• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

I just got a very gracious $6000 Bonus at work. Im on the fence for a low grade AF15, BB28, or something equivalent....

what are opinions on a decent grade per the price range of 5000? Is this the best silver investment ?????

My opinion and never spent any bonus check on one item.

Put some in the bank and take 1K of that money and start a AF 15 fund.

I would buy a book that is a bonafide first class key.

and secondly one that is set to become very popular. And not one that already had all the help in the world from movies to grow.

therefore I would not buy an af15. I do think it is likely to keep increasing steadily and slowly in price. However it is perhaps the book that benefitted the most from the movies. Before the movies came out this was not the most expensive silver age comic but now it is. I would pick a comic that is now in the situation af15 was back then.

I would buy a book that is a bonafide first class key.

and secondly one that is set to become very popular. And not one that already had all the help in the world from movies to grow.

therefore I would not buy an af15. I do think it is likely to keep increasing steadily and slowly in price.

Haven't all the top first class key's been somewhat successful movie franchises over the years?

Especially in regards to all the top 10 Silver Age books.

Brave and the Bold #28 is the only book I'm seeing in that list that hasn't been a movie yet.

Right now in the 5k price range you really can't go wrong with any of the top silver key's imo...

I'd say

Brave and Bold #28, -warner brothers movie in the works, fairly unopular still. word is just starting to spread about record cgc sale.

X-men #1 and #4, - unpopular right now but Days of Future Past actually looks to be a brilliant thought provoking movie, which we desperately need in the comic world right now. Scarlet witch in Avengers 2...

Fantastic Four #1 - the book that started it all, despite being on a current downtrend in pop culture (sort of like x-men), this book can ride with the peaks and valleys of popular trends fairly well, and weather just about any storm. Lots of potential here when the films get a reboot.

Avengers #4- first silver age appearance of Cap, big book starting to heat up as cap's international appeal is starting to grow at last. Winter Solider is looking to be a solid movie that should generate a bit more buzz than the first cap film.

Tales of Suspense #39 -first Iron Man, in the same suit portrayed in the film that started the whole Avengers phenomenon. Avengers are the new X-men but will it last? X-men held the reigns for almost 30 years as the worlds most popular superhero team, and within just a few years, Avengers have risen.

are all excellent buys right now in mid grade in your price range. (cgc 5.5+)

Hulk #1 - rare book, tough to find a high grade copy. There is a slight hulk craze right now due to avengers so the price is absurdly high but its likely never going to dip much and almost always go up.

Amazing Fantasy #15 - maybe not as rare as Hulk 1 but supply will always be smaller than demand.

might be slightly higher than 6k for a decent slabbed copy but they are worth it.. you can't go wrong really.

of those, Brave and the Bold #28 or Amazing Fantasy #15 are what I'd pick. followed by X-men #1.

Great thread guys! I'll be in the club soon!

Me too. but in terms of price jumps, doesnt BB28 have a greater return at this point since AF15 will see marginal price increases?

Bb28 has more than doubled price in past 6-9 months. It has had an "explosion ". My guess is af15 will provide better long term stability even if bb28 has another big bump short term

Me too. but in terms of price jumps, doesnt BB28 have a greater return at this point since AF15 will see marginal price increases?

Currently, the large gains on BB28 has already been materialized. Gains are much more limited now.. BB28 was stagnant in 2009-2011.

If your lucky, you might be able to get a 2.0; but more likely it would cost you closer to 6k. For 5k, your looking at a 1.8 or 1.5 blue label. If you want to get a restored, you could go much higher.

Back in limited action after being out of the comic-book game for the past couple of years (life, relocation etc).

Picked up two AF15s in 3.5 and 4.0 as well as a coverless copy back in 2011 and stashed them away. (Though in hindsight I should have dumped all the cash into getting the highest grade possible).

The movie came and while it wasn't a slam-dunk hit like the Avengers, prices kept creeping up.

Let's just say that $5k could have gotten you a 3.5 or even 4.0 blue label back then. And someone recently listed a coverless copy on the board for $1.5k-ish? I picked one signed by Stan Lee for $500 back then! Should have picked more up. :) Looking back through the years...I always putting off AF15 thinking it was too pricey.

This is THE Silver Age key and the only book to own if you could buy only one.

@solarcadet: buy the best grade you can on $6k. I'd look out for eye appeal in low grades as it helps net a higher value. The top priority is to find a copy that doesn't have Marvel Chipping and has a cover that presents well. PQ at least off-white (IMHO).

Subscribe to GPAnalysis so you know how to price your bids appropriately. Seriously. The $10 investment saved me heaps when I bid under then-GPA for the AF15s.

And bite the bullet before you get priced out completely!

