• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

Check out the last two sales of AF 15:

CGC 3.0 = $7648

CGC 2.5 = $6500

This book is showing all the signs in the world that it is just gold.

I am glad I got my CGC 3.0 last month at the price I paid.

Oh yea add me to the freak in club! :devil:

For anyone keeping score, recently I've sold

2 x cgc 2.5 both at 6500

3 x cgc 3.0....2@ 7500 and an exceptional copy at 7995

1 x cgc 3.5 @ 8495

2 x cgc 4.0 @ 9500 and 9995

2 x cgc 4.5 at 10995&11995

2 x cgc 5.0 at 13995 and 14995

The book "is" solid

Those are great prices. You must be a good salesman.

A 3.0 for $7995???? Two 4.0s sold for less than that this year.

Actually I'm a horrible salesman per se. I do however price books relative to what I pay and try to buy visually appealing copies that warrant the price/value I place. I then make available and folks either buy or don't. No worries either way!

CGC 3.0 = $7648

CGC 2.5 = $6500

2 x cgc 2.5 both at 6500

1 x cgc 3.5 @ 8495

The book "is" solid

Actually I'm a horrible salesman per se. I do however price books relative to what I pay and try to buy visually appealing copies that warrant the price/value I place. I then make available and folks either buy or don't. No worries either way!

Af15 is DEFINITELY a book you cant just look at the gpa numbers no matter what the grade. A copy with nice eye appeal and no MC with sell for FAR more than another copy with MC in the same grade.

A boardie recently bought an AWESOME looking 2.5 he posted for me in a pm. It looked so amazing i immediately went onto gpa and looked up like every active AF15 for sale and showed him the scans of all the 2.5 to 4.5's currently up. The other 2.5 for sale looked like a pile of dogcrap compared to his and his 2.5 even blew away the 3.0, 3.5's and was comparable to the 4.0's. For THAT 2.5, i would have DESTROYED the gpa numbers.

I love GPA but it has its limits unless you know which specific books the data are for. And there also some screwy entries. For instance, I was just looking at AF 15 in 5.0. There was a sale in March at the low price of $9.000. The same book was sold again in May at the exact same price of $9,000.

The cert indicates it has OW PQ. Unless it has MC up the wazoo, $9,000 is a really low price for a 5.0 these days. And for the same book to sell for that same price twice in less than three months .... hm

CGC 3.0 = $7648

CGC 2.5 = $6500

2 x cgc 2.5 both at 6500

1 x cgc 3.5 @ 8495

The book "is" solid

Af15 is DEFINITELY a book you cant just look at the gpa numbers no matter what the grade. A copy with nice eye appeal and no MC with sell for FAR more than another copy with MC in the same grade.

A boardie recently bought an AWESOME looking 2.5 he posted for me in a pm. It looked so amazing i immediately went onto gpa and looked up like every active AF15 for sale and showed him the scans of all the 2.5 to 4.5's currently up. The other 2.5 for sale looked like a pile of dogcrap compared to his and his 2.5 even blew away the 3.0, 3.5's and was comparable to the 4.0's. For THAT 2.5, i would have DESTROYED the gpa numbers.

GPA definitely has its flaws. It is fairly clear that it underestimates the real market value of a book on average (particularly in low grades and super rare high grades).

Interesting point on the lower grade books that present well. If anything, this is a good reason to collect nice presenting low grade books as they represent an opportunity to increase disproportionately versus both their grade partners and higher grade books.

I love GPA but it has its limits unless you know which specific books the data are for. And there also some screwy entries. For instance, I was just looking at AF 15 in 5.0. There was a sale in March at the low price of $9.000. The same book was sold again in May at the exact same price of $9,000.

The cert indicates it has OW PQ. Unless it has MC up the wazoo, $9,000 is a really low price for a 5.0 these days. And for the same book to sell for that same price twice in less than three months .... hm

Screwy data points aside, they do represent real sales. I wonder what the 5.0 looked like...

