• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark Jewelers insert

17 posts in this topic

From memory, it is a centerfold advertisement in books sold only at military bases. There are also some other advertisers/versions like National Diamond Sales

I just got an OFF 140 from Comick1 that had one - the book feels really heavy and stiff due to extra thick stock paper in the center.

I just sold an Avengers 91 with the National one in it, and it wasn't nearly as noticeable (weight and stiffness) as the Mark Jeweler's one.

It's another way to pretend that a Bronze age comic is rare.

Well, unless maybe you live next to a military base perhaps, they are not all that terribly common. I probably owned 10,000 comics (with an emphasis on the bronze) before I wound up getting a batch of them (unmentioned in a lot I bought off ebay). My guess is that while a lot of military folks were getting and reading a lot of comics in the '70's, they weren't necessarily into hoarding and saving them. Plus, didn't a lot of people rip the insert out because it is annoying?

So, really, these things are super dooper rare and every completionist should hunt them down. At least until I sell mine off.

There are active buyers for MJ Spideys and X-men and keys and that's about it. Ubber high grade might add on some $$$ as well. The completionist can get these and nobody else really cares so no big money. Even common 30 cent variants are seeing this affect.

I just got an OFF 140 from Comick1 that had one - the book feels really heavy and stiff due to extra thick stock paper in the center.

I just sold an Avengers 91 with the National one in it, and it wasn't nearly as noticeable (weight and stiffness) as the Mark Jeweler's one.

That's because the NDS was printed on slick paper vs. the MJ insert at the time being cardboard...Jim

From memory, it is a centerfold advertisement in books sold only at military bases. There are also some other advertisers/versions like National Diamond Sales

Yes, the books were distributed exclusively at military bases throughout the country and possibly through oversea's bases as well, and you tend to have lots of former military guys who want these books. I specifically have 2 customers that are trying to compile an entire set of each. The books are genuinely tougher and the books also generally have nicer spines due to the extra strength provided by the inserts.

Originally Posted By: lizards2
From memory, it is a centerfold advertisement in books sold only at military bases. There are also some other advertisers/versions like National Diamond Sales<br /><br />I just got an OFF 140 from Comick1 that had one - the book feels really heavy and stiff due to extra thick stock paper in the center.<br /><br />I just sold an Avengers 91 with the National one in it, and it wasn't nearly as noticeable (weight and stiffness) as the Mark Jeweler's one.

Yes, the books were distributed exclusively at military bases throughout the country and possibly through oversea's bases as well, and you tend to have lots of former military guys who want these books. I specifically have 2 customers that are trying to compile an entire set of each. The books are genuinely tougher and the books also generally have nicer spines due to the extra strength provided by the inserts.

Where did you get your info that they were distributed to stateside bases?Jim

It's another way to pretend that a Bronze age comic is rare.

Well, unless maybe you live next to a military base perhaps, they are not all that terribly common. I probably owned 10,000 comics (with an emphasis on the bronze) before I wound up getting a batch of them (unmentioned in a lot I bought off ebay). My guess is that while a lot of military folks were getting and reading a lot of comics in the '70's, they weren't necessarily into hoarding and saving them. Plus, didn't a lot of people rip the insert out because it is annoying?

So, really, these things are super dooper rare and every completionist should hunt them down. At least until I sell mine off.

Yep I ripped most of mine out because the ink would bleed onto the centerfold. I still have a few, I just cant remember which books still have them.

Originally Posted By: lizards2
From memory, it is a centerfold advertisement in books sold only at military bases. There are also some other advertisers/versions like National Diamond Sales<br /><br />I just got an OFF 140 from Comick1 that had one - the book feels really heavy and stiff due to extra thick stock paper in the center.<br /><br />I just sold an Avengers 91 with the National one in it, and it wasn't nearly as noticeable (weight and stiffness) as the Mark Jeweler's one.

Where did you get your info that they were distributed to stateside bases?Jim
Just from collectors. We have a base near me (Ft Campbell) and also Ft Knox is not that far away. I have heard they were at both places. I was not there to see it personally.

Just from collectors. We have a base near me (Ft Campbell) and also Ft Knox is not that far away. I have heard they were at both places. I was not there to see it personally.

All the info I've been able to gather suggest they were overseas only. There have been second-hand accounts they were at stateside bases also but have never found anyone to confirm this...

The focus of the inserts suggest being directed to overseas personnel also...

Jim

All the info I've been able to gather suggest they were overseas only. There have been second-hand accounts they were at stateside bases also but have never found anyone to confirm this...

Jim

Next up is DC. Their MJ insert cardboard era will be the focus of Part 8...
:whistle:

Jim

Next up is DC. Their MJ insert cardboard era will be the focus of Part 8...
:whistle:

I know...I know... :sorry:

Jim