• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's time for GPA to start reporting Comiclink Focused Auction results
1 1

217 posts in this topic

GPA risks becoming totally irrelevant for info on ultra high grade sales if they do not start reporting GPA Focused Auction results.

The latest Focused results blew away many of the numbers on the GPA, especially for Golden Age stuff where no copy has sold since 2003. And for bronze 9.8 Marvels where the highest reported sale on GPA is for a 9.6

I don't know why GPA does not report on Comiclink, but they should AT LEAST report the Focused results. Those types of sales are sorely lacking from the current GPA database.

I totally agree. My understanding is Comiclink chooses not to report the data. GPA I'm sure would love to have it but short of manually monitoring every auction, they need CL to report it.

How does GPA get data from eBay then? I`m sure eBay doesn`t report to GPA.
Apparently they do. There was a post in the original art forum that eBay was sending sales data to the CAF forums for free so that is why the CAF forums had to stop charging their members for the data. I guess GPA pays for their data so that's why they can charge for it. :baiting:

Or maybe they don't pay for it. Who knows

Edited by greggy

Just guessing here.....Ebay's website is much more conducive to writing a -script to pull data. CL's website is a POS.

George has software that records data. Thing is that Ebay data is easier to corroborate. You can see low feedback bidders, shady sales etc and this is all noted in the GPA sales data. With dealers they are supposed to provide transaction info, not just a price...and Josh likely wants to keep his client base private.

George probably does not want to record unsubstantiated sales data.

(shrug)

EBay probably allows GPA to mine data though, something that CL doesn't.

If I remember correctly, and I usually do, the issue was that Josh only wanted to forward "record-breaking sales" to GPA, likely as a form of advertising, but had no interest in allowing ALL ComicLink transactions to be used in GPA.

I believe George has covered this multiple times.

George has software that records data. Thing is that Ebay data is easier to corroborate. You can see low feedback bidders, shady sales etc and this is all noted in the GPA sales data. With dealers they are supposed to provide transaction info, not just a price...and Josh likely wants to keep his client base private.

(shrug)

I agree with your premise. Why Josh would keep info private from what essentially amounts to an audit system for comic sales is completely and utterly beyond me, and is substantial grist for the conspiratorial person's mill

If I remember correctly, and I usually do, the issue was that Josh only wanted to forward "record-breaking sales" to GPA, likely as a form of advertising, but had no interest in allowing ALL ComicLink transactions to be used in GPA.

Seems to me if GPA records CL sales, then GPA prices would be higher therefore the prices people would be willing to pay for books might rise. Hence more money for Josh.

Seems to me if GPA records CL sales, then GPA prices would be higher therefore the prices people would be willing to pay for books might rise. Hence more money for Josh.

Doesn't make sense, does it? (shrug)

There must be a extremely compelling reason why Josh doesn't want to give chapter and verse on who bought what for how much? hm

To try and end the conspiracy theories, here's what George posted to confirm his earlier comments. Straight from Josh:

"George, To backtrack to the point you came in on - a board member asked why ComicLink doesn't report to GPA. In response, I said I offered to report select ComicLink sales data, not all data, and that it wasn't accepted. That is where it stands and I am ok with it. "

(shrug)

The eBay data is mo more reliable. One has to assume that all of the transaction follow through to completion.

For the record, I am not implying that anything shady is going on. That is an arguement all in and of itslf.

I do know for a fact that if I had an established client list that provided me with $1,000,000's in business every year I certainly would have reservations about sharing it with another party.

2c

(shrug)

The eBay data is mo more reliable. One has to assume that all of the transaction follow through to completion.

Actually, any GPA sales that are questionable are noted as such on GPA.

(thumbs u

It's not a matter of what Comiclink wants or does not want.

The solution is simple. Once a month GPA needs to manually enter the auction results once the auctions have ended. All the results are sitting right there for anyone to view, here is an example of a listing of past results.

The results are sitting right there. These are very important sales.

Someone at GPA needs to spend 10 hours a month manually going through these results and recording them.

More and more quality material is migrating from Heritage and ebay to Comiclink Focused. If GPA does not start reporting it, their database will be woefully inadequate for the best material out there.

Sure they can give me a very accurate estimate on ASM #300 9.6

But for stuff where they have no recorded sales since 2002 or 2003, and then a sale is made on Comiclink Focused and this updated price is NOT recorded, I think that is a real dis-service to their subscribers