• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

since I am going to be an active bidder on this one, need to keep my "thoughts" close to the vest so as not to reveal my bidding plan...

but I hope I have a fairly "good" idea of ending price range :foryou:

Gotcha.

Although, there never really is a bargain AF15 once you WIN the auction and think about the SP (Selling Price) !! (shrug)

Actually I think there can be a bargain since AF15 will be rising dramatically over the course of time.

only way a key comic like this rises if interest rises because there are plenty to go around. Hulk 181 isn't probably the best example to use but it's still a very very popular book and we see more and more hg coming to the market which has dropped the value say 35% on a 9.8

Actually I think there can be a bargain since AF15 will be rising dramatically over the course of time.

Once you're handing over the funds, and it's probably $10k or better for any nicer-graded AF15, you can't help but think, "Damn, this is a lot of moo-lah...and I THINK I'm getting a bargain...?"

:blahblah:

not past 50k, and I suspect it will end up past 50K

I agree. Very slim chance that this copy will end under 50K. If it was auction middle of February, it would have sold under 50K.

Once you're handing over the funds, and it's probably $10k or better for any nicer-graded AF15, you can't help but think, "Damn, this is a lot of moo-lah...and I THINK I'm getting a bargain...?"

:blahblah:

First, the excitement of winning. Secondly, the thought "what...I just spent $10+". Next, I can't wait to have in my possession. Finally, time to show the goods. :blahblah:

the shock of spending occurred in these increments: $100/400/1000/3000/4000/10k/17k

At each price point I thought I was spending a lot. But I believe anybody buying current af15s at current fmv will no longer lose money relative to the 2008 explosion

the simple truth is that anyone that spends $1K or 10K or 50K or 100K or whatever on a comic, has to have in their mind the thought of "this comic is a tangible asset (ie investment)"

even folks with disposable income to "blow" on a 50k comic, still have those thoughts...

part of me longs for the old days when comics value was more a combination of an individual's appreciation and excitement about owning a book, vs the "if I sell it, will I at least break even" mentality

Almost all the high flying Silver Age comics has risen and well appreciated the last ten years and we are in a consolidating phase. I sense sometime the next 5-10 years, we will see another leg up. Some books will appreciate faster and some may be stagnant, so anyone who has the extra disposable income to invest start now. Nonetheless, it's best to collect what you enjoy, do your homework, and how much risk one can take. (thumbs u

the simple truth is that anyone that spends $1K or 10K or 50K or 100K or whatever on a comic, has to have in their mind the thought of "this comic is a tangible asset (ie investment)"

even folks with disposable income to "blow" on a 50k comic, still have those thoughts...

part of me longs for the old days when comics value was more a combination of an individual's appreciation and excitement about owning a book, vs the "if I sell it, will I at least break even" mentality

Guilty as charged.

Almost all the high flying Silver Age comics has risen and well appreciated the last ten years and we are in a consolidating phase. I sense sometime the next 5-10 years, we will see another leg up. Some books will appreciate faster and some may be stagnant, so anyone who has the extra disposable income to invest start now. Nonetheless, it's best to collect what you enjoy, do your homework, and how much risk one can take. (thumbs u

Good analogy Rich.

No doubt the future for both collecting for fun and for value is bright... but I would expect anything other than normal rate of growth (thumbs u

only way a key comic like this rises if interest rises because there are plenty to go around. Hulk 181 isn't probably the best example to use but it's still a very very popular book and we see more and more hg coming to the market which has dropped the value say 35% on a 9.8

I'm completely missing your point...there just are not enough AF15s to meet the demand.

I'm completely missing your point...there just are not enough AF15s to meet the demand.

I hear this alot...but it primarily depends on the grade you're seeking. Currently there are beaucoups of 2-4s on ebay and other auction houses. Always plenty of them....maybe priced a little high, but they are available...always.

There are definitely S & D (Supply & Demand) issues with 6s and better...esp 8s and better.

Always fun to see a new nice one pop up...keeps the knuckles loose ! :preach:

I hear this alot...but it primarily depends on the grade you're seeking. Currently there are beaucoups of 2-4s on ebay and other auction houses. Always plenty of them....maybe priced a little high, but they are available...always.

There are definitely S & D (Supply & Demand) issues with 6s and better...esp 8s and better.

Always fun to see a new nice one pop up...keeps the knuckles loose ! :preach:

indeed.... plenty of supply to meet demand, especially in the lower grade ranges...

but, if you want a 8.0, I can get you one ( will cost a bundle)... or even a 9.0, or a 7.0 etc... there is ample supply across most all grades 8.0 down, and if you really want to spend big bucks, even 8.5's and 9.0's can be had