• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SC Art Books, Sketchbooks, Comic Magazines, Scarcely Seen Independents, TPBs

115 posts in this topic

Any Frazetta stuff??

Yes, I've got some Frazetta's. Just nothing I can put my hand to at the moment.

(It's all in storage.)

I do have this available.

It's a NM Verotik (Glenn Danzig) ashcan from 1994 that has

full-page sketches by Frazetta that I've never seen before.

Unpublished? I'm not sure.

$35.00

INDEPENDENTCOMICS2017.jpg

Here are some things you rarely, if ever, see.

Ask me for more scans. The back covers of these are quite as nice as the front covers.

And if you're the least bit curious, please ask for scans of samples of the interiors.

I'll be more than happy to supply you with as much informed information as I'm able to generate.

Here we go.

LAND OF 1000 BEERS: La via dollarosa. DAVID SANDLIN. Paintings, drawings, and prints.

Text by John Carlin. (Paperback, 24 glossy pages)

Publisher: The Visual Arts Gallery, University of Alabama at Birmingham (1989)

ASIN: B000LYCWJ2

Out of Print--Limited Availability.

"Land Of 1000 Beers" is track 8 on "Fink"

Fink is the second album by the Swamp Zombies and was released in 1989 under the Doctor Dream Records label.

$45.00 (or best offer)

oddbalweirdocomicbookmagazines016.jpg

LAND OF 1000 BEERS: La via dollarosa. DAVID SANDLIN. Paintings, drawings, and prints.

Text by John Carlin. (Paperback, 24 glossy pages)

Publisher: The Visual Arts Gallery, University of Alabama at Birmingham (1989)

ASIN: B000LYCWJ2

Out of Print--Limited Availability.

"Land Of 1000 Beers" is track 8 on "Fink"

Fink is the second album by the Swamp Zombies and was released in 1989 under the Doctor Dream Records label.

$45.00 (or best offer)

oddbalweirdocomicbookmagazines016.jpg

Should be made into a movie!~ :banana:

This has no indica, ads or any identifying features beyond the title.

Research indicates it's a 2005 printing? 1st and only one-shot? Mystery book!

I've got to dig deeper, here. Actually examine every page.

SWORD AND FANTASY - 52 full pages of unpublished (?) art

Art by James Van Hise on Robert E. Howard, Gil Kane, Karl Edward Wagner; Mark Schultz, Gary Gianni, Jim Keegan, Barbara Baum, Ed Waterman; Roy Krenkel, Rick McCollum, Mike Zeck, Gustave Dore, Zdneck Burian, George Barr, Richard Corben,

Genre Sword & Fantasy, Horror

Bernie Wrightson back color cover

Publisher: James Van Hise (2005)

ASIN: B000P0Y1LE

$44.44

oddbalweirdocomicbookmagazines017.jpg

Back cover - Bernie Wrightson

oddbalweirdocomicbookmagazines018.jpg

GREEN ANGELS #2, CHICANO MILITANTCY

NM - RARE PHILOSOPHICAL & POLITICAL (RADICAL) UNDERGROUND, ESE. VIVA LA RAZA!

THIS MAGAZINE IS FULL OF CHICANO MILITARY PHOTOS, ART, NEWS, ARTICLES. OLD SCHOOL MILITARY STYLE! THIS IS A REAL CLASSIC!

BEST CHICANO MAGAZINE OUT THERE SINCE 1979!

VIETNAM VIET NAM VETERANS

BIKERS MOTORCYCLES CLUBS INTERESTS

COMICS, TOO. ('cause it's a comics board.)

$88.88 (or best offer)

oddbalweirdocomicbookmagazines013.jpg

PICTURE STORY #2

$18.88

Peter Blegvad

Printed December 15 , 1986 New York City

ISBN # 0889 - 0188

Jerry Moriarty ; Mark Beyer ; Peter Blegvad , DIZI ; Martin Millard

Publisher / Editor Ben Katchor

Underground / Alternative Art Work

RARE FOR Collector

Recommended For Adult Readers

Some Lesbian / Gay Themes

oddbalweirdocomicbookmagazines012.jpg

Birth name Peter Blegvad

Born August 14, 1951 (1951-08-14) (age 57)

New York City, United States

Genre(s) Avant-rock, Experimental

Occupation(s) Musician, Lyricist, Cartoonist, Illustrator

Instrument(s) Guitar, vocals

Years active 1960s – present

Label(s) Virgin, Recommended

Associated acts Slapp Happy, Henry Cow, John Greaves, Chris Cutler

Peter Blegvad (born 14 August 1951) is an American musician, singer-songwriter, and cartoonist. He was a founding member of the avant-rock band Slapp Happy, which later merged briefly with Henry Cow, and has released many solo and collaborative albums. He is the son of Lenore and Erik Blegvad, who are respectively, a children's book author and illustrator.

