• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
12 12

40,446 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, the blob said:

I figure there is definitely a group of people buying the TPBs who have no interest in other comics, just wondering whether their comic buying counterparts would care about a billion different covers or is that a "comic collector" thing. Seems like some might jump out..Like the #100 Michonne slicing the zombie head off would have a lot of appeal beyond just comic collectors, but some of the other covers, not so much.

Yeah, I cannot fathom a non-collector having much interest in the 15th Anniversary issues.   At my LCS, the people coming in were only buying 2-3 blind bags, with issue 1 selling out quickly.  (I bought 2 each of all 15).   Even before I decided to collect, I bought TWD #1, TWD #19 and TWD #100 in 9.8 because I thought it would be cool to have some keys to this classic series.  They sat in my safe for a couple of months before I decided to kick off my comic buying spree.   But there could be others out there like me, who just want a high grade TWD #1 since they are fans of the show.

Edited by BladeTX

1 hour ago, BladeTX said:

Yeah, I cannot fathom a non-collector having much interest in the 15th Anniversary issues.   At my LCS, the people coming in were only buying 2-3 blind bags, with issue 1 selling out quickly.  (I bought 2 each of all 15).   Even before I decided to collect, I bought TWD #1, TWD #19 and TWD #100 in 9.8 because I thought it would be cool to have some keys to this classic series.  They sat I my safe for a couple of months before I decided to kick off my comic buying spree.   But there could be others out there like me, who just want a high grade TWD #1 since they are fans of the show.

TWD 1 and 19 in 9.8 just for giggles is a pretty big outlay!

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

TWD 1 and 19 in 9.8 just for giggles is a pretty big outlay!

Yeah, hit me at just the right time when my property taxes came in lower than expected so I justified those as an "investment" instead of stocks; I have some rare coins too.  Though convincing my wife was not exactly easy :-).    I guess my main point is assuming I did not head into collecting all the comics, I would have had #1 and #19 as a TV show fan sitting in my safe for 10+ years.  And I loved having them.   The risk here is if the show tanks, people like me would not be doing this.   But all indications are the show is improving, hopefully bringing people back and drawing in some new viewers to keep up strength in the TWD universe.

17 hours ago, Sensei Ryan said:

Did anyone else besides myself and BladeTX read the newest issue?  It was kind of a big one...and caused something to come full circle.  That's about as cryptic as I can be without making it too revealing.  It was a great issue, I thought!  Thoughts anyone???

Really was a great issue. Didnt see it coming, at least not in the way that it did.  

1 hour ago, BladeTX said:

Yeah, hit me at just the right time when my property taxes came in lower than expected so I justified those as an "investment" instead of stocks; I have some rare coins too.  Though convincing my wife was not exactly easy :-).    I guess my main point is assuming I did not head into collecting all the comics, I would have had #1 and #19 as a TV show fan sitting in my safe for 10+ years.  And I loved having them.   The risk here is if the show tanks, people like me would not be doing this.   But all indications are the show is improving, hopefully bringing people back and drawing in some new viewers to keep up strength in the TWD universe.

Those two issues are probably no worse off than the stock market lately. People here keep on saying #1 is going down, but it still seems to be around $2000+. I guess I must have stopped paying attention when it got into the mid-$2000s, because when it hit $1800 I was pretty much "that's crazy/why didn't I order 1000 of these when it came out"?

3 hours ago, the blob said:

mThose two issues are probably no worse off than the stock market lately. People here keep on saying #1 is going down, but it still seems to be around $2000+. I guess I must have stopped paying attention when it got into the mid-$2000s, because when it hit $1800 I was pretty much "that's crazy/why didn't I order 1000 of these when it came out"?

I've been watching #1 pretty closely to upgrade mine to Signature Series.   About 6-9 months ago, they were consistently selling for $2,200-$2,450 depending on auction.   In the past month I have seen $2,200 BINs sit and go nowhere.  Then in the ComicLink auction about a week ago, a 9.8 #1 sold for $1,875.   The first time I saw it go south of $2,000.   I am having a hard time buying some books because people want what they paid for them 3 years ago which is often 50% more than they are selling for now.   So is it a buying opportunity or the beginning of a long slide?   No idea.

Edited by BladeTX

The 15th Anniversary Buildout is complete.    It appears CGC has left all of the foreign store variants out of the Complete with Variants registry, which makes sense.    I counted 200 adds, but did not see TWD Day Free Comic in there.   Dang, CGC is going to make big $$$ from anyone working to complete that set.

