• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age X-Men 9.6s on ebay!!!!!!!

98 posts in this topic

So you are saying that I used Drew as a shill? Thats ridiculous :screwy:

That's what it appears like...regardless the circumstances, you two screwed some bidders that placed good faith bids. Whether that was the intent or not, that's what's occurred...

Jim

How did we screw the underbidders? Drew was the only one to meet the reserve :gossip:

How did the underbidders get screwed when Drew was the only one to hit the reserve?

Okay, I'm not putting credence in the theories, but I'll try to explain what some are saying may have happened:

Since MK listed the book without reserve, and it was won by Drew, then the transaction was subsequently called off... it is conceivable that Drew's bid may have been an "unofficial reserve price" and never intended to win, but to protect the original investment.

If Drew won, the transaction wouldn't go through, but if someone outbid him and his unofficial reserve, then MK would make his money back.

If true, then MK and Drew definitely screwed the underbidders, but again, I'm just outlining the theory and who knows what really happened. (shrug)

We must have been watching different auctions then...Mk's had a reserve and it wasn't hit until Drew bid. Therefore, none of the underbidder's got screwed because they didn't hit the reserve anyway.
(thumbs u

Only reason I did not is, I asked him who the high bidder was and when I found out it was a forumite I backed off.

So, when every comics collectors on earth will be registered on the CGC board we won't be able to purchase anything :baiting:lol

That's what it appears like...regardless the circumstances, you two screwed some bidders that placed good faith bids. Whether that was the intent or not, that's what's occurred...

Jim

How did we screw the underbidders? Drew was the only one to meet the reserve :gossip:

I guess no one argued this point because there is no good argument. It seems to me the whole thing got blown out of proportion. Neither MK or Drew have been suspected of shilling before so why should they now for one off incident?

Jim

I guess no one argued this point because there is no good argument. It seems to me the whole thing got blown out of proportion. Neither MK or Drew have been suspected of shilling before so why should they now for one off incident?

:golfclap:

Jim

I think that it is rediculous to think Danny did anything wrong here. (shrug)

Because some here would just love to bust MK's balls and feel that this situation affords an opportunity to do so. :sumo:

Jim

I think no one argued it b/c it's not apparent that there was a reserve on the book. In fact, unless you watch an auction from the beginning, how do you know that it had one?

As for MK, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt on this one. But, it doesn't look good here amongst the boardmembers. And you can bet your sweet bippy I'd be screaming bloody murder when I see it relisted on Ebay a day later (and it does show that in your completed auctions).

So is the book now sold or listed somewhere else?

How did the underbidders get screwed when Drew was the only one to hit the reserve?

Okay, I'm not putting credence in the theories, but I'll try to explain what some are saying may have happened:

Since MK listed the book without reserve, and it was won by Drew, then the transaction was subsequently called off... it is conceivable that Drew's bid may have been an "unofficial reserve price" and never intended to win, but to protect the original investment.

If Drew won, the transaction wouldn't go through, but if someone outbid him and his unofficial reserve, then MK would make his money back.

If true, then MK and Drew definitely screwed the underbidders, but again, I'm just outlining the theory and who knows what really happened. (shrug)

We must have been watching different auctions then...Mk's had a reserve and it wasn't hit until Drew bid. Therefore, none of the underbidder's got screwed because they didn't hit the reserve anyway. (shrug)

Once again, I am simply trying to outline the scenario, nothing more and nothing less.

Just got back from a great vacation in Jamaica :cloud9: and see the boards haven't changed much lol

Just for the record I am not a shill bidder for Danny's auctions. Danny never asked me to place a bid and I did so of my own accord. I know what Danny paid for the book and would of gladly paid the ending auction price - I believe I could have easily held onto the book and sold it down the road for a profit. I had no need to do that. I already own a #31 CGC 9.6 (a nicer wrap I might add :devil:) for my X-Men collection and thought that it would be the right thing to do for Danny to keep the book and sell it to another person. There was a reserve on the book - I was the only bidder to meet the reserve - I don't believe the underbidders were "screwed over" as others have suggested. I thought it was a good solution for all - I have met Danny and know him to be a good and decent guy.

Sorry for all the confusion...carry on.

Drew

Awe4one, you asked earlier if somebody had personally met both Danny and Drew. Well I have, and consider them amongst my closest friends in the hobby. I will state that I would bet anything that NO premeditated funny business went on here and both should come out of it 100% with reputations intact. There's enough witchhunting going on around here and deservedly so but these two are NOT those kinds of people.

Jim

Wow I just saw this too.

I've known Drew for 4 years now (longer than any other forumite) and we have met on numerous occasions. He may be a bit stubborn (going by our road trip conversation last year) and picky (asks Metro to bring a bunch of books to Chicago and buys 1) but the guy is not dishonest. I will vouch for him 100%. Drew is a good hearted guy who saved Danny some grief by letting him off the hook when he didn't have to. He's a firefighter by trade. That should say something.

MK? I've only met him once but his record is spotless in my books over the past few years I have known him. Even if he does post too much.

End of story, end of speculation. Period.

R.

Awe4one, you asked earlier if somebody had personally met both Danny and Drew. Well I have, and consider them amongst my closest friends in the hobby. I will state that I would bet anything that NO premeditated funny business went on here and both should come out of it 100% with reputations intact. There's enough witchhunting going on around here and deservedly so but these two are NOT those kinds of people.

Jim

Thanks Jim :acclaim:

Now about that Chicago trip... hm

picky (asks Metro to bring a bunch of books to Chicago and buys 1) but the guy is not dishonest.

R.

:gossip: Pricing was just a wee bit agressive lol

I was just having fun at your expense.

;)