• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WOW!!!

27 posts in this topic

Maybe he found them or worked for Marvel then.

No...and No...

Lou hand picked and bought every last one of those babies....he is a cover buying machine.

C

Lou's collection is damn impressive, no doubt about it. Not just that he has all those great pieces, but that he has the wall space to display them!

Here is an interview from the CAF Weekly Update:

Please tell us a little about yourself.

I’m just a simple guy from New Jersey … a great place to live despite what you’ve heard. I’m an astonishing 55 years old when last I checked. I’ve been married more times than Eva Gabor or perhaps it just feels that way. I’ve been, happily, single for the past 8 years. This tends to be a desirable circumstance if one is a collector of comic art. My current choice to be single also permits me the unlimited freedom to display my art throughout my home, without criticism. I’ve managed to, tastefully, hang 300 pieces of cover art, but am now lacking much-needed wall space. Professionally, I am a licensed Orthotist & Prosthetist. It is not uncommon for folks to wonder or snicker over my Title. You’ll have to look it up. I’m also an inventor, lecturer and I write occasionally. I have 2 practices in NJ and a medical device manufacturing company that produces products I’ve developed. My greatest creations are my 2 adult sons. They are almost fully independent life forms now. Curiously, they never embraced my love of comics and comic art … though they are impressed by it.

What is your favorite piece in your Gallery and why?

It would appear that previous responders to this questionnaire have already voiced the challenge in selecting a single favorite piece of art from their collections. I, frankly, cannot select a single favorite piece. I have many favorites, created by different artists, in various media. Though, I do have favorite pieces by favored artists. I could say that my (almost) complete collection of Gary Frank’s Supreme Power series is certainly at the top of the list. J.G. Jones’ run on Wonder Woman is fabulous. Ian Churchill’s art is stunning and my Supergirl #1 cover makes me stutter. Salvador Larocca’s pencils for Ultimate Electra are so good that they baffle me as to how he did them. I own 3 interior pages of Silver Surfer Remix by Sal Velluto … some of the most gorgeous artwork I’ve ever seen. Greg Land’s X-Men cover depicting Wolverine and Ed Benes’ Superman & Superboy cover are spectacular. There are more, of course, but I’ve already “cheated” in my response to your question.

How long have you been collecting comic art and what prompted you to start?

I definitely entered into this exclusive hobby too late. I believe that it began for me towards the end of 2004. I discovered the Ebay universe at the urging of friends and quickly selected “Collectibles” and “Comics.” I, then, found “Comic Art!” As absurd as it sounds, I never considered how comics were actually produced; that there was original artwork generated for their creation. When I explored the artwork section, I found pieces that were used for some of the more memorable comics that I had read. I was hooked. I’ve spent a small fortune already and now try to restrain myself, but we all know how futile that can sometimes be.

How do you display/store your collection at home?

Most of my artwork is archival framed and hung throughout my home and offices.

I keep some artwork in protective portfolios until such time that I can get them framed. I have another 30 or so pieces of cover art framed but not hung due to a lack of wall space. Need a bigger house.

What are your top five most wanted original pages or commissions?

I’d like to obtain the 3 missing pieces of cover art for Supreme Power. Additionally, I like to grab Ultimate Electra 4 and 5 and Michael Turner’s Supergirl cover interpretation from issue 3 (I believe) and some Paradise X covers. I’d, also, love to get published cover art or commissions from Ed Benes and David Finch. My list could extend beyond 100, so I’d better stop here.

You know, as soon as I saw the OA in the bedroom I knew he had to be single. My wife is cool, and she let me have my own room where I can hang my stuff. But I would be more likely to be found hanging on the wall before my bedroom saw any comic-related art hanging there. lol

His collection is simply amazing though. It'd be something else to do a walk through of his home to see it all in person.

Lou's collection and display is amazing. But it is something FAR out of my realm. Perhaps that's why I think THIS DISPLAY METHOD is so impressive. Doing a write up/print out for every page is true dedication.

And on comic art in the bedroom: Well, I suppose what the art is. Sure, two men in tights might not work (unless you like that kind of thing, and that's o.k.) or a zombie infested zombie. But some comic art taken simply for it's art aspect might work. Something like THIS :devil:

My wife is cool, and she let me have my own room where I can hang my stuff.

Same here. Anywhere else in the house is off limits!

Well, I guess I am lucky....my horror krap is all over the place (bedroom and dining room included!) :cloud9:

Well, I guess I am lucky....my horror krap is all over the place (bedroom and dining room included!) :cloud9:

By the way, this is the kind of stuff that litters our home! :headbang:

th_DSC00013.jpgth_DSC00012.jpgth_DSC00010.jpgth_DSC00009.jpgth_DSC00004.jpgth_DSC00002.jpg

By the way, this is the kind of stuff that litters our home! :headbang:

th_DSC00013.jpgth_DSC00012.jpgth_DSC00010.jpgth_DSC00009.jpgth_DSC00004.jpgth_DSC00002.jpg

Very cool (thumbs u