• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,584 posts in this topic

This one surprised me: TAR 3 auction

Tough book, I guess, but that's well more than I paid for a CGC 5.0 not long ago.

I saw that auction. Very strong price. I have a couple of copies and now I'm tempted to sell my under-copy, which is much nicer than this. It must be the spanking panel.

I'm not sure. It's not a book you see many copies of but what with the very rusty staples that one is a real beater. Two high fb bidders set the price, so maybe it's another sign of Baker books taking off. (shrug)

Can't remember if I've posted this before. Oh well.

teen-agetemptation1-a.jpg

Nice! Tied at the top.

One of the first Baker books I bought was the Crippen copy of that issue. It's currently on a looooong Florida vacation. Will be interesting to see what it grades at. Probably below 8.5, I think. hm

Heritage graded the Crippen, fine. I tend to agree.

Edited by comicnoir

I would say about the same. The #6 is my favorite of the two. Nice Baker girl and I love the green cover.

Is Seven Seas 6 more or less scarce than 4? I've heard opinions on both sides. hm

They're both great covers... but I also think SS 6 is superior, and more deserving of the title, "classic cover".

I would say about the same. The #6 is my favorite of the two. Nice Baker girl and I love the green cover.

Is Seven Seas 6 more or less scarce than 4? I've heard opinions on both sides. hm

They're both great covers... but I also think SS 6 is superior, and more deserving of the title, "classic cover".

Tough call. 4 seems to be getting more love lately but you guys may be right that 6 might be the better cover.

comitrhymeswithlust_zps38f9b4b9.jpg

Nice copy of a Baker must-have!

Just got my own copy back from CGC. I was hoping for a litttttle bit higher grade but it does have a pretty good edge tear from where a person's thumb holds the book, so whatever.

I also got a reprint copy of the book and finally read the thing. It's a very entertaining story, very much like a movie treatment. I could see it being the story for a full-length film noir movie, and a pretty good one at that.

152537.jpg.a3df30a23326c5451e7b074990e1e779.jpg

This Pictorial Romances 10 sold tonight for $605. Tied for highest grade with one other. Is the Baker romance trend down? I haven't done any research, but once you discount Sixth Street, has there been a more than usual influx of 8.0+ books to market?

and is the grading as usual for past 2 years, or have we entered a new tightening in response to new competition and the last recent period of loose grading?

PictorialRomances10f_zpslpieg8cn-1.jpg

Edited by Dr. Love

One of the more common issues. Premiums are still paid for the rarer copies, I think.

OK I hear you, makes sense. But...

So here I am again, harping on the grading. Since I asked you the last time about cgc in general, now, what do you think. On the face of it, does that fc say 8.0 to you?

WHATTA YA HEAR GUYS -

You know it's hard out here for a slab pimp

When he tryin' to get this money for the rent

For the Cadillacs and gas money spent

Because a whole lot of boardies talkin' zhit

One of the more common issues. Premiums are still paid for the rarer copies, I think.

OK I hear you, makes sense. But...

So here I am again, harping on the grading. Since I asked you the last time about cgc in general, now, what do you think. On the face of it, does that fc say 8.0 to you?

WHATTA YA HEAR GUYS -

You know it's hard out here for a slab pimp

When he tryin' to get this money for the rent

For the Cadillacs and gas money spent

Because a whole lot of boardies talkin' zhit

It looks nicer than 8.0 on the surface. But CLink scans are hard to read and we can't see the bc. I showed you my Planet 71 and I think you agreed. I was robbed.

There are only about 20 or 30 of use guys that are fighting for these Bakers. I believe that OS is to low but not as high as the bidding wars are showing. I love these covers but would never pay these ending prices . But it is what the Market can bear. I just have to enjoy his crime covers in my collection and coming to this thread to check out these beautiful Covers. I am two much of a cheap ars. :D I have been collecting and dealing in GA for over 35 years. Just my two cents.

Edited by HHwolfman

This Pictorial Romances 10 sold tonight for $605. Tied for highest grade with one other. Is the Baker romance trend down? I haven't done any research, but once you discount Sixth Street, has there been a more than usual influx of 8.0+ books to market?

and is the grading as usual for past 2 years, or have we entered a new tightening in response to new competition and the last recent period of loose grading?

PictorialRomances10f_zpslpieg8cn.jpg

I thought it would go higher ... but I'm glad to have won it for what I did! :D

And yes, the scuttlebutt is that grading has tightened up lately. Whether it's the competition from the new guys (although you might think that would lead to a loosening hm ) or just one of those cyclical things, I don't know.

I see that photobucket was acting up for you as well last night.