Currently, the large gains on BB28 has already been materialized. Gains are much more limited now.. BB28 was stagnant in 2009-2011.

Let's be fair.

Before the Spider-man movies AF15 was not the most expensive Silver age book. Now it is. BB28 has not had the help from movies that AF15 has. I know a lot of people have a lot (really a lot) of money invested in AF15 and really need the demand to stay high. Therefore any talk of any book out-pacing it will be seen as blasphemy.

But in 2013 BB28 has gained significantly more in value than AF15, and the trailer hasn't even been shown yet.

I own both books, and love both, but I think some of you guys are being a little unfair to the BB28. But on the other hand - what do you expect in a "Amazing Fantasy #15 Club" thread :foryou:

Let's be fair.

Before the Spider-man movies AF15 was not the most expensive Silver age book. Now it is. BB28 has not had the help from movies that AF15 has. I know a lot of people have a lot (really a lot) of money invested in AF15 and really need the demand to stay high. Therefore any talk of any book out-pacing it will be seen as blasphemy.

But in 2013 BB28 has gained significantly more in value than AF15, and the trailer hasn't even been shown yet.

I own both books, and love both, but I think some of you guys are being a little unfair to the BB28. But on the other hand - what do you expect in a "Amazing Fantasy #15 Club" thread :foryou:

I think the real difference is that AF 15 represents a true first appearance of a truly historic character, whereas BB28 is just the first gathering of a super team in the silver age, and neither Batman or Superman were even in it yet, it was basically just a collection of DC's second tier characters (at the time). It really just isn't as important of a book in context. **My disclaimer** I overpaid horrendously for both of mine so I hope they both explode in value. :frustrated:

-J.

Let's be fair.

Good to know you are cover on both books. :foryou: Yeah, it’s a AF15 club. I see your point about a potential Justice League movie. It is no doubt planned and in the early stages of development. The tremendous run-up for BB28 the last year is not sustainable in the short term and cause for a pause. The large gains are already factored in the prices of BB28 in the time being. Now, when the movie is released, we should see another leg up. Showcase 22 had a pre-movie jump in 2009 similar to BB28. During that time SC22 had a similar run-up and the gains were not stainable. Once the movie was released and was a big disappointment, SC22 pulled back to early movie hysteria. For a matter of fact, SC22 lost almost 50% of the pre-movie run-up gains. SC22 is beginning to movie up again along with other top three DC SA keys. In the long term, AF15 will trump any SA keys.

Let's be fair.

I think the real difference is that AF 15 represents a true first appearance of a truly historic character, whereas BB28 is just the first gathering of a super team in the silver age, and neither Batman or Superman were even in it yet, it was basically just a collection of DC's second tier characters (at the time). It really just isn't as important of a book in context. **My disclaimer** I overpaid horrendously for both of mine so I hope they both explode in value. :frustrated:

Your AF15 6.0 looks much better than the grade assigned and no chips...you didn't over paid. :baiting:

Let's be fair.

Your AF15 6.0 looks much better than the grade assigned and no chips...you didn't over paid. :baiting:

Thank you kindly for the reassurance SC22gr1959, that's what I tell myself to make it through some nights lol. I do love my copy but I can't lie, I would love it just a little more if it was in a suh-weeeeet 7.5 slab like yours. (worship)

-J.

But of course. AF15 is imo. the third most important and desirable book in our hobby. But BB28 definitely also deserves some love as a hugely desirable major key.

There are plenty of major keys worth picking up. Yet sadly most of us don't have unlimited funds.

We already know the usual suspects. But I reckon we could roughly look at the major keys in terms of two tiers. A1 and A2. There are plenty of other 'keys' such as first appearance of Ant Man etc but might be B-level?

Here's a stab at it. Feel free to chip in or make changes.

Marvel A1

AF15

Hulk 1

FF1

ToS 39

JIM 83

X-Men 1

Marvel A2

ASM 1

Avengers 1

Avengers 4

DD1 (could be A1)

FF5

TTA 27

TTA110

JiM 85

DC A1

Showcase 4

Showcase 22

DC A2

BB28

Showcase 8

But of course. AF15 is imo. the third most important and desirable book in our hobby. But BB28 definitely also deserves some love as a hugely desirable major key.

There are plenty of major keys worth picking up. Yet sadly most of us don't have unlimited funds.

We already know the usual suspects. But I reckon we could roughly look at the major keys in terms of two tiers. A1 and A2. There are plenty of other 'keys' such as first appearance of Ant Man etc but might be B-level?

Here's a stab at it. Feel free to chip in or make changes.

Marvel A1

AF15

Hulk 1

FF1

ToS 39

JIM 89

X-Men 1

Marvel A2

ASM 1

Avengers 1

Avengers 4

DD1 (could be A1)