• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,319 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
On 5/26/2021 at 5:49 PM, Changer said:

CGC really distains stains..

But dust shadows? Nothing to see here

Yeah, you know I think this is another decision made in the early days to accommodate collectors/dealers who had Church books (and other peds or keys) with bad dust shadows and now they're stuck with it. Never made sense to me. You can kind of squint and say, ok, production defects, even Marvel chipping, we'll overlook. But what's the rationale for ignoring dust shadows? They're clearly the result of improper storage. How does that get a pass?

Well, we know how it gets a pass, but it shouldn't! :taptaptap:

On 5/27/2021 at 2:14 PM, jimjum12 said:

I'm fond of books with stains on the backside. ... bringing the price and grade down, but leaving front cover eye appeal high. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

ComicLink has practically built a business on books with trouble backsides. O.o

On 4/30/2021 at 8:22 PM, szav said:

Since it supposedly goes up to 1951 there should be APCs, Seven Seas, Texans, Western Bandit Trails etc...even sone romance possibly if those were part of the collection.  

Alas, there are zero Baker romance in the collection, apparently. Unless you count the PLs as romance (and count them as Baker!). No SS 4 or SS 6, either. Not sure about Baker Westerns. Apparently the collection will be spread out over multiple auctions, so maybe we'll see some down the line. 

On 5/6/2021 at 4:25 PM, Miamiknight3434 said:

I'm pretty excited to have added this gem to the collection 😍

20210505_134541.jpg

One of his best. Copied by Buscema for the cover of a Charlton romance book. Can't seem to find my scan of that one.

10 minutes ago, szav said:
39 minutes ago, szav said:

Lack of a 4 and 6 would indicate someone who had early access to this collection plucked them.  

And now that I think about it I bet that person's name is Sqeggs.

Who blabbed?? :taptaptap:

44 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

One of his best. Copied by Buscema for the cover of a Charlton romance book. Can't seem to find my scan of that one.

Mulling it over, I think it was Giordano and not Buscema who did the later cover swipe for Charlton. hm

4 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:
50 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Mulling it over, I think it was Giordano and not Buscema who did the later cover swipe for Charlton. hm

This one? Not, my copy, alas....

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.ea6f220a29fb3c45025aeab8845b13ef.jpg

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Greetings men and women of earth! I bring you tidings from a world very much like your own except that in this world Matt Baker was ... Greek??

s-l1600.jpeg

You found another copy?!? I didn't check the previous posts to see if this was the copy sold on ebay several months ago but another would really be something! These are tough!

6 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I've had these for a while but I don't think I ever posted them. To come to think of it, I haven't been posting anything in recent months!

My scanner settings are really actentuating stains and discoloration. These books look better in hand. 

2021-05-25-0001.jpeg

2021-05-25-0001.jpeg

2021-05-25-0001.jpeg

This guy has the romance collection I'd like to have... 

I thought this was interesting. 

First, a book that's clearly Baker, although not acknowledge as such by CGC (I tried!). 

2021-05-10-0001.jpeg

Hi Tony :hi:

Love it. Well maybe when i submit mine, i can make them see things our way on this one (:

Now this one is signed by Colletta, but something is going on. Baker pencils that Colletta inked--and then cheekily signed despite not having done the pencils? Colletta copying Baker? Something else? 

2021-05-10-0001.jpeg

You know where i stand on some of these (and there are others on GCD that agree), I think Baker ghosted some of these. Nice copy!