I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
25 25

6,719 posts in this topic

4,172 posts

Very cool, indeed!  I like how he signed it right by his byline on the table of contents page.  I prefer that to the currently popular cover sigs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,172 posts
6 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I did not have the childhood comic book experiences like many of you.

My childhood interests were Schulz Peanuts and my idol as a kid was Tarzan. I am only 50 but in the early 70's every Saturday on our local stations they would play the Johnny Weismuller Tarzan features and I loved them. There was a 1966 Tarzan TV program they used to replay after school and I loved that too. The first book I ever owned myself was this copy of Tarzan of the Apes that my grandparents got me when I saw it at the local five and dime as a 4 year old. Not many comics have a deep emotional tie to me because they are not linked to my childhood experiences but this is and so I feel a greater sense of connection to it. 

Fast forward to what arrived today.:cloud9: Could not be more thrilled and I am grateful to @storypapers for letting me raid a corner of his closet. I may post this in the Cigar forum too even though not a golden age comic.

 

IMG_6274.JPG

 

 

 

Wow, congrats Rick!  That's the king of the jungle, and the king of the pulps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,082 posts
11 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I did not have the childhood comic book experiences like many of you.

My childhood interests were Schulz Peanuts and my idol as a kid was Tarzan. I am only 50 but in the early 70's every Saturday on our local stations they would play the Johnny Weismuller Tarzan features and I loved them. There was a 1966 Tarzan TV program they used to replay after school and I loved that too. The first book I ever owned myself was this copy of Tarzan of the Apes that my grandparents got me when I saw it at the local five and dime as a 4 year old. Not many comics have a deep emotional tie to me because they are not linked to my childhood experiences but this is and so I feel a greater sense of connection to it. 

Fast forward to what arrived today.:cloud9: Could not be more thrilled and I am grateful to @storypapers for letting me raid a corner of his closet. I may post this in the Cigar forum too even though not a golden age comic.

 

IMG_6274.JPG

IMG_6275.JPG

IMG_6276.JPG

 

Wow.  That is just an eye-wateringly beautiful copy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
374 posts
On 9/4/2019 at 3:28 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

I did not have the childhood comic book experiences like many of you.

My childhood interests were Schulz Peanuts and my idol as a kid was Tarzan. I am only 50 but in the early 70's every Saturday on our local stations they would play the Johnny Weismuller Tarzan features and I loved them. There was a 1966 Tarzan TV program they used to replay after school and I loved that too. The first book I ever owned myself was this copy of Tarzan of the Apes that my grandparents got me when I saw it at the local five and dime as a 4 year old. Not many comics have a deep emotional tie to me because they are not linked to my childhood experiences but this is and so I feel a greater sense of connection to it. 

Fast forward to what arrived today.:cloud9: Could not be more thrilled and I am grateful to @storypapers for letting me raid a corner of his closet. I may post this in the Cigar forum too even though not a golden age comic.

 

IMG_6274.JPG

IMG_6275.JPG

IMG_6276.JPG

IMG_6281.JPG

Mind Boggled! That copy belongs in the Library of Valhalla.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,167 posts

Here is the BAT-MAN controversy issue...."The Bat" ...came out same month as BATMAN.  Important historical issue!  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,553 posts
13 hours ago, storypapers said:

2090438552_BATSTRIKESBYC.K.MSCANLON1934.thumb.jpg.09e51d407c2623db99506c5d4c9417ed.jpg

 

13 hours ago, storypapers said:

Here is the BAT-MAN controversy issue...."The Bat" ...came out same month as BATMAN.  Important historical issue!  

 

You forgot to post it’s cool cover from nov. 1934...:cloud9:

7187DE91-CCBE-4B72-9B9D-9B2F1FA85196.jpeg.9fdd0b8b1d98198eea707bb4699e1199.jpeg

 

 

Edited by N e r V

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
374 posts
16 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Another lot of Argosy All-Stories from my LCS today.  The first two have parts of the "Tarzan the Terrible" serialization, and the third has the seventh (and final) part of "Chessmen of Mars".  That actually gives me parts 3-7 of the story; not complete but enough that I can actually read the summary with part three and enjoy the story well enough.

Argosy_1921_03_05.jpg

Argosy_1921_03_19.jpg

Argosy_1922_04_01.jpg

I will never see pulps in any of my LCS :cry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,172 posts

Nice one!  Great Brundage cover, a James Allison story by Howard (I think I've read it), and a Nictzin Dyalhis cover story (that I've been meaning to read)!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,082 posts
4 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

I will never see pulps in any of my LCS :cry:

If it makes you feel better, the short box of Argosy I've been working my way through is more pulps than I've seen in any of my LCS in the last 20 years put together.  This is very much the exception.

There's one bookstore in the area that aggressively looks for and stocks pulps when they can find them; even there they only get in new batches a few times a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,553 posts
6 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

I will never see pulps in any of my LCS :cry:

 

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

If it makes you feel better, the short box of Argosy I've been working my way through is more pulps than I've seen in any of my LCS in the last 20 years put together.  This is very much the exception.

There's one bookstore in the area that aggressively looks for and stocks pulps when they can find them; even there they only get in new batches a few times a year.

I know of only a couple here in the San Diego area that have some.

We had an area of town here at one time that was known for its bookstores. Many, many grouped together. All kinds of books available including comics and the pulps. As people go less to bookstores these have all but died out here. I want to say it was at its peak thru the 1990’s with one of the last closing it’s doors recently after over 50 years. 

It was a place where you could pick up low or high grade stuff. A great number of my super high grade books by Ace or Phillip K. or whoever were purchased from these stores over time. So how great could it be? Well I know of 2 copies of the All Story first Tarzan pulp that Rick just posted coming out of those stores. Another friend bought a near complete run of Weird Tales there including all the early issues. Thanks in part to some talks with Robert Weinberg I started actively going after the Conan and Brundage covers. Around 1996 or 1997 when The Whole Wide World was released there were some fantastic high grade Weird Tales in one of the stores for at that time next to nothing

 

Pulps have not attained the comic book pricing run up since then but when you see stuff in the $500.-$1000+. range today I remember passing on some of that high grade stuff at $50. a book thinking it was to much when offered at a used book store.

Sorry for the long post but the posters above reminded me how much easier it was at one time to buy pulps locally...O.o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,553 posts

That was Phillip K. D ick above. Censorship..:censored:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
25 25