• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,584 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, sagii said:

doh! looked at these covers a dozen times plus, and never drew the connection these are the same players! 

Fascinating. Serialized Romance. A first that I don't think the St. John run of covrers can lay claim to. (Don't mind me, I'm just trying to :baiting: @Sqeggs ) :D

:taptaptap:

2 hours ago, JvR11 said:
19 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I bought the TLP 5 I posted raw from Harley for $275.  Why do I let that man take advantage of me? :cry:

That was a deal

Yep.  In hindsight, it was a steal.  But this was probably five years ago, so it didn't seem cheap at the time.  

As collectors and occasional sellers, we usually remember the stuff we sold cheap that later took off in price.  I suppose when you are a full-time dealer like Harley, you just shrug it off because it happens so frequently. 

52 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Splash to Cinderella Love 14, a non-Baker cover issue so I only just became familiar with this story...

CL14splash.jpg

Baker at the peak of his powers.  This was one of the very last new stories he did at St. John, right before their titles switched to all reprinted interiors. 

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:13 AM, JvR11 said:

I don't have a Sweetheart Diary 38.  But, this was cover was a swipe from a Baker story.  I just don't remember which one!  I should have kept notes.

Joanna- the scan you posted of Sweetheart Diary 38 seems to have vanished from your post... but were you thinking the 4th panel on this page from CL 14 is the source of the swipe you mentioned?  The composition does seem very close to SD 38...  

Edit:  Seeing the SD 38 cover again, I'd say that's a match.  Good catch!

cl14pg4.jpg

sweetheart_diary_38.jpg

Edited by 29dukedog
added desc.

4 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Joanna- the scan you posted of Sweetheart Diary 38 seems to have vanished from your post... but were you thinking the 4th panel on this page from CL 14 is the source of the swipe you mentioned?  The composition does seem very close to SD 38...  

cl14pg4.jpg

sweetheart_diary_38.jpg

Yep.  You nailed it.

48 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

Since we seem to be uncovering interiors (pun intended)... 

The entire "Mitzi" story from Movie Comics #4 was later reworked and re-scripted for Cowgirl Romances #10... 

mc4_Mitzi_Splash.jpg

mc5b.jpg

So, "And I do mean flesh! Look at those biceps! What a man!" becomes "Here he comes -- but those men what are they doing?" :)

Not a response to the CCA, of course, because CGR 10 is also pre-Code.

17 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Yep.  You nailed it.

Joanna gets the credit for making the connection.  I just got lucky and found the panel... but even there, I had a little help; the recently posted CL 14 splash page served as a subliminal reminder.  I knew I'd seen that image before, somewhere...  

18 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:
38 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Yep.  You nailed it.

Joanna gets the credit for making the connection.  I just got lucky and found the panel... but even there, I had a little help; the recently posted CL 14 splash page served as a subliminal reminder.  I knew I'd seen that image before, somewhere...  

And this will become important some day, when "The Big Book of Baker Swipes" is ultimately published.  

:whistle: 

16 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

And this will become important some day, when "The Big Book of Baker Swipes" is ultimately published.  

:whistle: 

So when I'm on Amazon pre-ordering Nelson's book on pedigrees, will it tell me "People who bought this book also bought 'The Big Book of Baker Swipes'"?

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

So when I'm on Amazon pre-ordering Nelson's book on pedigrees, will it tell me "People who bought this book also bought 'The Big Book of Baker Swipes'"?

Of course it will.  This is information we all need to know!

17 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

cl14pg4.jpg

sweetheart_diary_38.jpg

Oh great!  Thank you for finding this and adding it to the thread.  I'm sure there are more connections we haven't made yet.  I'm thinking they had to change up the cover as the original version wouldn't have passed Comic Code.

Edited by JvR11

21 minutes ago, JvR11 said:

Oh great!  Thank you for finding this and adding it to the thread.  I'm sure there are more connections we haven't made yet.  I'm thinking they had to change up the cover as the original version wouldn't have passed Comic Code.

I think you are right.  In the original she seems to be in bed and is wearing a skimpy nightgown.  In the redrawn version she appears to have fallen asleep after reading her diary during the day and is wearing a daytime dress.  The CCA sure made things less interesting! :)

18 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
19 hours ago, JvR11 said:

I think you are right.  In the original she seems to be in bed and is wearing a skimpy nightgown.  In the redrawn version she appears to have fallen asleep after reading her diary during the day and is wearing a daytime dress.  The CCA sure made things less interesting! :)

The CCA's ham-handed approach to censorship is perhaps nowhere better illustrated than in this before-and-after comparison.  The panel on the left appeared in Harvey's Teen-Age Brides #5 (published before the Code), and the panel on the right is from the reprint in Teen Bride-to-Be Romances #20 (published post-Code). 

In the code approved panel, the man's head has been completely removed, but his dialogue remains; "I...love... you, baby!" 

One might well ask, "Where's the guy?" 

For "those who know how to look", the answer is obvious...  

pre-post-code-harvey_b.jpg

Edited by 29dukedog
improved image

20 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

The CCA's ham-handed approach to censorship is perhaps nowhere better illustrated than in this before-and-after comparison.  The panel on the left appeared in Harvey's Teen-Age Brides #5 (published before the Code), and the panel on the right is from the reprint in Teen Bride-to-Be Romances #20 (published post-Code). 

In the code approved panel, the man's head has been completely removed, but his dialogue remains; "I...love... you, baby!" 

One might well ask, "Where's the guy?" 

For "those who know how to look", the answer is obvious...  

pre-post-code-harvey_b.jpg

That's similar to Steranko's Nick Fury where the censored panels may be more risque than the uncensored panels.