• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can we really trust CGC? Why are grades on my books so low?
2 2

254 posts in this topic

Interesting thread I'm sorry I didn't see sooner. Those of you that know me know I've been around a long time and graded hundreds of thousands of books. But.. they were by Overstreet standards that I helped formulate back in the 80's. I was on a grading panel at San Diego before CGC came into existence and I remember Steve Fischler saying he didn't need anyone to tell him how to grade a book.I made the now idiotic statement that I didn't think comic collectors would support slabbing books because they wanted to look at the insides. Couldn't have been more wrong. When CGC came into existence I person_without_enough_empathyed and moaned as they were not using Overstreet standards. Some of the things I complained about were very high grades on books with bad pages and CGC's ignoring of off center cuts. People are now looking at both. But I'm off point. I was and am an expert grader of comics by Overstreet standards. I am not, however, an expert grader based on CGC standards. CGC standards are now accepted by this market. CGC can be off but so can I. I sent the same copy of a She-Hulk 1 in twice got a 9.4 the first time and a 9.6 the second. The book was a NM+ by Overstreet standards but I could easily have graded it NM. CGC looks for things on new books that I simply can't detect. Having submitted hundreds and purchased thousands of CGC graded books, I'm getting better at predicting CGC grades but am not an expert by their standards. I haven't graded thousands of books using their standards and freely admit I'm clouded by the vast number I graded by Overstreet standards. I suspect the "expert" grader this guy is using is someone with a lot of comic experience but not CGC. His expert simply is not a CGC expert. As someone has already pointed out, the difference between a 9.4 and 9.8 on a new book may be microscopic. Don't complain about CGC. They are the new experts and if he wants to complain to anyone it should be to his expert who obviously doesn't know the difference between a 9.4 and 9.8 CGC new comic. Stop complaining and get a new expert or just buy already graded books.

keith contarino

The almighty Dr Keith, Luv you brother, Bunky Bri :foryou:

Wise words. If you want an expert at CGC 9.8 moderns, get a lesson from Beachbum. He's got it down.

I prequalified 16 potential cgc 9.6 and 9.8 books.

Of those 16 I gave 9 to 11 a potential 9.8 cgc status.

key word POTENTIAL

You never know if youve overlooked something or perhaps a cgc grader will pick up a few new notes. And god forbid, maybe you packaged your book like a dunce and its your fault.

Long story short shipping in the dead of winter here in Ontario Canada my 16 books turned up 8 ASM CGC 9.8s out of my predicted 9 or 11 of 16.

Even I am not perfect. I may not always be right, but I am never wrong.

lol just kiddin

I have several copies of each issue and every girl, I ever dated including my wife was asked to read the Watchmen and tell me what they thought about it. I asked them to read it because it was that important to me... to have them read IMHO one of the greatest stories of all time.

Uh yeah.

I love comics and have read/collected them since I was about 5, but I've never felt it necessary to ask my women to read them. ???

I do ask her to accept them being in the house.. but read them? :roflmao: Let's not get greedy here people!

Whenever the latest issue of Walking Dead comes out, I withhold sex from my girlfriend until she's read it. :gossip:

That reminds me of the Office episode where Michael threatens to withhold sex from Jan if she doesn't give him a pay raise, "Where a male employee threatened to withhold sex from a female superior in order to get a modest, scheduled raise, commenting. It will be a groundbreaking case when it inevitably goes to trial."

I agree that Watchmen #1 is worth over 300 but I believe a 9.2 should be worth about $200 not 14.95.

----------------

Who do you think is going to pay that price?

People aren't [always] dopey. There are thousands and thousands of NM- Watchmen 1s. Seriously, before the movie hype hit the whole set in 9.2/9.4 was $10-$15 at a lot of shows (maybe less). They can't all be $200 books, there just aren't people willing to pay that price for the 150,000th nicest copy of the book! It wasn't a $200 book when it was all the fashizzle before CGC either. While there is some irrationality in the market attaching a $400-$1000 price to some 9.8 slabs, it is pretty rational in deciding that a slabbed 9.2 is really worth not much more than a raw 9.2 for a book like this that is common as dirt. the slab just takes up a lot of space and costs more to ship.

Edited by the blob

oh, i didn't realize this thread was years old, silly me

the OP sounded like someone who just came back from the comic shop upset ths store wasn't going to give them full guide for all those hot comics from the early 90s they had acquired

Whenever the latest issue of Walking Dead comes out, I withhold sex from my girlfriend until she's read it. :gossip:

If I had not just changed my sig line quote today, this would have made the cut!

PS: RMA, you are a dork for bumping this oldass thread.

i love threads started by loons. I almost want to create a shill just to act like i think the x-men are real and live in my closet. Oh, and they are expert graders too. Kitty being the best at picking out 9.8's.

Jeez, you dug deep to resurect this thread eh? :baiting:

i love threads started by loons. I almost want to create a shill just to act like i think the x-men are real and live in my closet. Oh, and they are expert graders too. Kitty being the best at picking out 9.8's.

Jeez, you dug deep to resurect this thread eh? :baiting:

It had a recent advertisement in General.

1st off, lol

Secondly, I agree. Threads started by lunatics are the most fun evah!

1st off, lol

Secondly, I agree. Threads started by lunatics are the most fun evah!

How did I know that I'd find you in a thread like this. HOW DID I KNOW?

lol

I love the 1st post. 7 watchmen (coppers?) sent in expecting 9.8s and 4 failed.

That means he got 3 9.8s out of 7?

I still haven't gotton one 9.8. :censored:

I thought this thread had already died one or two deaths.

The original post is worth a laugh for the logic in it. Any book that CGC gave a lesser grade than he expected was incorrecly graded by CGC. Any book that came out higher than he expected was correctly graded by CGC as being the higher grade and he assumes that he must have mistakenly undergraded it.

Please do not beat me up on this but how do I even know these are the books I sent?

I missed this line from his opening paragraph the first time... this was a gem. :applause:

But in fairness, this fellow was a model of restraint compared to the current loon in General.

Please do not beat me up on this but how do I even know these are the books I sent?

I missed this line from his opening paragraph the first time... this was a gem. :applause:

But in fairness, this fellow was a model of restraint compared to the current loon in General.

I'll tell you though, I had a discussion about the same issue with some people at a local store and they were insistent that this is ow CGC stayed in business--making copies of the covers people sent, and selling the real ones elsewhere. It was about as stupid as you could find.