• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Daredevil trailer

68 posts in this topic

Average Bs. Nothing remarkable. Thank God for airbrushing, creative light placement, and careful camera angles in videos, and primarily "Full Force", who laughs all the way to the bank, while their many white, image conscious, pop-music platinum fronts rise to stardom on their hidden writing and creative talent, like a bunch of Milli-Vanillis with half a singing voice

Hey... you weren't supposed to let them in on our secret... Heck, I got 40 responses to that silly X-Men, Cherry, TOS 49, Hulk 1 thread...

As far as the Daredevil trailer goes, the opinion of comic fans isn't worth spit... If people who aren't current fans of comic books like the movie, then the filmmakers have done their job. Daredevil has a circulation around 70,000 copies right now, which would equate to $400,000 at the box office. The filmmakers should be far more concerned about the opinions of the people spending the other $149,600,000 to see it.

I've read every John Grisham novel, and the best movie of the bunch is the one that was least faithful to the source material. The original ending to The Firm was terrible; the filmmakers improved the book by changing the ending.

Whether Bullseye has the skills from the comic is irrelevant. We comic readers do not have the buying power at the ticket window to make that determination. The filmmaker's goal is to tell a story that will sell. If that means Murdock and Elektra swap hair colors, so be it. If that means Bullseye looks like a tool, so be it.

Most of us read comics now, or used to read comics in the past, because the stories connected with us on some level. The characters, both good and evil, had a place in our consciousness. We had moments alone, staring at the page where our inner voice cried out, "Whoa... that was cool!" The Daredevil of Frank Miller is different from the Daredevil of Kevin Smith, which is different from the Daredevil of Brian Michael Bendis. The Daredevil of this movie will be different as well. And that's how it should be...

After reading this thread off and on for a week, I showed the trailer to four of my customers who have NEVER read a Daredevil comic. All four had good things to say, including a 13 year old girl and her mid-30s mother who said almost in unison "Whoa... that looks cool!"

I'll apologize ahead of time, but hat has to be THE most illogical post I have ever read.

I have seen movies where the source material was so different, that the name was basically all they had in common. By your logic, these should be killer movies, but the vast majority reaked and made 10-cents at the box office. I've seen movies that stuck pretty close to the source (LoTR, Jurassic Park 1) and I found them highly enjoyable. Others have varied greatly, yet were good, bad or ugly, depending.

Change for the sake of change is not good, and your example of The Firm demonstrates you do not understand the transition from novel to film, or how the source material can affect the final movie. The Firm was not a successful movie because "they changed the ending" but that it's probably the only Grisham novel with any real movie pacing, mystery or excitement in it.

As for DD, I'm not sick of seeing "Dent Head" because he doesn't have the Bullseye costume on, but because a) he looks like a tool, b) the preview made him look incompetent (big mistake for an antagonist), and c) he needs a tailor and/or a mirror.

It's not change I'm afraid of, but more a watering-down of the core Bullseye characteristics that made him a reasonably popular character, supposedly worthy of a feature role in a movie.

Contrast that to the X-Men and Spider-man movies, where Sabretooth, Magneto and Green Goblin are shown (in the clips) as menacing and literally pummelling the heros most of the time. Bullseye looks like a short, stumpy, uncoordinated insufficiently_thoughtful_person with a dented head.

A costume won't save that horse.

CI,

I agree with you that change for its own sake isn't necessarily good. Unnecessary changes have ruined a wide variety of quality material (Superman Red+Blue anyone?).

But many of the posts in this thread are suggesting that change is automatically wrong, that the only measure of the quality of the Daredevil film is how 'accurately' it delivers the source material. More than one person in this thread has suggested the filmmakers should have kept Bullseye in his original costume. My point was that we are not qualified to make that decision. The idea that because we 'know' the characters so well, we 'know' what's best for the success of the film is ludicrous.

If you were to dress someone up as Bullseye in his original costume and ask random people on the street if he looked cool or tough or menacing, I doubt you would get many positive responses. In the 'real' world, he would look like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

We may think he looks like a tool in the movie. We may think that his abilities in the movie are a joke. We may think he looks "like a short, stumpy, uncoordinated insufficiently_thoughtful_person with a dented head." (and I actually do not disagree with this description in the slightest).

But ultimately it doesn't matter what we think. Because we will not be the ones deciding the success of the film. If we were any good at spreading the love of comics to the masses, readership would be much higher than it is now.... If they turned Bullseye into a gay black man with a leaping 'fro and a matador's cape that would be fine with me if it meant the movie was a success. He's the fourth-billed character anyway. His tool-like appearance may just make Elektra and Kingpin that much cooler...

You are correct that they appear to have taken a reasonably popular comic book character and watered him down. But reasonable popularity in a comic book is doing $200,000 in business in a month. Those of us who like the comic book character will have a negligible impact on the success of the movie. The success of the movie will be based on those random 13 year old girls, 30-something mothers, and the 20-something thug wannabes who loved Fast and the Furious... And I am betting those people will eat this up...

I've read every John Grisham novel, and the best movie of the bunch is the one that was least faithful to the source material. The original ending to The Firm was terrible; the filmmakers improved the book by changing the ending.

Lighthouse, you MUST be joking. I read the novel (loved it) and saw the movie (hated it). IMHO, the ending to the movie version of "The Firm" is the single worst ending in the HISTORY of Hollywood. It turned what was a very good movie into an outright laughingstock. I was stunned sitting in my seat at the theatre - I kept telling myself, this is a joke, please let this be a dream sequence, this totally implausible, non-sensical ending has single-handedly turned a seriously good thriller into a slapstick comedy. Tom Cruise seemed to turn into his "Risky Business" character Joel, spinning this bulls*** story to these no-neck mob caricatures...what the hell was that? All of sudden people in the theater start laughing at how bad things are on screen - this is not how the story is supposed to end! Terrible, simply terrible...

Gene

Gene, your point is well taken that every Tom Cruise character is the same as every other Tom Cruise character. With the possible exceptions of Jerry Maguire or Magnolia, Mr. Mapother plays the same guy every time, just dressed in a new Halloween costume. His career reads like a laundry list of male archetypes: Pimp, Football Player, Fighter Pilot, Pool Hustler, Bartender, Car Salesman, War Veteran, Race Car Driver, Boxer, Lawyer, Lawyer, Vampire, Secret Agent, Sports Agent, Cop...

Just as every Elvis impersonator looks more like every other Elvis impersonator than any of them look like Elvis, Cruise's characters seem to have more in common with each other than they do with their intended professions.

But as far as worst ending in Hollywood history goes, clearly you have never seen Robot Jox... tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif