• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just got royally screwed by Silver Acre Comics!

226 posts in this topic

I posted this in the Golden Age forum this morning, and several people have suggested that I should really cross-post it in Comics General, so more board members can become aware of the business practices of Silver Acre Comics, out of Chester, England...

As many of you know, I've been on a selling rampage the last few weeks, raising money to acquire my grail, Batman #1. I have literally wanted a copy since I was a little kid, sitting on my bedroom floor trading 25-centers with my friends Ty & Stan.

With my war chest in my back pocket, I went searching for an attractive copy, and found one on the silveracre.com website. On Monday of this week, Darryl at silveracre and I negotiated a price for his CGC 6.0 mod(p) copy, signed by Bob Kane on the back cover. We agreed that I would wire him the money either Friday(today) or Monday of next week, depending on when one final check cleared into my bank account. He gave me all the bank information and routing info that I would need. We also agreed that he would send the book to CGC on its way to me(the holder is cracked and scuffed up), and I faxed him the CGC paperwork to include in the box. I also called CGC for their street address, as Darryl was going to be shipping the book Fed Ex.

Yesterday morning, I checked with my bank, and the last check had cleared, so I emailed Darryl to let him know that I'd be wiring the money a day early. His assistant, Daniel, emailed me back and said that Darryl was out of the office, and asked me to wait a day to wire the money, as he wasn't sure the routing number that Darryl had given me was correct(apparently, another customer buying a different item was having trouble wiring payment successfully). I said no problem, and asked him to have Darryl email the correct routing number, and I'd send the money today.

This morning, I awoke to find this email from Darryl waiting for me:

Dear Jeff, Sorry i am going to have to let you down on the sale of the bat 1, the book sold yesterday to a regular customer at full asking price, i hope you understand there was too much price difference to hold out, sorry for wasting your time.

Regards anyway Darryl

Now, from my perspective, the book was off the market the moment we agreed on a mutually acceptable price last Monday. This wasn't a book I was buying to flip in 6 months, this was a keeper that I've wanted for 35 years!

I think silveracre has acted in a highly unethical manner, and he's certainly lost this customer for life. I have a humble little website, but I would NEVER treat a customer like this.

What a total spoon. :frustrated:

I feel for you man. I had a similar experience with a local seller but nowhere near the extent of what you're talking about (a Batman #1).

About 4 to 5 years ago a local guy had an ad in the paper selling comics. So I called and agreed to meet him after work one night. I was rather elated when I got there because he had 4 of the first 6 Hulks, a Hulk #181 and a number of other old comics that I was happy to take off of his hands. We agreed on a sum and I told him I'd be back that Friday to pay him for the comics since I didn't have that amount available at the time.

So what does the SOB do? Turns around and calls me a couple of days later telling me "Sorry, but I got more money out of another buyer and sold the comics to him instead. Sorry, but I have to pay rent." What an individual_without_enough_empathy. I would never do that to a buyer no matter HOW much more I was offered. Totally unethical in my book and the same for your seller. Time to boycott Silver Acre Comics!

Mike

I posted this in the Golden Age forum this morning, and several people have suggested that I should really cross-post it in Comics General, so more board members can become aware of the business practices of Silver Acre Comics, out of Chester, England...

As many of you know, I've been on a selling rampage the last few weeks, raising money to acquire my grail, Batman #1. I have literally wanted a copy since I was a little kid, sitting on my bedroom floor trading 25-centers with my friends Ty & Stan.

With my war chest in my back pocket, I went searching for an attractive copy, and found one on the silveracre.com website. On Monday of this week, Darryl at silveracre and I negotiated a price for his CGC 6.0 mod(p) copy, signed by Bob Kane on the back cover. We agreed that I would wire him the money either Friday(today) or Monday of next week, depending on when one final check cleared into my bank account. He gave me all the bank information and routing info that I would need. We also agreed that he would send the book to CGC on its way to me(the holder is cracked and scuffed up), and I faxed him the CGC paperwork to include in the box. I also called CGC for their street address, as Darryl was going to be shipping the book Fed Ex.

Yesterday morning, I checked with my bank, and the last check had cleared, so I emailed Darryl to let him know that I'd be wiring the money a day early. His assistant, Daniel, emailed me back and said that Darryl was out of the office, and asked me to wait a day to wire the money, as he wasn't sure the routing number that Darryl had given me was correct(apparently, another customer buying a different item was having trouble wiring payment successfully). I said no problem, and asked him to have Darryl email the correct routing number, and I'd send the money today.

This morning, I awoke to find this email from Darryl waiting for me:

Dear Jeff, Sorry i am going to have to let you down on the sale of the bat 1, the book sold yesterday to a regular customer at full asking price, i hope you understand there was too much price difference to hold out, sorry for wasting your time.

