• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,113 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Just got an upgrade on one of my favorite Spider pulps. This cover just creeps me out but I gotta have it. I don't sctually read a lot of my pulps but these Spiders are awsome.

pulpspider2.jpg

Wow.  That's horrifically magnificent.   In the pulp world, if one cover could be said to be the most brutal of them all, would it be this one?  it's got it all.  Dead, dying, imminent death.  The woman on the left, her expression, so sad, the gore on the end of the spike.  The guy trying to pull the spike out of his chest.  The women on the right, terrified, her strap on one side falling down. 

Wow.

I'm sure there are others but this one is way up on the list... This one is also very disturbing. I read the story. The guy with the poker rounds up people off the streets and disfigures them. Look at all the others in the back ground. They are then forced to out on the streets like freaks and beg for money. They then bring it back to him. He gets his in the end though... Pulps just go to a whole other level sometimes.

pulpstrangedetective.jpg

17 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I'm sure there are others but this one is way up on the list... This one is also very disturbing. I read the story. The guy with the poker rounds up people off the streets and disfigures them. Look at all the others in the back ground. They are then forced to out on the streets like freaks and beg for money. They then bring it back to him. He gets his in the end though... Pulps just go to a whole other level sometimes.

pulpstrangedetective.jpg

Outstanding!  These make comics seem like kids books in comparison!

I got these western pulps as a lot recently at an antique mall. They were stacked in the bottom of a showcase and priced around $50 for all of them. I was pleased to see so many Texas Rangers together like that.

45251960.9eca372f.1024.jpg

Edited by PopKulture

On 7/29/2017 at 1:08 PM, Dr. Love said:

Outstanding!  These make comics seem like kids books in comparison!

Well comics were kids books and marketed to kids and pretty much solely read by kids, while pulps were always an adult thing and meant for adults. I was reading stuff about the comics code and senate hearings on comics recently and always thought it was interesting that in all the testimony and everything, no one ever says comics are for adults or for adults too, not once ever does anyone use that as an argument at all. Bill Gaines never says it in his testimony, no one does. Everyone knew comics were for kids and marketed to them. It's just funny too considering how serious people take some old comics nowadays and how much money people will pay for what always was disposable trash for kids lol 

Got a couple pulps in the mail today.

First up:  The October, 1941, issue of Famous Fantastic Mysteries.  Yes, it's FFM; and therefore a reprint, but it's always nice to add a Lovecraft pulp to the collection.  It's also rather rare to see Lovecraft get the story title on the cover, rather than just his name.  Also, I saw the corner damage but the book was cheap, so I snagged it.  Other than that upper left corner, this might be the nicest condition pulp I've ever seen; the page quality is just unreal.

Also, who can resist a Finlay cover?  (He also has an interior illustration for the Lovecraft story.)

FFM_1941_10.jpg