• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. JOE THREAD YO JOE!!!!!!
10 10

2,338 posts in this topic

On 1/16/2023 at 4:16 PM, EricNeedHam said:

I went to a Toy convention and Hasbro were giving away GI Joe Number 1 while promoting the GI Joe line.

This was a good year before it appeared on the newsstand....circa Summer 1981.

I was a kid and this was held at the old NY Coliseum at Columbus Circle that is now the Time Warner Center.

Ill find it and post a pic and see if there are any differences in the printing.

Contract between Marvel and Hasbro was not in place until after Summer 1981.  Please note while dated June 1982, the issue first was on sale March 1982.

http://jimshooter.com/2011/07/secret-parts-of-origin-of-gi-joe.html/

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/22/2023 at 6:59 PM, MAR1979 said:

Contact between Marvel and Hasbro was not in place until after Summer 1981.  Please note while dated June 1982, the issue first was on sale March 1982.

I would like to get the actual date of the toy convention my father took me and my buddy to. It was way before it hit the newsstands. 

To this day we remember getting the issue before it was placed on newsstands. And before the action figure was released. 

The booth was for the figures and the comic was a giveaway for convention goers.

We were from the larger Adventure Team era and were surprised that they had shrank down to the Star Wars size action figures on display.

At that time I had a regular Local Comic Shop near my school that I went to regularly....so I dont think I "missed" the debut. 

On 1/22/2023 at 6:59 PM, MAR1979 said:

Contact between Marvel and Hasbro was not in place until after Summer 1981.  Please note while dated June 1982, the issue first was on sale March 1982.

So if this was released in March and the publish date was June that mean they could have had this even prior to March……

On 1/23/2023 at 7:30 PM, EricNeedHam said:

So if this was released in March and the publish date was June that mean they could have had this even prior to March……

Yes but not by much. The book hit Direct Sales early March 1982 and Newsstands late March/Early April. The gap back then was 2-3 weeks. 

Finished Colored Art would have arrived at printers 3rd-4th week of Jan 1982. The earliest plausible date "samples" of the finished printed product would have been in hand at Marvel was perhaps Mid Feb. All based on the standards of the time. Sure my estimate could be off by 1-2 weeks in either direction but certainly no more slack than that.

Edited by MAR1979

Lead times were what they were the only way to meet earlier dates it to start earlier.  Again I could be off by 1-2 weeks, but no more, in either direction. 

If the book had been printed + given away or sold in 1981 - which it was not, the indicia legally would have had to reflect at least one 1981 reference

In addition as a double-size new release the art phase required double effort and close to double time to produce. Then add additional time for the first time used by Marvel - Baxter Paper and abnormal thick stock cover.  

Appears you want to have the existance of the published comic crafted to fit a childhood memory.  Hey I understand that well but the fact remains the  bathroom encounter between Galton and Hasbro did not occur until well into 1981. Best barely plausible case would have been 6 months of intense effort just to have time consuming contracts finalized then large double art effort completed before package arrived in Sparta (or wherever Baxter coukd be done). 

I/we welcome any evidence to contrary.

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/7/2023 at 11:18 AM, srezvan said:

Question for you GI Joe fans. I'm reading my way through the IDW trade paperbacks of the original Marvel series. I noticed something odd in the copyright information about what issues are included:

GI Joe TPB Vol. 13 Collects GI Joe (1982-1994 Marvel) #121-130
GI Joe TPB Vol. 14 Collects GI Joe (1982-1994 Marvel) #135-145

Does anyone know why issues 131-134 aren't included? Is this a typo? Are the issues included somewhere else?

Thanks!

In case anyone is interested, there are no missing issues. On the books themselves, they include the correct issue numbers and all books are included. The info I pulled was from MyComicShop, which is wrong. I'm almost done reading the run in the TPBs and nothing appears to be missing.

Had a question about a book I see on ebay that all of a sudden starts appearing out of thin air that in my 40+ years of collecting Joe books have never seen or heard of until the last couple months.  Its the ARAH #30 that has a sticker from Family Home Entertainment on it.  

1.  Who put the sticker on those books?

2.  Why is there so few of them and really no records of them until late?  How come they just started appearing now?

3.  If it was the vhs store or whoever and not Marvel can we really consider this a variant?

4.  How come no extra individual stickers have appeared elsewhere or on other products?

5.  Is it a first or second printing book?

Have concerns also because stickers like that can be faked so easily.  Just seems very odd and gives me that Steel brigade version E feeling.

30sticker.jpg.5bb683e031f683c5e23f258969dd812a.jpg

Edited by whisp

I'm very sad to hear of MD Bright's passing. I was able to write to him back in 2016 on the off chance I could get some sketches from him. Imagine, I'm just a random fan writing to him out of the blue. He was so generous, kind, and humble in his replies. His art in G.I. Joe and Green Lantern was some of my favorite ever. So to be able to write to him to say how much I loved his work was amazing, and he created these sketches for me. I always loved his version of Cobra Commander, and his cover art on G.I. Joe #93 is iconic. I remember seeing it on the stands and thinking, "is this it, I'm going to see what Snake Eyes looks like!" 

So, I had asked MD if he would consider drawing that epic panel where we finally see the full image of Snake Eyes on a cover. He did it! I am thankful for his kindness and wish his family much love in their time of loss.

Two Joe comic covers.jpeg

Snake Eyes face cover.jpeg

Snake Eyes Commander cover .jpeg