• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lone Star Comics (MyComicShop.com) is robbing me! Need advice!
2 2

223 posts in this topic

I trade with my game shop frequently and he usually gives me 50 cents on the dollar. I dont see how its much different than any shop that offers in trade.

The difference is, when I agreed to trade with them, I was offered $200 to spend in their store (so I could get $200 worth of stuff). Now they only want to give me $100 in cash, which means I can only get $100 worth of stuff elsewhere.

I would never have traded them the books I did for $100. I felt like I was giving them away at $200.

It isn't the contract we had. Lone Star was the one who decided they no longer wanted to do business, so why whould I be penalized another $100 because they decided to breach the contract. All my contracts state payment in dollar amounts to be issue 100% as store credit. Paying me half of the agreed upon amount in cash is not the contract I agreed to.

I'm still not sure how you got your $200 credit.

If you got your credit by returning books you purchased from Lone Star, you should be screaming your head off.

If you got your credit by sending your books to Lone Star, i.e. selling books to Lone Star in return for store credit, $0.50 on the dollar sounds right to me.

I would try solve this issue (given the second option is correct) by offering to use your store credit at the full $200 and agreeing ahead of time that you will not return anything.

If you have the first situation just about anything would be on the table - that's fraud. What's stopping them from having people return all the books they want and when they need cash, ban them and take half their money.

I sold Lone Star some comics books I owned. They issue me store credit for them, which is what we agreed to. I then bought some books from them, and returned a few, and they put the credit back on my account.

But now they don't want to do further business, so they want to pay me $100 cash and delete the $200 credit from my account, and then close it. However, I would never have traded the same books for $100 cash. So my position is that I want my books back (which several have already sold), or I want the full amount of credit issued as cash, since they are the ones deciding to close my account or let me place further orders.

Even with the second situation, I think it is fraud. What if you agree to trade them a ASM #1 for $5000 trade, knowing they had another book you would buy with the $5000. Then as soon as they received your item in the mail, sent you a check for $2500 and told you not to come back. Is that fair?

Edited by Broken Shakespear

I would tell them flat out. Return ALL the books, OR honor the credit. They accepted a deal, and sold some of the merchandise. They are no longer in the right (or position) to change the circumstances. And the $100.00 is NOT fair. The deal was made on Lonestars behalf now they HAVE to honor it. Otherwise I believe this would be theft by deception ? He was told one thing would happen, when it no longer suited them. They changed the terms to better suit them.

dealer !

Edited by The Resurrection

I trade with my game shop frequently and he usually gives me 50 cents on the dollar. I dont see how its much different than any shop that offers in trade.

The difference is, when I agreed to trade with them, I was offered $200 to spend in their store (so I could get $200 worth of stuff). Now they only want to give me $100 in cash, which means I can only get $100 worth of stuff elsewhere.

I would never have traded them the books I did for $100. I felt like I was giving them away at $200.

It isn't the contract we had. Lone Star was the one who decided they no longer wanted to do business, so why whould I be penalized another $100 because they decided to breach the contract. All my contracts state payment in dollar amounts to be issue 100% as store credit. Paying me half of the agreed upon amount in cash is not the contract I agreed to.

If you got your credit by returning books you purchased from Lone Star, you should be screaming your head off.

If you got your credit by sending your books to Lone Star, i.e. selling books to Lone Star in return for store credit, $0.50 on the dollar sounds right to me.

I would try solve this issue (given the second option is correct) by offering to use your store credit at the full $200 and agreeing ahead of time that you will not return anything.

If you have the first situation just about anything would be on the table - that's fraud. What's stopping them from having people return all the books they want and when they need cash, ban them and take half their money.

I sold Lone Star some comics books I owned. They issue me store credit for them, which is what we agreed to. I then bought some books from them, and returned a few, and they put the credit back on my account.

