• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: I'm having a bad day, and more books from ATOMICAVENUE just added to my pain

48 posts in this topic

So I have to vent, albeit briefly.

And the point of this post is that I have to ask (or appeal) to the other people on this board who take their collecting (and their money) as serious as I do.

A few years ago I was turned onto Atomicavenue.com by another board member.

I made a few purchases, not bad....and this week I decided to try again.

I wanted to "try something different."

And by different, I mean, something other then ebay, something other then the cgc forum board.

Why not.

And in short...I spent close to or over $200 from about 5 to 7 different vendors who use atomicavenue.com as a means to sell their comics.

I purchased books only advertised as NM

And EVERY one of those packages that arrived had books in them that were FAR, far less then NM. It makes me wonder, or cry out...does anyone know how to grade at ALL anymore? Are people just used to calling everything in their collection NM just ....just because???

In fact, I would be hard pressed to say that a single comic that I received could qualify as VF let alone NM. And while I spent an average of $5 per book (some were $2.50, some were $7...a couple were $15)...the average we'll call $5.

And they all add up.

Add up to about $200 before ship costs.

And I looked at many of these sellers "feedback" before purchasing before I made my decision.

One seller even slipped a note in the box saying "You stole these books! Overstreet guides these as being $30!" (yeah...IF your merchandise was what you say it was...maybe).

Books with creased.

Crunches. MULTIPLE spine stress.

One book arrived today with the bottom right corner visibly folded over in the bag, exposing the interior pages.

One book had so much wear, the spine was starting to brown.

I mean, I was SO disinchanted. So irritated.

And I thought...man, you know what...I could start a trail and attempt to get my money back and I would have to pursue 5 to 7 different vendors that use Atomicavenue. And I thought...why should I do that. I mean, WHAT A HEADACHE that I don't need.

I deal with customers and vendors every day in my day to day (DAY) job.

I am the purchasing agent for a big print company in DC/MD area. As such, I also have to send work outside the shop for finishing binding services that perhaps we can't do. My job is to shop around and look for the best price and service I can get. I do it in my day job and my personal job.

And in talking to one client today, he mentioned that they had to fire a csr this week because (or not so much BECAUSE) that person had several clients who'd complained about her lack of skill at her job...but more so because of the following....

That vendor realized that for every person that took the time to complain about that csr, there are at least 7 more who don't complain...they opt to just take their business somewhere else. And I figured...man...that's where I am at on this.

Because if SEVEN OUT OF SEVEN VENDORS who use atomicavenue.com as a means to sell their comics have NO IDEA about the first thing on how to grade comics...then how in the HELL are the other 500 people who sell (or 100 or whatever it is) grading their books????

I wouldn't be venting so hard if not for that simple fact...that ALL of these people sent me ...and I do mean trash. For real.

My wife couldn't believe it when I got so upset tonight after opening today's latest arrival...I literally flung the books across the room and just shouted about the trash I spent my money on.

One guy even went as far as to "upgrade" a book that he'd sent me from NM to MINT. Um....no...sorry mpalish, but you really have NO idea how to grade books.

If I was to scan every one of the comics I have received to date for you guys and post them, you'd be laughing at how horrible these Fine+ to VF- (maybe) books are, yet being sold as NM.

Buyer beware, I know...I know.

Flushing CASH down the toilet would have been more entertaining and fullfilling...because at least that's something you don't see every day.

EBAY is a better option (and guys...you know that's saying something)...then to take a risk one more time with atomic.

I did go as far as to write an email to atomic. And ultimately what I said was that while I know Atomic has no control over what their vendors sell their customers, ultimately it is a bad reflection on atomicavenue as a whole and I cannot in good faith tell any of my collector friends to shop there.

SEVEN out of SEVEN, gentleman. Not a ONE of these guys can grade a book.

And I concluded my email by saying that I cannot believe that I am the only customer to have complained about this.

I can't be.

Again...you should see today's NM books that arrived from collectors-pair-of-dice.

Sweet mother of Christmas, can you tell I'm pissed???

So I want to conclude by asking...is there anyone else on these boards who has had the same horrible experience that I have had with atomicavenue sellers?

Too much time away from the vault. :(

I still <3 you, Rich. :foryou:

lol!

Now THAT...doc watson...that made me laugh out loud for real.

My thanks for feeling my pain.

(your wife preggers too ?) ;)

Not with Atomic, but I understand your feelings completely. Why is it so difficult to simply conduct business? Why must deceit be a constituent part of a transaction? Sometimes the pettiness seems like a wave and you want everyone to just grow up.

End of rant.

"NM" books with multiple flaws... rust spots... flinging across room in anger... ranting to wife about flushing money down toilet...

I'm having flashbacks to the one and only time I bought books from Lighthouse.

doh!

I feel your pain.

:foryou:

I just checked out that site for the first time ever due to your post.

WTF??? No actual scans of the books for sale? Just stock pics? Doesn't look like a place I'd want to do business... :sumo:

I think this weekend I'll have a BBQ...comic book style.