Side note - quick flip sales on the same book can sometimes mean financial distress (i.e. had to sell early at a good value to move the book quickly).

[

You need to ask yourself a question. Is it more likely that one more person pay $60,000 for a 7.5 in the next few months or three people pay $6,750 for a 2.5?

I don't think this is a relevant question.

Given that there are 18 times more low grade copies of AF15 currently available on E-Bay than 7.5 copies, and the supply will always be far greater on low grade copies, the volume of sales for low grade copies will always be much higher than for 7.5 copies.

What does this tell you about future price appreciation? Not much. One obvious interpretation is that the massive supply of low grade copies relative to mid-to-high grade ones is likely to keep the price differential between the two groups large. Historical data back this up, as the appreciation on mid-to-high grade Marvel keys since the advent of CGC has outpaced that of low grade examples by a considerable degree. It looks like the low grades may be finally making up lost ground and catching up, but given their ready availability, for how long they will continue to rise markedly in price is anyone's guess.

[

You need to ask yourself a question. Is it more likely that one more person pay $60,000 for a 7.5 in the next few months or three people pay $6,750 for a 2.5?

I don't think this is a relevant question.

Given that there are 18 times more low grade copies of AF15 currently available on E-Bay than 7.5 copies, and the supply will always be far greater on low grade copies, the volume of sales for low grade copies will always be much higher than for 7.5 copies.

What does this tell you about future price appreciation? Not much. One obvious interpretation is that the massive supply of low grade copies relative to mid-to-high grade ones is likely to keep the price differential between the two groups large. Historical data back this up, as the appreciation on mid-to-high grade Marvel keys since the advent of CGC has outpaced that of low grade examples by a considerable degree. It looks like the low grades may be finally making up lost ground and catching up, but given their ready availability, for how long they will continue to rise markedly in price is anyone's guess.

You are really arguing that the supply of the low grade books outpaces the demand?

If that is really your point of view, I have strong concerns that you are in touch with the market for this book. There is not a "massive supply" of this book in any grade that is outpacing the demand. If that were true, the prices would go down. Supply and demand 101 - when supply "massively" outpaces demand pricing shrinks. :makepoint:

Secondly, provide data for your points. Your claim that "historical data" backs up your point of view is only valid if you provide it.

No offense, but your argument is full of prose and opinion and very little fact.

18 low grade copies currently on E-Bay constitutes an ample supply. As for how this supply will relate to demand going forward, nobody has a crystal ball and everything is speculation, but it's quite clear there are plenty of low grade AF15s on the market for a prospective buyer to choose from.

As for facts, historical price appreciations on low, mid, and high grade copies are highly relevant data. You can look these data up for yourself, if you haven't followed the market on Marvel keys since 2001. That mid and high grade copies have outpaced low grade ones has been pointed out by other posts in this thread in addition to mine.

You seem to expect everyone to agree with you, and if they don't you go for the put-down. Just accept that there are many opinions on these Boards, particularly when it comes to a topic that is primarily opinion-driven, like speculation on future price appreciation.

I wish we could get back to discussing comics, superheroes, art, and stories, and leave behind the 'investment' considerations. You want investments, buy stocks, bonds, commodities, and real estate. Not every thread need be turned into a debate about investment potential.

18 low grade copies currently on E-Bay constitutes an ample supply. As for how this supply will relate to demand going forward, nobody has a crystal ball and everything is speculation.

As for facts, historical price appreciations on low, mid, and high grade copies are highly relevant data. You can look these data up for yourself, if you haven't followed the market on Marvel keys since 2001.

You seem to expect everyone to agree with you, and if they don't you go for the put-down. Just accept that there are many opinions on these Boards, particularly when it comes to a topic that is primarily opinion-driven, like speculation on future price appreciation.

I wish we could get back to discussing comics, art, and stories, and leave behind the 'investment' considerations. You want investments, buy stocks, bonds, commodities, and real estate.

