• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

" 7" corner crease bottom front cover (NCB)"

I could almost swear that I could see it in the scan starting on the right edge at the level of Spidey's left knee (it's his right knee from our perspective), angling down at about 30-degrees, going through his upper-left calf, and continuing on through his right heel. But if you can see it in the scan, it seems like it'd have to be color-breaking, so it could just be a scanner artifact...or perhaps it actually is a bit of light reflected off of the angle created by the NCB crease...or maybe I just have an overly-vivid imagination. (shrug):insane:

AmazingFantasy15FN-VF.jpg

the color breaking crease is there as you mentioned. GaTor 6.5 copy has a similar crease.

I agree that it appears to break color in the lightest possible way, a defect I've seen multiple times, and if it does, pressing won't fix it. Seems a bit of a miscommunication for them to describe it as a NCB in the grader's notes if that crease faintly breaks color.

the color breaking crease is there as you mentioned. GaTor 6.5 copy has a similar crease.

I agree that it appears to break color in the lightest possible way, a defect I've seen multiple times, and if it does, pressing won't fix it. Seems a bit of a miscommunication for them to describe it as a NCB in the grader's notes if that crease faintly breaks color.

I should have the book in hand sometime today. I'll see if I can see that crease through the case once I get it.

yep, but creases that light, color breaking or not, generally don't take away from the eye appeal of the book ...sure, maybe the technical grade, but not the eye appeal!

I had no intention of buying etanick's copy, I was trying to broker for a friend, but when I really looked at the book, and not the number, I was like "really attractive copy" (thumbs u

here is a perfect example of a similar crease on a 6.5....from the bottom left hand all the way to the edge of the page...barely visible but no pressing will improve that.

af15d.jpg

here is a perfect example of a similar crease on a 6.5....from the bottom left hand all the way to the edge of the page...barely visible but no pressing will improve that.

af15d.jpg

If anyone look carefully on the left corner and move one inch right (and one inch under the bad dudes hand) on the edge. I see a light visible crease that stretches from left to right that passed the yellow box and spidey's left feet. Anyone see this? I have this similar light 3" crease on my SC22 6.0 white pager.

yep, and that little crease kept an otherwise 8.0 looking book, from being a technical 8.0...

I was having trouble seeing the long crease on mine, but when I zoomed in at 150-200% I was able to more clearly see it. (thumbs u

I think I'll still probably end up sending it to Joey to see what he thinks about it - whether any of the creases could be pressed out or not.

yep, and that little crease kept an otherwise 8.0 looking book, from being a technical 8.0...

I was having trouble seeing the long crease on mine, but when I zoomed in at 150-200% I was able to more clearly see it. (thumbs u

I think I'll still probably end up sending it to Joey to see what he thinks about it - whether any of the creases could be pressed out or not.

I'd leave it be. It's a gorgeous book and I would not put any additional stress on it. It's been through enough thus far and needs it's new Dad's TLC !

:D

I'd leave it be. It's a gorgeous book and I would not put any additional stress on it. It's been through enough thus far and needs it's new Dad's TLC !

:D

Gorgeous book indeed! There sure has been a lot of new AF dads lately and let's enjoy every moment of it. I sure am enjoying it! :luhv:

just depends on the price...at the current 28K, it is a bargain, but reserve is not met... I believe this copy recently sold for about 58K (a huge drop from when it sold for almost 80K before)...

I think you are referring to the Mound City copy right? The MC copy is better than this copy, and went for a high price and peak price (possbile pressing candidate by a flipper hm ). As Brannon stated "this copy with a PQ nothing to brag about. "

nope, I mean this exact copy being offered in the Quality auction recently was purchased for approx 58K, and previous to that, I believe it sold for approx 80K (a huge 22K devaluation from purchase in 2008 to purchase in 2009)

The CGC 8.0 copy with chipping and cr/ow pages actually sold at Heritage for $52K. Do you know where it sold for $80K at previously? There are no sales in GPA at all for that high a price for an 8.0.

pretty sure it was a comiclink sale... I knew it was in the 50's at heritage (just too lazy to look up exact amount, hence why I put "approx")... but 2 years ago on clink, it reportedly sold for 80K (I saved the scan, same book, and again, going from memory, it was clink)...

That corrects. I remember that sale at C Link

just depends on the price...at the current 28K, it is a bargain, but reserve is not met... I believe this copy recently sold for about 58K (a huge drop from when it sold for almost 80K before)...

I think you are referring to the Mound City copy right? The MC copy is better than this copy, and went for a high price and peak price (possbile pressing candidate by a flipper hm ). As Brannon stated "this copy with a PQ nothing to brag about. "

nope, I mean this exact copy being offered in the Quality auction recently was purchased for approx 58K, and previous to that, I believe it sold for approx 80K (a huge 22K devaluation from purchase in 2008 to purchase in 2009)

The CGC 8.0 copy with chipping and cr/ow pages actually sold at Heritage for $52K. Do you know where it sold for $80K at previously? There are no sales in GPA at all for that high a price for an 8.0.

pretty sure it was a comiclink sale... I knew it was in the 50's at heritage (just too lazy to look up exact amount, hence why I put "approx")... but 2 years ago on clink, it reportedly sold for 80K (I saved the scan, same book, and again, going from memory, it was clink)...

:applause:

:applause:

Mystery solved. :applause:

You'd think Josh would highlight the highest price ever for an 8.0 in his auction highlights pages on his site, but I couldn't find that one in there...he may have just overlooked it. Here's a link to his past auction highlights pages, they're fun to browse through:

http://www.comiclink.com/service_text.asp?2

I am considering the thought of perhaps purchasing a restored high grade AF 15 with the following features:

(i) very slight PLOD: just a few dots of CT + a little glue or something else along these lines. I want it to be very minor. No trimming, reglossing or pieces added.

(ii) I would prefer high grade: 8.0-9.0 ballpark

My questions:

(i) Is a book like that readily available or how difficult are books like these to locate? I saw that there a multiple PLODs sitting on C-Link. (But they are low grade, moderate restored + trimmed = dont like). I have looked around a little (not much) and I have so far not managed to find a matching copy.

(ii) How much dough would one need to shell out in terms of FMV on a book with the above features? I mean a reasonable ballpark price .... (shrug) It appears even AF 15 has taken a hit in the market these days so my ballpark estimate would be around 5-6K? Perhaps a little more ...

I have a gut feeling a book like that could turn out to be a wise buy. But then again: would a PLOD like that be on the rise?

All chiming in will be appreciated !!

I am guessing you don't have GPA because most of what you need regarding prices are there.

a 8.0 PLOD is $3k to $4k

a 9.0 PLOD is $3k to $7k

there are 19 PLOD for 8.0

there are 14 PLOD for 9.0

the value for PLOD swing wildly from slight restoration to extensive so expect to pay top of the range if you want something that doesn't include TRIMMING.