Blegvad collaborated with bassist John Greaves (recording Kew. Rhone. with Greaves in 1977) and a much later collection of spoken word pieces set to Greaves' music, Unearthed. In the 1980s, he released a number of commercially unsuccessful albums on the Virgin Records label, including The Naked Shakespeare and Knights Like This, both of which show the influence of external producers. By contrast, Downtime, an independent release in the late 1980s features mainly very simple demos, often recorded cheaply in professional studios' "downtime". King Strut and Other Stories (Virgin, 1990) is a collection of short stories set to simply arranged, professionally produced music played in many cases by noted session musicians. The album features XTC's Andy Partridge while Orpheus - The Lowdown (2003) is a whole album in collaboration with Partridge. Many of Blegvad's albums feature former members of Slapp Happy and Henry Cow and Slapp Happy have re-formed on occasion for specific projects.

Blegvad is a deft and literate lyricist whose lyrics frequently feature word games, literary references and complex and extended rhyme schemes. He can also claim credit for one of the world's longest grammatically correct palindromes (from Kew. Rhone.):

From 1992 to 1999, The Independent ran Blegvad's strangely surreal, comic strip, Leviathan, which received much critical praise for blending some of the most interesting elements of Krazy Kat with a coming-of-age-esque story akin to Calvin and Hobbes. Some of the strips have been collected in the 2001 volume The Book of Leviathan. Other comics and illustrations by Blegvad have appeared in The Ganzfeld and Ben Katchor's Picture Story 2.

He has also conducted two- and three-week writing courses at Warwick University, England, in association with the National Academy for Gifted and Talented Youth (NAGTY), and the new University of Warwick venture for gifted and creative children, the International Gateway for Gifted Youth (IGGY).

LAND OF 1000 BEERS

Yes. Forgotten modern comics w/low print runs.

Eventually.

We are ahead of the times.

10? 20 years?

Except this is, mostly, an art portfolio.

You commet in jest, perhaps. The title. A-ha.

Have you seen/read this?

I just thought Land of a Thousand Beers would be a cool name for a movie..(direct to DVD of course! :insane:)

ART D'ECCO #1, 1990

$20.00

Roger Langridge originally came to public prominence most notably with the Judge Dredd Megazine series The Straitjacket Fits (written by David Bishop), a surreal, hallucinatory, convention-bending strip set in an insane asylum with a cast of characters who by the end had realised that they were in a comic strip and had burst out from the edge of the frame.

His cartoony art proved perfect for the series, and he has continued to work for the Megazine, in addition to a series of comedy books dedicated to his Buster Keaton-inspired character Fred the Clown, which he wrote and drew as a webcomic before self-publishing the material as small press titles. These were collected as a single volume by Fantagraphics Books in 2004. His work on Fred the Clown was nominated for two Eisner Awards, a Harvey Award, a Reuben Award and an Ignatz Award. Langridge also does illustration work.

He has also provided artwork for Shaenon Garrity's Smithson webcomic.

Langridge has provided the Fin Fang Four, with Scott Gray, first for Marvel Monsters, then a series of short stories and in late 2008 as a digital comic on Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited.

oddbalweirdocomicbookmagazines009.jpg

Glenn Head's Avenue D

Magazine: 48 pages

Publisher: Fantagraphics Books (1991)

ASIN: B0006DGMPS

Long one of the most popular cartoonists to appear in Snake Eyes and the late Weirdo, and current editor of Hotwire Comix and Capers, Glenn Head took his abrasive urban angst comix solo with this handsome collection of his best strips from the 1980s. It's weird, it's woolly, and it's full of Head's meticulously-rendered, twisted characters, including addicts, winos, punk snowmen, and more!

$4.44

oddbalweirdocomicbookmagazines008.jpg

BUZZARD #6, (Cat-Head, 1992) Thrice yearly

"The Magazine of Comic Views and Turgid Witttisicisms"

A comix anthology antidote for the toxic Bush/Ashcroft agenda. Each issue features the top names in alternative comics. Each issue lost so much money it still makes us, (the publishers) weepy.

oddbalweirdocomicbookmagazines007.jpg

Perhaps if I posted more mainstream comic magazines

I could goose some sales out of this thread.

That and my

HAPPY NEW YEAR HANGOVER SPECIAL

30% OFF LISTED PRICES

(Good only through Sunday, 01/04/09, midnight, for all listings prior to this post.)

Posting these hasn't been a complete waste of my holiday time.

I've quite enjoyed going through these. (You may not realize what you're missing.)