Regards anyway Darryl

Now, from my perspective, the book was off the market the moment we agreed on a mutually acceptable price last Monday. This wasn't a book I was buying to flip in 6 months, this was a keeper that I've wanted for 35 years!

I think silveracre has acted in a highly unethical manner, and he's certainly lost this customer for life. I have a humble little website, but I would NEVER treat a customer like this.

What a total spoon. :frustrated:

That certainly leaves a foul taste in the mouth!

Can't stand it when unscrupulous people pull that . I too had it happen.

Seller completely agrees to the deal. I say I'll travel to make the exchange when my GF gets home from work. He calls a few hours later... uh, sorry, someone else already paid more.

Duh.. Yeah, the reality is it probably went something like this...

Buyer 1: I'll give you 5% of the value of that spoon to take it off your hands.

Seller.. uh... er, but that seems kind of low, I think they're worth more.

Buyer 1: TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT. I'm doing you a favor.

Seller. Well, let me think about it (I hope I get another offer).

Buyer 1: IT'S EITHER NOW OR NEVER -- other line rings

Seller picks up.

Me: Here's my offer, is it fair?

Seller.. Yes, very fair. It's a deal. let's meet up today.

Seller runs back to other line... "hey buyer, someone's offering me $X, so forget you, I don't need your stinking money"

Buyer: (Dangit, now he knows the true value)... oh... er.. uh .. I'll pay you 20% more than him, but only if you let me come right now and promise them

unscrupulous seller: no problem. But the other buyer says he's coming in about 5 hours, so don't $&%^ with me, or they're going to him.

Buyer: Ok ok (I better comply or the other guy's gonna get them).

Seller waits a few hours to make sure the buyer comes with the cash. Then after he is sure the 1st buyer comes with the cash, and makes the transaction, then he calls me.

Me. Yeah, good to hear from you. She's on her way, be there shortly.

Seller... Uh, sorry,.. uh er.. someone already paid for it. :pullhair:

Can't imagine what would happen if I traveled all that way and he tried to pull that.

I feel for you.

Wow, that is completely rediculous. I hope people become aware of this guy and his practices and avoid him at all costs. The comic buying community needs to ban together and send people like this a message...sorry man, I know how much that book must have meant to you. I know how I felt when I finally got my x-men #1...good luck finding a more reputable seller...

Jeff,

I'm really sorry to hear this...there is absolutely no good reason to do this sort of thing.

Other than a complete lack of ethics and a life guided purely by greed, obviously. meh

I agree. That totally sux. :sorry:

Will add them to my list of sellers to never buy from.

I sent Silveracre the following e-mail:

Dear Darryl:

If you have not been made aware of the below referenced thread on the CGC boards, I strongly recommend you review it immediately and give serious consideration to posting a response to defend your actions. I have no doubt that you have already lost potential future sales as a result (and you can count me among those), and the question that now exists is whether the decision of many collectors to avoid your auctions/books is justified.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2544972#Post2544972

It would appear you entered into a good faith agreement to sell Mr. Delaney a specific copy of Batman #1, and then you reneged on your promise. Your excuse - money - appears obvious, as detailed in the e-mail you sent to Jeff that is reproduced below.

Regards anyway Darryl

This type of behavior, especially by one who considers himself a prominent and respected dealer, is completely inexcusable and borderline unethical. It makes no difference whether you are located in the United States or United Kingdom. If ever a seller acted in this manner to me they would face legal action or other consequences in a heartbeat. I have no stake in Jeff's transactions (indeed, Jeff and I have been at odds on issues many times so no one would view me as rushing to his defense - and I am not speaking on his behalf here or at his request) and I do not know you other than through reputation. But if you do not believe this will impact your reputation among the numerous collectors/dealers who frequent the CGC boards you will be mistaken, and I hope you see fit to either explain your actions, if that is appropriate, or offer Jeff an alternative arrangement for future books as a necessary and apparently deserved apology.

Respectfully,

Mark

I encourage everyone to do the same. It is simply not enough to condemn these actions here on the boards. Take it to where it impacts most - e-mail Daryl at sales@silveracre.com

Unless he warned you that the delay in payment would risk the sale--which it doesn't sound like he did--that a no class move. A verbal agreement to sell is only valid if the seller has integrity...which this guy obviously doesn't.

If anyone wants to voice their disapproval, here's his email:

sales@silveracre.com

Unless he warned you that the delay in payment would risk the sale--which it doesn't sound like he did--that a no class move.

No, he never said anything about the short delay being a problem. That actually would have been a pretty quick payment for a high-dollar item, which often are set up as months-long layaways.