• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First comic store

81 posts in this topic

Joe's Junk... Marshall, NC... 1972... old farm equipment and antique furniture upstairs, stacks of periodicals in the basement, comics in the back corner... My first comic... Batman 234 and Uncle Scrooge #??? (cover had the Beagle Boys and Huey, Dewey and Louie with Uncle Scrooge holding a bag of coins)... Still have the Batman... the Uncle Scrooge got traded for a Daredevil comic...

Tales Resold located in Raleigh, NC

and still exists today.

:cloud9:

When I was visiting my now wife in Raleigh/Durham area, I went by that store many times.

As for me, went to Fat Moose Comic and Games and then it was in the Morris County Mall probably in 1986 or so. Moose is still around today, though now in Whippany NJ

Bender's Books in Phoebus, Va....he had a couple dozen boxes behind the cash register in the early 80's...and now has a warehouse full. I remember buying 8.5 copies of ASM 8 and 13 for $ 50 for the pair.I remember going up the rickety staircase to use the bathroom and there was a Human Torch # 2 sitting on the back of the toilet.Talk about reading material.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Well, technically it was Tem Dee when they were in Runnemede, NJ... but I was there for 3rd series Empire strikes back cards (Hard to find back then!) so that was 1980 or 1981. The 1st Comic shop I went to to buy back issues was Rainbow comics in Blackwood, NJ, prob. 1983 if I remember correctly. My 7-11 was the main source of my books for many years.

1977, The Great Escape, Nashville

Still my LCS to this day :cloud9:

I went there during m y "Hurrication". I ended up buying a few records & the Twin Peaks DVD box set, but no comics. They did have a nice selection though.

Glad you got to check it out, and I hope all is well at home :wishluck:

The Escape is, or was, a great place for vinyl back in the old days, I used to spend as much time sifting through old records as I did the old comics :)

I can't remember the name, but it was a pretty good store in Fullerton. Carl Macek was a manager or co-owner. He worked on Heavy Metal and since then has been involved in movies much more than comics.

I spent most of my time between three stories (I had no idea until recently how lucky I was to find these stores). John Verzyl's Comic Haven provided most of the key books. Macek's store got a lot of nice books to fill in '70s runs. And then there was Alex's book store around the corner. Unbagged comics floor to ceiling creating the maximum fire hazard possible. Tons of '40s on up and no matter how many times I went in or how long we stayed, we always found a new stack of stuff to purchase.

Not sure what my first comic book was - Dad started bringing them home for me to read when I was very young and the books were random DCs. The first comic I bought as a collector was Blackhawk #244 for $1 from Mile High Comics via mail order. (Bought $49 of other stuff too, but the Blackhawk always stuck in my head.)

I went there during m y "Hurrication". I ended up buying a few records & the Twin Peaks DVD box set, but no comics. They did have a nice selection though.

The Escape is, or was, a great place for vinyl back in the old days, I used to spend as much time sifting through old records as I did the old comics :)

Yes the house is fine. One knocked over rosebush that has been around for 30+ years, and 1 piece of siding bent up. It was pretty minor all things considered!

Yes the house is fine. One knocked over rosebush that has been around for 30+ years, and 1 piece of siding bent up. It was pretty minor all things considered!

Good news! Hope you can make it back to Nashville under more pleasant circumstances (thumbs u

Mine was a small store (can't remember the name) that was on my way home from school on the corner of Lebanon Road and McGavock Pike in Donelson TN (right outside Nashville, TN) around 1975-6' ish (I was around 11 years old). The store was only there for probably a year, no more.

I didn't learn about the Great Escape until about 1979 or so. We didn't go downtown much.

I still consider it a good store although some people call it by the Great Rape.