's a few of the gems. I collect pretty much rare pulps and all scifi small presses; which pretty much came out of pulps, so here's a couple dozen pics of either/or with whatever history I know of each without bothering to do research. If you don't like reading just skip to the pics.

1 & 2. Todd keeps teasing you with the issues of Oriental and Magic one by one. Here is group shots of both the sets. Technically one series, (there was a name change after the first 9 issues) the books are actually the second sister publication to Weird Tales (the first being Detective Tales/Real Detective Tales). All issues have Brundage covers, and most have Robert E Howard stories. This set has all 14 issues in fine or very fine. This is one of only a few complete sets that exist.

3 & 4. Here's a complete set of Yen Sin and Wu Fang. These were also sister publications to each other if you can call them that. Both only lasted for a few issues before folding. They are probably the most sought after of the Hero pulps, and also the toughest to find in high grade. I'd personally grade them as uncommon to scarce in any condition, and very rare in high grade. This is probably the 2nd or 3rd highest graded set in the world

5. Dr Death went for only 3 issues. It was a rebranding of All Detective Magazine that would focus more on that character (Like Detective comics with Batman, or Battle Aces with G-8). It still didn't sell well. One of only 4 complete sets I personally know of, but I'm sure there is double or triple that out there. These are scarce, or very rare in high grade.

160889.jpg.142faebdf4c188c7ed78634429dc192d.jpg

160890.jpg.878796e0bdf1ed1b492dea1d64bb4601.jpg

160891.jpg.70d01e66eaddda2c9bf464625c9701e2.jpg

160892.jpg.020b493eca2c7eaa06ec13636852c841.jpg

160893.jpg.e93c7c40fac6a01ce375260958c16535.jpg

6. Harlem Stories First Issue. This is the only pulp that was made specifically for African American people. It didn't sell well and lasted for two issues. Long story short, black people of the 1930's generally couldn't read, didn't have extra spending money for novelties like this, and couldn't care less what some white guy thought about them. The only other copy I personally know of was Frank Robinson's copy that sold in 2012. His copy was in VG- condition. As Frank was known to have the highest graded of just about anything in high collection in the world, that should let you know how rare this is that he couldn't find a better copy in the 40 years he collected. This copy is in VF condition (pulp grade). Probably a 9.0 if we are talking comics. Easily the highest graded of the few remaining copies that exist. It's perfect except for two tiny millimeter size areas on the book.

7. This is the first issue of New York Stories. It one of only two pulps/slicks that have crossover interest to high end antique motorcycle collectors. (Think Jay Leno's car collection, except motorcycles instead). The other issue with interest is the December 1934 copy of film fun that usually runs 500 in high grade. But for every 50 copies of that magazine that are out there, there is one of these. This is one of only two I personally know of. The other sold on ebay in VG condition for 2000 last year. This copy is also probably the best in the world being VF.

8. Gun Molls went for 19 issues. This is the first issue. Roughly in F+/VF- condition. It's close to perfect with only a little overhang curling. Easily the rarest of all gangster style pulps, in general, one copy of any one of the 19 issues will come up for sale somewhere every 2 years or so. (What can I say, Collectors like bad girls). Also a contender for best copy still extant. Notice the main story titled Gorilla Girl (as if machine guns and scantily clad women weren't cool enough)

9. The First issue of Prison Stories. Another very high grade copy. This book closed after 6 issues I believe (without looking it up). This is the most sought after cover where they are taking a beautiful young woman to pay a visit to Ol' Sparkey.

10. This is the first issue of Artists and models, and the second issue of Strange suicides. I'd day they are both very rare issues. The suicides issue is high grade, the artist issue is low grade. Both are the only copy of either publication and/or issue I've seen up for sale in the last 5 years. Also, both are bedsheet sized.

160894.jpg.43715b053891aae23b3ab780841e4df2.jpg

160895.jpg.f454aa112404e4c84ddb362a431d3a72.jpg

160896.jpg.36b610b4e7d5c1dc0f7a2fa21830410a.jpg

160897.jpg.f8fdecaa4c661e2667f06b92fb50ba24.jpg

160898.jpg.bb8c11f375486d6092f65c828a71da17.jpg

11, 12, & 13. Danger Trails was an early action fiction sort of pulp. It ran for 50+ issues starting in the 1920's having two name changes (Adventure Trails and Wide World Adventures) before it folded. It never did too well in it's entire publication run. Usually one copy of one of the issues pops up for sale every one year or so. The majority of these books have only a handful of copies still existent. The grades on these vary from good to fine, but with something this rare you have to make concessions. This is almost sure to be the largest collection of this title in the world.

14. Stage and screen stories is a very rare girly pulp. It's believed to have gone for either 5, 6, 7, or 8 issues, but bibliographers still haven't been able to figure it out. Here is 4 of the 5 issues that are absolutely sure to be known to exist (possibly issues 2, 4, 5, and 6) . The bathtub lady issue is by far the most common (if rare can ever be common), and the most sought after.