2 hours ago, BladeTX said:

I've been watching #1 pretty closely to upgrade mine to Signature Series.   About 6-9 months ago, they were consistently selling for $2,200-$2,450 depending on auction.   In the past month I have seen $2,200 BINs sit and go nowhere.  Then in the ComicLink auction about a week ago, a 9.8 #1 sold for $1,875.   The first time I saw it go south of $2,000.   I am having a hard time buying some books because people want what they paid for them 3 years ago which is often 50% more than they are selling for now.   So is it a buying opportunity or the beginning of a long slide?   No idea.

Just looking at completed ebay sales and the bulk are over $2k. The comiclink one could have been an anomaly.

On 12/7/2018 at 2:29 PM, the blob said:

In some sense it is ridiculous, but I suppose they are giving fans A LOT of options. I wonder how many people read/collect the comics as fans of the show, but don't buy any other titles? 

I only really collect TWD. I do have a few Amazing Spider-man books and others, but I picked those up along the way rather than actually collected them. I do like books from October 1965, my birth month/year.

13 hours ago, BladeTX said:

The 15th Anniversary Buildout is complete.    It appears CGC has left all of the foreign store variants out of the Complete with Variants registry, which makes sense.    I counted 200 adds, but did not see TWD Day Free Comic in there.   Dang, CGC is going to make big $$$ from anyone working to complete that set.

As the "add" thread is closed, I wrote to Mollie today asking for the Walking Dead Day Special #nn to be added.

Also missing is 98E, 100E and 108E.

Something seems to have gone wrong with the width of the photo-eye/text column. Comics are now taking two lines instead of one (look and you'll see what I mean). I asked Mollie to look at that for us.

Finally, I asked her to move the Finch variants (Blind Bag #1) so that they appear below the Zombie Planet Edition / above the Blind Bag #2s. Logical to keep them all together methinks.

Happy weekend everyone!

Cheers, Stephen

Edited by StephenWA
correction

#186 really was a great issue. Really felt like old Walking Dead again. Unpredictable. Reactionary. That's the thing about the series - even if there have been lulls in he story where nothing seems to be happening it's really just on the upswing of the rollercoaster ride just waiting for a drop again. TWD remains one the the consistently best series out there. 2c

On 12/8/2018 at 2:45 PM, StephenWA said:

As the "add" thread is closed, I wrote to Mollie today asking for the Walking Dead Day Special #nn to be added.

Also missing is 98E, 100E and 108E.

Something seems to have gone wrong with the width of the photo-eye/text column. Comics are now taking two lines instead of one (look and you'll see what I mean). I asked Mollie to look at that for us.

Finally, I asked her to move the Finch variants (Blind Bag #1) so that they appear below the Zombie Planet Edition / above the Blind Bag #2s. Logical to keep them all together methinks.

Happy weekend everyone!

Cheers, Stephen

I have reviewed the "Store" Edition list (of the 15th Anniversary editions) on our Registry today. There are several revisions to be made (in my opinion / advice), and I have written to Mollie as follows:

Please add these 20 comics (all 15th Anniversary Edition 1s):

1st Edition Edition (yes, two x ‘Edition’ – ‘1st Edition’ is its name)

Another Dimension Comics Edition

Collector Zone Edition

Comic Traders Edition

Comiczone Edition

Enjoy Comics Edition

Fantasy Realm Edition

Giant Robot Edition

Little Shop of Heroes Edition

Limited Edition Edition (yes, two x ‘Edition’ – ‘Limited Edition’ is its name)

Mad Ox Edition

Newbury Comics Edition

Redd Skull Comics Edition

Rogues Gallery Comics Edition

Showcase Comic Books and Collectibles Edition

The Amazing Comic-Fever Edition

The Comic Hunter Edition

The Core Edition

World’s End Edition

XO4Y Rostov-on-Don Edition (a Russian edition - the ‘XO4Y’ name is what is shown on the cover) 

Please remove these 3 (reason as noted):

Bring Your Own Books Edition (it was not produced - confirmed by Ryan Phillips at the BYOB store)

Legends Comics & Games Fresno Edition (the Legends & Games Edition above it in the list is the only one – duplication)

Midtown Comics Online Edition (the Midtown Comics Edition above it in the list is the only one – duplication)

Please make the following 4 corrections:

BuyMeComics.com Edition should be named BuyMeToys.com Edition

Comicaze Comics Books and More Edition should be ComicKaze Edition

Infinite Mushroom Comic & Game Shop Edition should be The Infinite Mushroom Edition

Laughing Ogre Comics Edition should be The Laughing Ogre Edition

All-in-all, I believe there are 151 store editions, plus the generic Retailer Edition = 152.