But now they don't want to do further business, so they want to pay me $100 cash and delete the $200 credit from my account, and then close it. However, I would never have traded the same books for $100 cash. So my position is that I want my books back (which several have already sold), or I want the full amount of credit issued as cash, since they are the ones deciding to close my account or let me place further orders.

Even with the second situation, I think it is fraud. What if you agree to trade them a ASM #1 for $5000 trade, knowing they had another book you would buy with the $5000. Then as soon as they received your item in the mail, sent you a check for $2500 and told you not to come back. Is that fair?

I'd go with "let me make one last $200 order, no returns, and avoid all the other hassle.". Then if Buddy messes with you by filling your order for NM books with VGs, post them all here and put him through the ringer.

I agree with you in principle, but they never expected to pay cash for the books you sent them. Banning you with this type of credit is a bum deal, certainly.

I'd go with "let me make one last $200 order, no returns, and avoid all the other hassle.". Then if Buddy messes with you by filling your order for NM books with VGs, post them all here and put him through the ringer.

I dont think I would even accept books from this dealer. Tell him $200.00 cash or the books.

I dont think I would even accept books from this dealer. Tell him $200.00 cash or the books.

I can see that, too. Sounds like it's off the table, though, if some of the books are sold already. With Buddy laying down the "take whatever action you want but the $100 cash is all you are getting" law.... I can see wanting to take some action.

I traded them $400 worth of comics. They gave me $200 in trade credit. And now they want to cash that out by giving me $100. And the thing is, many of the books have already sold.

I used to trade books with them a few years back, and as I recall you have to decide up front whether you want cash or credit. What would your total have been if you had chosen cash instead of credit? hm

I would probably take them to small claims court on principle, and sue for the difference, court costs, and travel fees to Texas .

I'm sorry but what difference are we talking here? You won't win travel costs and court costs so the difference would be $0. Plus they probably have a decent case via the law. And in the end, they'b probably agree to give you the $200 in trade and then just give you crappy comics worth $100 for the troubles.

Fighting for principle can be a noble venture but it looks like you are fighting our of spite, and there is a difference.

BTW, I'll say again, I think Lone Star has handled this poorly

And another off topic. Does the BBB even matter anymore? Does anyone, with any frequency, check the BBB before they conduct business. More and more this reminds me of a Simpsons episode.

Marge: Kids, why don’t you write a complaint letter? That’s how I got the Channel 6 weather girl to start wearing a bra.

Homer: That was you?!

Bart: A letter, huh? Okay Lis—get this down. Dear Randall Curtis, your movie stunk smelly butt. I am fine. Sincerely...

Lisa: I’ll write the letter.

Homer: Marge, you destroyed my interest in weather!

or this one

Marge: Well, you won't be watching these cartoons anymore, ever!

Lisa: But, Mom, if you take our cartoons away, we'll grow up without a sense of humor and be robots!

Bart: Really? What kind of robots?

Hommer: Hey, how come you can watch cartoons but the kids can't?

Marge: Because.

Homer: Because why?

Marge: Because I said so.

Homer: Because you said so why?

Marge: Homer, I'm trying to work!

Homer: Oh. What are you doing?

Marge: I'm cataloging the violence in these cartoons. I don't think adults have ever actually sat down and watched them before.

Scratchy: Aaah!

Scratchy: Aah!

Marge: This is the kind of entertainment they think is suitable for younger and more impresstionable viewers?

Homer: Yeah, but what are you gonna do?

Marge: I'll tell you what I'm going to do. I'm going to write a letter.

"Dear Purveyors of Senseless Violence: I know this way sound silly at first, but I believe that the cartoons you show to our children are influencing their behavior in a negative way."

Meyers: Take a letter, Miss White.

Dear valued viewer, thank you for taking an interest in the Itchy

and Scratchy program. Enclosed is a personally autographed photo of

America's favorite cat and mouse team to add to your collection.

In regards to your specific comments about the show, our research

shows that one person cannot make a difference, no matter how big

a screwball she is, so let me close by saying...

