Show us your personal artwork
21 21

4,647 posts in this topic

On 11/1/2020 at 4:25 PM, the blob said:

I am using water colors, but on some I am laying it on thick with tube paint rather than from dry palette, so it looks more like acrylics or oils. On the last few (not the Goon inspired ones) I had been sketching the oval face divided into thirds to make sure my eyes were less off kilter and to get the mouth and nose in the right place, but that last one was done all free hand with the brush. An eye is off kilter, but I'm not sure it detracts on that one. I've stopped using a photo reference. Another 10 or 15 and I might actually do a good one. I'm making progress. Anyway, I watch a couple of hours of TV a night with my wife (it is a couple of hours where she isn't yelling at me!), so it keeps me busy painting rather than just vegging out watching TV. Face "portraits" is not something I have done much of. I did a couple of self portraits, painted a few models in studio classes, so this is a change of pace. I have an idea of what I want to do with them, but I need a bunch more. I did one more last night while falling asleep 20 minutes into "Helstrom" (not blaming the show, I drank a fair amount of wine while handing candy out last night...)... side by side with some art by a "real" artist up on my wall

joker.jpg

You are essentially drawing with watercolors-it might be better to use markers.  Water color medium is best for washes and what not 

Edited by kav

I don't have markers. I'm using what i have. I have water colors, oils (water based and regular ones), and oil pastels. I'm not using the oil based stuff because of the odor and mess as I am doing this in my living room on a dinner tray table that is not even 16 x 20. I know these thick ones are not the way water color "should" be done, I am painting more like acrylics or oil, but what is "should?" The line ones that are not laid on thick are more like ink drawings, true, but here's a water color by George Pratt (yes, most of his look more like "real" water colors, like the civil war soldier pictured)..

Sudan+Kartoom+1940+Watercolor.jpg

Civil+War+2+Watercolor.jpg

On 11/1/2020 at 4:59 PM, the blob said:

I don't have markers. I'm using what i have. I have water colors, oils (water based and regular ones), and oil pastels. I'm not using the oil based stuff because of the odor and mess as I am doing this in my living room on a dinner tray table that is not even 16 x 20. I know these thick ones are not the way water color "should" be done, I am painting more like acrylics or oil, but what is "should?" The line ones that are not laid on thick are more like ink drawings, true, but here's a water color by George Pratt (yes, most of his look more like "real" water colors, like the civil war soldier pictured)..

Civil+War+2+Watercolor.jpg

Mike, is that you? @comicdonna

If I was seeing a therapist, this is probably something that should be discussed. With that said, only maybe 2 of them give off the vibe of any joker version I have seen in comics. The first few used Joaquin Phoenix as a very general inspiration, but that was it. Ronald McDonald walking dead zombies maybe.

Edited by the blob
On 11/3/2020 at 10:26 AM, the blob said:

One day I would like to be able to do a WC that approaches something like that

You can.  Its no different than learning how to work on cars.  You just need to learn the techniques.  Youtube videos are your best bet.

11 hours ago, Complex306 said:

Last 2 are pretty decent, definitely getting better. I'm a professional counselor btw, and yes, definitely something your fictional therapist would be interested in discussing lol.

Just going through a phase. Here's another happy guy.

20201105_142322.jpg

1 hour ago, Complex306 said:

"Adventures in Learning How to Use Paint Pens" number 5. Or 6. Definitely less than 7. I think.

20201106_204323.jpg

use this van gogh technique on the figure, background and sun too.

Screenshot 2020-11-06 at 6.59.59 PM.png

2 hours ago, kav said:

use this van gogh technique on the figure, background and sun too.

Screenshot 2020-11-06 at 6.59.59 PM.png

I had thought about that, but I think I'm in "if I change anything else I'm probably going to mess it up real bad" territory. I might do a new one and try that though. I did the water last, didn't really have a plan for it and just kinda winged it.

8 minutes ago, Complex306 said:

I could definitely use your opinion on this one though. I was gonna do purple clouds below him, with a pink background behind and white lightning, but I'm not sure. Thoughts?

20201107_001855.jpg

do pink and purple van gogh effect.  some yellow.