• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Little Frazetta To Alleviate My Boredom

11 posts in this topic

Dave

As always, great stuff, thanks for sharing your thoughts and rarely seen images.

I have to agree you with the Frazetta cross hatching - simply beautiful. (It's easier to see if you click on the image to enlarge Dave's scan).

Cheers!

Nelson

Excellent reading, Dave . . . keep up the good work. (thumbs u

I remember the Frazetta fantasy illustration appearing for sale in a Russ Cochran auction 25 years ago. Your scan of the art really showcases the beauty of Frank's fabulous brushwork.

Here's a scan from the Cochran catalog:

ws2rg8.jpg

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I bought it from Russ right out of that catalog. Time sure flies...over 25 years ago. The original still gives me pleasure every day!

Best!

DAVE

A couple of years later, Russ offered the poster art to THE NIGHT THEY RAIDED MINSKY'S. At $10,000 minimum bid, it failed to sell.Had I that kind of cash available, in 1985, I'd have jumped at that one! (worship)As much as I like Frank's fantasy paintings . . . the MINSKY'S poster art was really special . . . one of my top favorites. (thumbs u

I'm enjoying the Foster/Salinas/Herriman essays and art. Thanks! (thumbs u

DocDave:

Frank's first published comic work is Tally Ho. Have you ever asked Frank about that as I've heard somewhat conflicting stories as to how much of pencils/inks was done by Frank and how much by John Giunta.

Well, the real truth is probably lost in the mists of time and dimming memories. However, Frank said in an interview that he pencilled one story of the SNOWMAN for that issue. John Giunta then went over the pencils and fully inked the story. Frank did not make a substantial contribution, but it was a start. HIs early childhood home-made comics are really something to see. Very energetic with great color and sophisticated design elements. Hopefully, all this treasure trove of unseen Frazetta will someday come to light and get published.

Best!

DAVE