Give me a break. Your refusal to provide any evidence and push the responsibility of validating your arguments is laughable. Your statements are unfounded and your point of view invalid.

Don't get defensive because I call out the fact that you are pulling out of your butt and passing it off as fact.

If you don't like the discussions on the investment portion of comics then don't participate. I didn't drag you to your computer and force you to join the conversation. You want discussions only on art and stories, stick to those talks and threads.

18 low grade copies currently on E-Bay constitutes an ample supply. As for how this supply will relate to demand going forward, nobody has a crystal ball and everything is speculation.

As for facts, historical price appreciations on low, mid, and high grade copies are highly relevant data. You can look these data up for yourself, if you haven't followed the market on Marvel keys since 2001.

I wish we could get back to discussing comics, art, and stories, and leave behind the 'investment' considerations. You want investments, buy stocks, bonds, commodities, and real estate.

Give me a break. Your refusal to provide any evidence and push the responsibility of validating your arguments is laughable. Your statements are unfounded and your point of view invalid.

Don't get defensive because I call out the fact that you are pulling out of your butt and passing it off as fact.

If you don't like the discussions on the investment portion of comics then don't participate. I didn't drag you to your computer and force you to join the conversation. You want discussions only on art and stories, stick to those talks and threads.

The evidence of your obnoxiousness is mounting. Do you need to know where to turn for validation?

Sigh, I used my lunch break to provide the data that many in this thread already know the gist of, and have mentioned in their posts. Average sale prices for 12 month periods:

Grade... 2003........2008........last 12 months.......% 10 year appreciation

2.5....1356 (n=4)....3186 (n=8)....5055 (n=11)....272

4.0....2566 (n=7)....5151 (n=5)....8350 (n=12)....225

7.5....7530 (n=7)....41350 (n=2)....52820 (n=5)...601

So the data do indeed support the following statements made earlier:

1. Mid to high grade has outpaced low grade for price appreciation historically

2. Low grade has caught up for proportionate gains more recently

3. Future prices aren't on GPA, and so are nothing but a subject of speculation

The evidence of your obnoxiousness is mounting. Do you need to know where to turn for validation?

Come on. Like it or not, I have a point of view that is backed by data.

Other people on here are far more obnoxious with far less meaningful information.

Sigh, I used my lunch break to provide the data that many in this thread already know the gist of, and have mentioned in their posts. Average sale prices for 12 month periods:

Grade... 2003........2008........last 12 months.......% 10 year appreciation

2.5....1356 (n=4)....3186 (n=8)....5055 (n=11)....272

4.0....2566 (n=7)....5151 (n=5)....8350 (n=12)....225

7.5....7530 (n=7)....41350 (n=2)....52820 (n=5)...601

So the data do indeed support the following statements made earlier:

1. Mid to high grade has outpaced low grade for price appreciation historically

2. Low grade has caught up for proportionate gains more recently

3. Future prices aren't on GPA, and so are nothing but a subject of speculation

Thank you. Pricing trends appear to be different if you isolate from 2008 on (or even more recently as my argument was presented) but the point is valid.

To your point, future pricing is always speculation.

Can't we all just get along.

It's clear to me that

a) AF15's are desireable

b) AF15's trade with frequency

c) AF15's go up in value

d) Rick sells alot of AF15 and claims to know nothing about selling

e) Spiderman and Butthurt appear in the same sentence an awful lot.

Quad Erat Demonstratum.

Can't we all just get along.

It's clear to me that

a) AF15's are desireable

b) AF15's trade with frequency

c) AF15's go up in value

d) Rick sells alot of AF15 and claims to know nothing about selling

e) Spiderman and Butthurt appear in the same sentence an awful lot.

Quad Erat Demonstratum.

Quod erat faciendum

Come on. Like it or not, I have a point of view that is backed by data.

Other people on here are far more obnoxious with far less meaningful information.

:think:

Well, I guess a little conflict in the Club isn't necessarily a bad thing.