4 hours ago, StephenWA said:

I have reviewed the "Store" Edition list (of the 15th Anniversary editions) on our Registry today. There are several revisions to be made (in my opinion / advice), and I have written to Mollie as follows:

Please add these 20 comics (all 15th Anniversary Edition 1s):

1st Edition Edition (yes, two x ‘Edition’ – ‘1st Edition’ is its name)

Another Dimension Comics Edition

Collector Zone Edition

Comic Traders Edition

Comiczone Edition

Enjoy Comics Edition

Fantasy Realm Edition

Giant Robot Edition

Little Shop of Heroes Edition

Limited Edition Edition (yes, two x ‘Edition’ – ‘Limited Edition’ is its name)

Mad Ox Edition

Newbury Comics Edition

Redd Skull Comics Edition

Rogues Gallery Comics Edition

Showcase Comic Books and Collectibles Edition

The Amazing Comic-Fever Edition

The Comic Hunter Edition

The Core Edition

World’s End Edition

XO4Y Rostov-on-Don Edition (a Russian edition - the ‘XO4Y’ name is what is shown on the cover) 

Please remove these 3 (reason as noted):

Bring Your Own Books Edition (it was not produced - confirmed by Ryan Phillips at the BYOB store)

Legends Comics & Games Fresno Edition (the Legends & Games Edition above it in the list is the only one – duplication)

Midtown Comics Online Edition (the Midtown Comics Edition above it in the list is the only one – duplication)

Please make the following 4 corrections:

BuyMeComics.com Edition should be named BuyMeToys.com Edition

Comicaze Comics Books and More Edition should be ComicKaze Edition

Infinite Mushroom Comic & Game Shop Edition should be The Infinite Mushroom Edition

Laughing Ogre Comics Edition should be The Laughing Ogre Edition

All-in-all, I believe there are 151 store editions, plus the generic Retailer Edition = 152.

You have added all the International editions.  Yet that Registry only has US published books.  This seems inconsistent to me.  If it was a Global Registry (and maybe one should be created?), you would have issues in other languages.  Or maybe add only the ones in English language.   I’m not trying to complete this set but I don’t see how non-US versions make sense.

On 12/9/2018 at 7:48 PM, BladeTX said:

You have added all the International editions.  Yet that Registry only has US published books.  This seems inconsistent to me.  If it was a Global Registry (and maybe one should be created?), you would have issues in other languages.  Or maybe add only the ones in English language.   I’m not trying to complete this set but I don’t see how non-US versions make sense.

Not quite. I only added / corrected the international listings already present on the Registry. They are all in English language, and all of these were published in the US. I obtained my copies from the US, and I imagine that anyone else could do likewise if they wished to.

TWD comics 85 and 106 in the set have English language, US published, British LCS editions.

As an aside, CGC already has separate sets listed of Argentinian and Serbian sets of The Walking Dead books on the Registry.

Edited by StephenWA
Correction

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:04 PM, StephenWA said:

Not quite. I only added / corrected the international listings already present on the Registry. They are all in English language, and all of these were published in the US. I obtained my copies from the US, and I imagine that anyone else could do likewise if they wished to.

TWD comics 85 and 106 in the set have English language, US published, British LCS editions.

As an aside, CGC already has separate sets listed of Argentinian and Serbian sets of The Walking Dead books on the Registry.

I'm just a new guy re: TWD comics so I'll let ya'll sort out what should and should not be in the complete set.   I'm only working on the #1-48 set though Sensei Ryan is working hard to convince me to do at least the full regular set.  And last night I impulsively bought one of my favorite Hero Initiative originals from CC.   So looks like I'm headed into the TWD deep end!

Sweet Hero Initiative Cover! 

I too picked up a something in the auction..  Back cover to issue #25. 

A link to my CAF with a larger image is Here

Issue 25 BC_small.jpg

Only took me 8+ years of collecting WD art to get this BC. At this rate I'll have a front cover in no time!

Edited by Phill the Governor

21 hours ago, Phill the Governor said:

Sweet Hero Initiative Cover! 

I too picked up a something in the auction..  Back cover to issue #25. 

A link to my CAF with a larger image is Here

Issue 25 BC_small.jpg

Only took me 8+ years of collecting WD art to get this BC. At this rate I'll have a front cover in no time!

That is one of the best ones for sure.   Nice!    And I clicked your link.    Kudos on some amazing art, like the Lori/Judith splash and the Governor execution.   Now all you need is the page of Negan taking a baseball bat to Glenn.  Seriously though, really impressive collection.

Edited by BladeTX