Marge: [reading the letter] And the horse I rode in on?

I'll show them what one screwball can do!

I traded them $400 worth of comics. They gave me $200 in trade credit. And now they want to cash that out by giving me $100. And the thing is, many of the books have already sold.

I used to trade books with them a few years back, and as I recall you have to decide up front whether you want cash or credit. What would your total have been if you had chosen cash instead of credit? hm

$100. He wants to pay me as if I had selected cash instead of credit, thus "convert" my credit to cash.

I agree with you in principle, but they never expected to pay cash for the books you sent them. Banning you with this type of credit is a bum deal, certainly.

I e-mailed Buddy and and proposed your solution to him. I even took it one step further and agreed to order one or two CGC books (assuming they are still in stock by the time an agreement is met), which have a no return policy anyway.

If he will accept this I will consider it fair and I will let you all know what his response is to the offer.

I agree with your sentiment about the BBB, I am sure someone could present an example where they were helpful but in reality it is a membership driven oprganization.

Join and they add you to their list and see you again when dues are needed.

The board seems, to me at least, to be the best place to air this complaint.

It more than anywhere else reaches to the target audience for this speciifc complaint.

Besides I am sure someone with knowledge of Lone Star can fill us in on several Buddy stories in the mean time.

I seem to remember something about his volatile temperance.....

Edited by maxstuf

The problem is, you did business with Lone Star.

Buddy's PR skills are a joke. Loser with a capitol L.

I'd tell him I want my books back since he's changing the rules on the deal you agreed to.

I knew he was a loser without social skills, but if he's giving up on your business because you returned a few books due to his grading skills, then he's a *forking* eediot.

:screwy:

I e-mailed Buddy and and proposed your solution to him. I even took it one step further and agreed to order one or two CGC books (assuming they are still in stock by the time an agreement is met), which have a no return policy anyway.

If he will accept this I will consider it fair and I will let you all know what his response is to the offer.

Good luck. :wishluck: The situation he's putting you in is appalling... I hope it works out.

The problem is, you did business with Lone Star.

Buddy's PR skills are a joke. Loser with a capitol L.

I'd tell him I want my books back since he's changing the rules on the deal you agreed to.

I knew he was a loser without social skills, but if he's giving up on your business because you returned a few books due to his grading skills, then he's a *forking* eediot.

:screwy:

I think I would have stated this a bit more diplomatically (although "forking" was a nice touch), but I am with you in spirit.

It seems very short-sighted to me to stop selling to someone who buys a lot and sells you books at 1/4 market....

$100. He wants to pay me as if I had selected cash instead of credit, thus "convert" my credit to cash.

I'm betting that they probably don't have a written policy for converting trades into cash. I would point this out to him and continue to negotiate.

ridiculous on their part

Whatever happened to 'the customer is always right!'

Good luck on this quest and please point out to him that it is a discussion on these boards where many people buy books from him. If he feels that this kind of PR doesn't work against him...fine, but his best bet is to resolve this situation in a kindly manner.

I think I would have stated this a bit more diplomatically (although "forking" was a nice touch), but I am with you in spirit.

I have a problem being "curt" sometimes. My bad. :eek:

ridiculous on their part

Whatever happened to 'the customer is always right!'

Good luck on this quest and please point out to him that it is a discussion on these boards where many people buy books from him. If he feels that this kind of PR doesn't work against him...fine, but his best bet is to resolve this situation in a kindly manner.

The customer is always right hahahahaha next thing we will here some of us still hold doors open for women.

In all seriousness you nailed it. And I can be added to the list of people who will NOT do business with these guys. I need to start a list, well the way this board works a blackberry haha. If you cant grade you shouldnt be doing this, and if people are letting it slide because of "good" prices they are wrong also.

Can we start a forum Blackballed list ? Like the list in the FS forum ? That would be ALOT easier.

Pat-