And I'll tape it and post it for you all to see...I'm THAT pis sed off, and at least somewhere along the way, someone will get some amusement at just how insane this whole experience has made me.

To that end, I'm glad I am not alone.

I think the reason I am SO completely out of my mind enraged about this is because that's $200 I could have used to take my family out to dinner, write a check for a new sub to CGC, paid a bill AND maybe even dropped what's left over here on the boards for some REAL comics.

You know how I feel...? For real?

Like Clark Griswald in that INFAMOUS scene in Christmas Vacation.

"HOLY SHI T! PASS THE TYLENOL!"

Almost forgot...there's also those sellers who just SLIP their books into a manila envelope with no protection....and feel that this is a perfectly acceptable means to mail your comics to the customer.

You KNOW who you are.

Someone call Eric the midget and have him get in touch with Johnny Frato.

He's knows what to do.

Atomic Avenue doesn't have NM-, VF/NM or VF+ designations... so a NM can really be anywhere from a 9.0 to a 9.8

(A MT would be considered 9.9 or 10.0.)

A VF would range anywhere from 7.0 to 9.0 I guess.

It has a special designation of VF-NM which is there as a general category for people who don't want to come right out (or aren't sure) about calling a comic NM.

Atomic Avenue is basically really good for those arbitrage opportunities where the price guide it uses (The Standard Price Guide or rather CBG's price guide) differs from Overstreet or from real world pricing.

For instance: Harbinger #0 Pink which is listed on that site as $6.00 in NM

Please excuse the stupid, obvious question, but can you not return them?

He could. MPalish, as one example, has a 100% return policy.

MPalish's profile:

Free shipping over $40.00

Top 10 Reasons You Want to Buy From MPalish. 1) 100 % Satisfaction Guaranteed. 2) No Risk To You. I will pay for the return shipping if you are unhappy with any comic that I sell you! 3) Accurate grading. If I notice a flaw in a book prior to shipping, I will email you ASAP. 4) Complementary scans emailed for all books valued over $50 upon your request. 5) All comics are bagged and boarded. 6) All orders are shipped in special boxes designed to ship comic books so they do not get damaged, and comics are sandwiched between 2 pieces of cardboard. 7) Free standard shipping on orders greater than $40. 8) I have a large variety of comics to sell you. I have been collecting comics since 1968 and have accumulated over 120,000 comics which I am slowly listing on Atomic Avenue. Approx 1,000 per week added. Please email me any hard to find comics you are looking for. 9) I will ship your order as fast as I can. Most orders shipped the next business day. 10) My wife is going to divorce me for storing all these comics in our home, lol.

Link the video to the sellers! :devil:

That is a GOOD idea.

I'm going to tell you guys though who DOES know how to grade.

There's a seller on ebay I buy from consistantly.

It's kingskomixkastle on ebay.

Will and Dorothy.

They pkg. VERY well and all of the books he sells me are NM/NM+, without exception. If zillaf4 is too steep, try this guy.

For real. Tell him Rich Henn sent you...I've bought from him on and off ebay over the last 3 months, and have probably spent close to $500 and I didn't regret a single purchase. You get what you pay for.

Silly me to think that someone would actually sell a NM copper book for $2.50 or $5 and expect to get what I was buying.

Wow.

Migrane coming back. I have to stop this right now.

Please excuse the stupid, obvious question, but can you not return them?

You're right...I could begin the process of this...and after I calm down I might...but for me at this moment its a sheer matter of principal that EVERY last one of these seven sellers sent me stuff you couldn't get in a quarter bin.

I feel better, I guess, to tell you guys what my experience was so that none of you have to ever experience what I've been dealing with...ALL WEEK.

It's easier to just take my business somewhere else then at this point, have to contact seven guys and tell all seven guys "Sorry that I'm being PICKY here...I honestly thought that NM meant NEAR MINT....apparently we're not looking at the same guide book here."

Apparently in some corners of the world, NM= FINE+

(or in otherwords.."WHAT DID YOU THINK YOU WERE GOING TO GET FOR $3, YOU DUMMY???!!?!)

Rich, I'm really sorry to hear about this. I've had a few unfortunate bills crop up that just seem like a real waste of money and I think about what else I could have spent the money on. At least mine were accidental issues though--these people knew they were taking advantage of their customers.

If it's any consolation, rest assured you have kept me from frequenting that place. I've had my fair share of bad experiences on ebay (hello hidden coupon cut!) early on, so knowing this ahead of time probably spared me (and others) the same headache.

I'm glad I sent a slabbed book along with the junk. :baiting:

In all seriousness, I feel I could sometimes be missing nice books on eBay because of the fact that i'm afraid to bid too high and it's because of being burned, too many times.

Throwing mess rules. All you have to do is ask my roommates from college about the top of my dresser and the area surrounding it. That thing was covered with broken ceramic dishes and rocks glasses by the end of the year. My comic book clock was also a victim to my throwing rage.