• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Could this be a CGC 8.0?

95 posts in this topic

Sal...

Comic Information

Certification # 0130355016

Grade Date 03/24/2005

Title Daredevil

Issue 181

Issue Date 4/82

Publisher Marvel Comics

Country

Variant

Pedigree

Category Modern

Grade 9.8

Page Quality WHITE

GradeText

Art Comments Frank Miller story & cover

Frank Miller & Klaus Janson art

Key Comments ""Death"" of Elektra.

Bullseye & Kingpin appearance.

Issue Year 1982

Hi, Dan. :hi:

Does the slab have an inner well?

Does the label look like it was duplicated on a printer?

Can you give better pictures of the label around the hologram area?

Thanks for the help! :foryou:

Hi everyone,

My name is Dan and I am the owner of the ebay store and comic this thread is about. I want to personaly thank you all for bringing this to our attention. We will investigate further and take any and all action possible against the previous owner from which we acquired this book. Unfortunately it was quite a while ago so we have no idea what we can do. (any help from you guys would greatly be appreciated). We are new to ebay and care EXTREMELY for our customers. Therefore once one of the posters brought this to our attention we immediately took action. We are very happy that we took the hit and did not sell it to a customer who later could have found this error and feel ill will towards us. Again thank you all very much, and please give us a clue as to any information you can pass on to us about action we can take.

You should discuss this with an attorney in your area and get advice there.

This should not be considered me giving legal advice or acting as your attorney, but....

Under Florida state law you have a 4 year statute of limitations to pursue a cause of action in civil court based on fraud, the same length of statute is available for breach of oral contract.

Criminally, theft (by fraud or otherwise) in excess of $300 is deemed "grand theft" and is a felony with a 3 year statute of limitations. If the defendant is continually absent from the state this can be extended a maximum of three years.

And if you shipped the books to you, or crossed state lines to complete the transaction there is a whole new potential level of federal court charges from interstate fraud to mail fraud to choose from.

Best of luck,

C

I will get a photo to you, is there an email so I can send it, and when you say inner well, pardon my naivity, but I have no idea what that is. Could it have been done on a printer, yes I guess, it does have the sticker (thin one at the top of the case) with the same info. Also is there something I can look for as far as an opening or something? This is the only old label cgc I have all others are the new one so I have nothing to compare it with. I know the new ones have that blue fade. I will check back within a couple hours. Thanks.

Hi, Dan. :hi:

Does the slab have an inner well?

Does the label look like it was duplicated on a printer?

Can you give better pictures of the label around the hologram area?

Thanks for the help! :foryou:

Steve,

I'm pretty sure the well is there on the 121.

60441-asm121.jpg.cbf569d6da268c88961f3cb6845c3007.jpg

I think you're right, but I just wanted to make sure since we can get info from the source.

It's probably a label switch. But what stuns me is why do it on a CGC 8.0 ASM 121. Why not shoot for something you can make more than $30 on. :screwy:

:o

I didn't realize this sort of scam was possible. I thought CGC cases were designed to show signs of tampering if the slab is cracked open. Is there any way of detecting this sort of fraud with the slab in hand?

I think you're right, but I just wanted to make sure since we can get info from the source.

It's probably a label switch. But what stuns me is why do it on a CGC 8.0 ASM 121. Why not shoot for something you can make more than $30 on. :screwy:

Someone mentioned that the DD #181 looked "Skinny", but i checked it against another 30-40 copies that are listed and it appears just about the same as all of them. typically the cover extends from the far left edge of the upper diamond to the far right edge of the CCA Stamp. it's interesting how similar the cut is on most of those copies.

However, i checked all of the CGC copies in the listings and this one is the only one that i cannot confirm that there is an inner well. all of the others (and some have similar dark and angled photos instead of scans) have some portion of the well exposed.....not saying it's not there, just that i agree with Dice on this particular copy...and I realize that the label and CGC's records match in this instance...............

I don't know if it's common knowledge or not, but the new labels have added security on them so they can't be easily reproduced. I stumbled accross this with my black light one day - if you put a black light on the number grade the CGC watermark will be displayed diagonally many times. The old labels don't have that.