15. These are 7 issues from two different girls titles (Snappy detectives, and Snappy Romances). Both went for only a handful of issues, and had several name changes each. These are bedsheet sized and staplebound. Also among the rarest of all girly pulps. All in high grade again.

160899.jpg.c2c482b04d0958d05327ac6b3d009145.jpg

160900.jpg.2cc3ac1f00b341a7d2b871490f157d70.jpg

160901.jpg.48bcb3a9e74599b442de20033ff0a8c0.jpg

160902.jpg.867f2537d43e970d507c07235aa188a2.jpg

160903.jpg.6ff0cd0c63a6a0149071384c4d59e938.jpg

16. Complete set of Dan Dunn. Lasted for two issues. The number 2 is about 5 times as rare as the number 1. I'd say they are uncommon, and rare respectively. Hard to get a complete set in any grade because of this.

17. Red Mask/Red Hood. Another complete title that lasted only 3 issues with a name change attempt to rebrand it. Only complete set I know of in any condition (although I'm sure there is more). These are in fine condition, and a little bit less rare than some of the other stuff I've been showing you. Along with another issue of a later pulp, these 3 issues are the only appearance anywhere of this superhero.

18. Complete set of eerie. There were 4 main shudder pulps (Weird, Horror, Terror, & Ghost). Other than that all the other shudder pulps only lasted for a few issues each. This is one of the harder to get shudder sets in any condition.

19. Complete set of Sinister Stories. I might as well copy and paste the description from number 18. These books used reprint material from horror/terror.

20. Complete Set of all 7 issues of Strange Tales. Most sought after of the short runs of Macabre pulps, mostly because of the Robert E Howard Stories inside. This run is about a Fine Minus Average.

160904.jpg.19d409549da04640156a045f012894f3.jpg

160905.jpg.2b6d76e62bb4c566605817480d1381e5.jpg

160906.jpg.ea2ba720bac4836672d9ad072ad90e9d.jpg

160907.jpg.61431dcd250d95c545118bb1a69558a5.jpg

160908.jpg.49fc81fc4615b01573cc3b30cc59af70.jpg

21. Here is a complete set of Golden Fleece in Very High Grade. The issues are generally only of the uncommon variety, but getting a complete set in this condition takes some work. I had to buy around 45 issues of these books before I got them to perfect/almost perfect condition. Three of the books have Robert E Howard pirate related stories again.

22. Complete Set of South Sea Stories in very high grade. Issue number 2 has a L Ron Hubbard Story. Other then that I can't personally see much that is special with these. But they are very sought after for whatever reason, and I put this set together with an eye towards condition, and a whole lot of frustration in the process.

23. Here are a couple of small press books for Fantasy Press. The alternate dustjacket to Beyond this horizon as well as First Lensman. The first is one of approximately 10 copies that were made however the bibliography on small press books guesses 100. The second book is one of between 3 and 5 copies that were made and saved from the dustbin in the 50's. This copy is one of only 2 publicly known to exist, the other having sold at Heritage a few years back.

24. Here's a copy of Shasta's Cloak of Aesir limited edition. The one on the left is the regular issue. In very high grade it's only worth a few hundred. The one on the right is supposed to be a one of a kind alternate version of the dustjacket. Notice the coloring, and the "a" in the title especially. Melvin Korshak made this copy especially for the famous artist Gerry De La Ree (I'm sure I'm spelling that wrong). There is an inscription inside saying as much. That artist was well known for his Arkham House covers. He was also a close friend of all the other Dinosaurs and fanboy of all things fiction. Both are also signed by the author John Campbell. There is no record of this variant in any of the bibliographies.

25. Another really rare item, although ugly. This is the only book Gnome press put out in paperback form (not including the 4 Armed Forces Editions made for the army at the time). In the early 60's the publisher Martin Greenberg was having trouble selling some of his massive overstock on the 80 or so Gnome Press books. As an experiment he made 6 copies of vortex blaster (using the first edition sheets) bound in grey paper in attempt to make a cheaper version. He would sell it at 1.00 instead of the 3.00 he charged for the hardcover versions. After costs, the difference in price on his end turned out to be almost nothing so he scrapped the idea. There were only 6 ever made back in the early 60's. Here are the only two publicly known to still exist. One is signed and inscribed by Marty Greenberg.

160909.jpg.5f426afef1d798acf5be4c2d15c4796e.jpg

160910.jpg.37be869b7c123d8c59f6bbd22d0988b1.jpg

160911.jpg.55946af88cf6420a695d9e7ebc0b9a3b.jpg

160912.jpg.bc84d2a1046464483ad3db329f77e623.jpg

160913.jpg.5016498794fd808580fcef79bbfc6369.jpg