• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Elektra #3 "Nude Variant"

104 posts in this topic

You know, for a "rare" variant, there's sure a lot of them out there.

Plus, it's a "fake" variant, as Marvel stopped the print run and in a strange PR move, then sold these "rare" comics to their biggest customers.

I'd stay far away from this tripe, and let your friend sell it to some other sucker.

You know, for a "rare" variant, there's sure a lot of them out there.

Plus, it's a "fake" variant, as Marvel stopped the print run and in a strange PR move, then sold these "rare" comics to their biggest customers.

I'd stay far away from this tripe, and let your friend sell it to some other sucker.

If he's willing to take it to make up the value shortfall in a trade, what's the big deal? It's not like this book is the core of the trade. It sounds like it's just a throw-in to bring values in line with one another on both sides of the bargaining table.

The book itself is well past its peak value, which was probably eighteen months ago or so. It's still worth a few bucks and garners semi-regular interest from variant hunters, but the actual nudity itself is really nothing to write home about. All you can really see is that Elektra has no pubes.

The bottom line is that if he's happy with the rest of the trade and just wants the Elektra book to balance out the value, then don't call off the trade just because the Elektra #3 isn't that big of a deal. It currently sells for around $50 or $60 in CGC 9.6, although once in a while you see one sell for next to nothing on a slow ebay week.

I've heard that many went out as the "week-before Marvel LCS preview copies" and then Quesada had the order recalled but not before (500, 1000, 5000, 10,000 - I've heard differing stories from LCS and online dealers) copies made it out to retailers. Then well after the whole story about it being pulped was out there for a while, Dynamic Forces started selling their "own limited stash" of 2500 or 5000, I forget at this time.

The originals were in the preview batch. Some of the distribution was stopped, my orders were never shipped. I received the corrected version. Then after the uproar died down, they were offered to us at $10 a pop in lots of ?? I can't remember, maybe 100's. I dismissed it out of hand because I had seen the panel and it was a judgment call as to what you could or could not see. I think the fact it was not a mature title is the reason for the BS, as other comics of the time were much more explicit. As to them being rare, no way in h3ll are they rare, while some may have been destroyed, there has to be in excess of 25k out there still.

IMO, if you know someone over there, it'd cost them a couple of euros. It's a reprint, it's in German and it's 2 issues combined into a collected edition. It uses one of the splash pages in the first supergirl story arc issue as the cover. It depends on what you collect and how much you'd pay to own one of these. It is not an RRP. It is not a nude cover. It is not a Diamond REtailer Summit giveaway either.

It is a Panini reprint. Panini is the company in Europe that has the 'license' to reprint Top Cow (Witchblade, Darkness, Tomb Raider) material into collected editions. I have French, German, Spanish, Italian copies of Witchblade 1-8 etc all from this Panini company. Another issue that has come about is whether or not they have permission from Marvel or DC USA to reprint certain material in limted quantities, for instance: The "Fake" Museum editions of Ulitmate Spider-MAn 1 in four different languages, ltd to 199, 599, or 999 copies depending on the language, ditto for Ultimate X-men 1, etc - all of which Quesada had come out and denied the authenticity of these editions (in a Wizard article? or was it in Newsarama...google it tongue.gif ) ) I would think this is a neat S/B issue to own if you are a completist that collects foreign editions but current market value is what you are seeing it sell for on eBay. You can research the availability of these issue by contacting Panini or take the seller's word for it. If Jim (awe4one) was still in Germany, I'd have asked him to look into it for me and pick up a copy if it was common enough confused-smiley-013.gif

The guy at Mile High Comics thinks no more than 5000. That means based on probablility math they may never be more that 5 9.8 copies. That still isn't very many. So compared to a typical monthly print run how does this run compare. Don't most comics sell over a 100,000 issues a month.