• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Buck Rogers
1 1

79 posts in this topic

I think that you need this one. A 7.0 #1.

Sometime, strike a pose like Buck has on this cover and see if you don't feel a little "silly".

buckrogers1front.jpg

This one would round off the run - please advise if, and when, you desire to part with it. (thumbs u

It is so sad, but the pose on the cover looks just like I dance.

Let me get these out there before Theagenes shows me up :)

005-5.jpg

001-4.jpg

004-6.jpg

002-8.jpg

003-5.jpg

008-3.jpg

003-3.jpg

Sweet books! I see you got the got Crippen No. 6 from Metro and the two 8.0s off ebay that have been tempting me for about a year now. :applause:

It's great to see another Buck Rogers collector - they are few and far between nowadays. The Buck Rogers newspaper strip was far more influential than many collectors today realize. Not only does it tie with Tarzan as the first non-funny adventure strip (January 1929), but it was also the first time the general public was exposed to the new genre of Gernsback-style science fiction. For many years a synonym for "science fiction" was "that Buck Rogers stuff."

The character has sadly slipped out of the pop culture arena since the 1979 T.V. show (which I loved as a kid!). I would love to see a modern take on Buck Rogers that is closer to Philip Nowlan's original stories, but after seeing what the SF channel did to Flash Gordon last year, maybe it's not a good idea.

Jeff

Nice books, Josh.

Those early B.R. are hard to find with nice paper, hence I don't own any... :sorry:

I mentioned it in the white cover thread, but no. 6 in particular has really bad paper along with a number of other production issues that make it very difficult to find in anything but low grade. Almost every cover I ever seen has some tanning. It also only has one staple and several "half wraps" - partial wraps that are glued to a full wrap, which gives it an odd page count that is not a multiple of eight. The first copy I bought, I thought it was missing pages and restored with glue. :) All of these issues were of course related to the metal and paper shortages from the war.

Steve, did you ever find a high grade Kelloggs premium?

Sometime, strike a pose like Buck has on this cover and see if you don't feel a little "silly".

buckrogers1front.jpg

:takeit: Sweet copy!

Calkins art is definetly crude and his anatomy awkward, but to me that's part of the charm of his style. It has such an early pre-Golden Age feel to it.

buckrogers1front.jpg

:takeit: Sweet copy!

Calkins art is definetly crude and his anatomy awkward, but to me that's part of the charm of his style. It has such an early pre-Golden Age feel to it.

Calkins art is what definitiely drew me to this particular run. I just love the Eastern Color issues. Thanks for the clarification regarding paper issues. I was always wondering why I could never find these books with better pq. Even the 8.0's I snagged off of ebay have tanning.

Buck Rogers first appeared in the August 1928 issue of Amazing Stories in a short story, "Armageddon 2419" by Philip Nowlan. Here he does not have the nickname "Buck" yet - he is just Anthony (or Tony) Rogers. Although the story does feature antigravity "jumping belts" the cover does not depict the Buck Rogers story, but Doc Smith's "Skylark of Space" another very important early sf work.

AmazingStories1928-08fcsm.jpg

Here are some interior shots, with some illustrations by Frank R. Paul.

Armageddon2419_01.jpg

Armageddon2419_02.jpg

Armageddon2419_03.jpgArmageddon2419_04.jpg

Armageddon2419_05.jpg

It's great to see another Buck Rogers collector - they are few and far between nowadays. The Buck Rogers newspaper strip was far more influential than many collectors today realize. Not only does it tie with Tarzan as the first non-funny adventure strip (January 1929), but it was also the first time the general public was exposed to the new genre of Gernsback-style science fiction. For many years a synonym for "science fiction" was "that Buck Rogers stuff."

Jeff

Jeff,

I have the over-sized reprint book of the Buck Rogers strips and can't say that I particularly appreciate the Calkins art in it ...

Hermes Press is soliciting in the new Previews their own reprint line of the complete (well, we'll see if the project is a success ...) strip. My question to you: is this worth picking up? :popcorn:

It is so sad, but the pose on the cover looks just like I dance.
If that is the dance you do after every new comic acquisition then you are definitely getting a lot of practice perfecting that pose!

I did - it's a low grade copy (split cover), but I got it dirt cheap. It's a fun little book.

BuckRogersFront.jpg

With the high quality, glossy bond used for the Kelloggs premium (1933), paper quality is never an issue.

Here's the illustration from pg 13:

BuckRogers13.jpg

BTW, here's a back cover shot of the original (again, 1933) giveaway. On more than one occasion I've seen the recent reprint being peddled as an original - the reprint does not have the Kelloggs ad on the back cover.

BuckRogersBack.jpg

I did - it's a low grade copy (split cover), but I got it dirt cheap. It's a fun little book.

BuckRogersFront.jpg

There were reprints made of that premium weren't there. Is there a map too?

bb