• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A True Villain

25 posts in this topic

I've sat down 4 times in a month to write this and haven't been able to finish. I would just type and type and eventually close the browser. I'm a little post shy, I guess (93 in four and a half years), which is strange since it's hard to shut me up most times and comics are my biggest pastime. Honestly, I really just have trouble talking about f'd up things that happen to me. I prefer to chin up and keep going but sometimes I need to vent. That's where you guys come in

The week before Christmas someone decided to light my uncles shed on fire. He was picking me up from a quick trip out of town and had the neighbors not alerted the fire department so quickly, my uncle would have lost more than his shed. The shed stood 20 feet from the house and burned hot enough to melt the siding on the rear wall of my uncle’s bedroom. I'm so thankful that my family didn't lose their home and that most of what they lost is easily replaceable. What's bugging me is what was mine.

When I left for the military my uncle stored my possessions for me until I settled down and could arrange for their transport. This Christmas I had planned on finally sending everything (from VA) to my new townhouse (in WA State). I hadn't seen anything in the two years since I was gone as it was stored in the attic. The attic ended up needing repairs and I was unable to get up there last time I was home. When the repairs were made in-between Christmas leave periods, my things were moved to my uncles shed. It was a nice dry wooden shed which I had no issues with and still tell my uncle it’s not his fault for putting everything there.

Trying to make a long post short, everything I owned (before I left) is gone. That includes my collection. That is something that my uncle and most of my friends don't quite understand. I'm devastated that I have no pictures of my family anymore (my uncle’s box was out there too...sorting them was the first order of business after lunch that day)...but, I spent over half my life on that collection. As far as I'm concerned, it's about neck and neck. I can't replace my pictures but there are also a lot of books I consider irreplaceable. I'll never have the ASM 41 and 122 a dealer managed to get into my hands when I was 14...those books started my dream of somehow putting together a run of comics (expensive!) that had started over 30 years earlier. I feel like I lost 1200 of my best friends and it's bothering the hell out of me.

I really felt the need to post this here because this is where I get most of my "comic talk". It may be a one sided "conversation" most of the time but I've been here at least once a week (many times a day in the past year) over the last few years. None of my friends are really interested in comics...the ones that are would gladly trade a beat up silver age book for a few moderns. I know you guys understand and I really appreciate you letting me get this out. I don't really know what else to say right now. I'm sure I'll ask some advice later but I should probably get back to work. Thanks guys.

Letting go is hard until you realize there are new memories to be made in the void that now exists. This can be applied to many aspects in life.

R.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. It's one thing to sell off a collection and later miss having it (I did that a long time ago), but to have a collection removed in the way yours was has got to be a little harder to swallow. I suppose that as with most things it'll sting a little less with time, but it may be a while getting there.

Thanks for taking time to share your story with and I'm glad that your Uncles house wasn't lost as well!

Terrible news and I mourn your loss :sorry: PM me yor address + I'll get you some books (thumbs u

That's a sad tale of woe, but a great idea by Korvac Saga...tell us what you collected (you've mentioned ASM SA/BA)...I'd like to send you at least one book and maybe more if I have something that you'd truly be interested in... (thumbs u

:cry:

Welcome to the Boards

Oh wait...

You've been here longer than me.

Welcome to posting regular on the Boards

(thumbs u

Really Brutal.

- I hope they catch the punk/thrill seeker who started the fire

- Home owners insurance?

- The 2nd poster is correct, you can now make 1,200 new friends.

Most standard home owners insurance will cover up to $10,000 in art and collectibles, etc.

But maybe not in a shed... :eek:

Get out the policy and read it. (thumbs u

hello herodreamer:

i have a few books you can have if you want. i have a small collection, but i still have a few books that you might be interested in. almost all are low grade readers, but if you honestly want them, pm me an address.

the books include:

ec's psychoanalysis #3 (G)

tales to astonish #83 (FINE/FINE+)

ASM 55 (G)

ASM 67 (VG/VG+)

ASM 70 (VG)

ASM 88 (VG)

DD 21 (G)

green lantern 46 (G)

Very sorry to hear this . . . material possessions can be replaced, but a collection is much more. Years of hard work and loving care put into amassing a collection, it must really hurt to have it destroyed like this!

I hope you won't mind accepting a few books from a few of us, as a gesture of good will and the start of your road to a new collection. Give us a little better idea what was lost, as I'm sure I could dig up a couple books myself.

I'm glad you posted your story and, as you can see, you've got a group here that's willing to reach out and help. It may not fix anything but it is an indicator of the kind of people you can reach whenever you're here. :angel:

I also hope the dirtbag who did this gets caught and gets karmic retribution as well. :devil:

I definitely appreciate the responses guys...I know it's a good group here and, even though it took a month, it made it easier sharing the story with you guys. I just really needed to share it with people who know that comics can be a lot more than "funny books". I defintely have no intentions of quiting and look forward to making another 1200 friends (and more!). I have to admit, i'm very overwhelmed by the offers guys. I feel very humbled as I am very bashful about being on the receiving end of nice gestures like these. My uncle still doesn't know if his insurance is gong to cover my belongnigs though and the idea that my collection could start again with the help of people who love these books like I do is amazing. Honestly, it's the way that Silverage put it that I think kicks my pride to the side and I truly appreciate it.

As far as my collecting...it was mostly Spiderman. I was around 120 issues shy of my ASM run. The bulk of those missing was between 166 and 237. I had every book from 238 up and about 75 books between 29 and 166. My pride was my shortbox of silver and bronze. Had all my Spidey's up to 153 and 5-6 issues apiece of silver Avengers, DD, FF and Tales Of Suspense. They were all lowgrade...just the way I liked them (and could afford them!) :grin:. My Iron Man 1 probably didn't even make VG+ but it was a solid book and cheap! Honestly, my collection made me feel like a harbinger of beaters and readers...felt like I gave them a place :cloud9:. The rest of my collection looked something like this:

Spectacular Spiderman (90-up)

Web (complete)

McFarlane and Sensational Vol. 1 (complete)

Marvel Team-Up (later half)

Ultimate Spider-Man (8-up)

Fantastic Four Vol 2 Vol 3 (complete)

Iron Man Vol 2 Vol 3 (complete)

Everything else was just assorted random X titles and Image...miniseries and drek!

So yeah, that's it. I really appreciate the support guys...I feel like I should have been more active on the boards over the years but you guys make me feel like I have been. That's a pretty wonderful thing...Thank you so much!

- Joe