• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has Jason Ewert ever served any time?

54 posts in this topic

Does anybody know??? Does anybody have the ability to know???

I can't believe that he isn't in jail RIGHT NOW.

I mean hell how many thousands of dollars has this guys scammed people out of???

If this was a car dealer flipping known flooded autos he would of been behind bars a long time ago...

I figured that with all the lawyers on these boards that his reign of comic slicing terror would be over.

Maybe it has, Maybe this recent pop up - is stuff that wasn't uncovered before.

I thought this guy was old news.

:P

If he is the same person that sold that JIM book that is in the other thread (HEY, why are we discussing a topic that is in another thread - don't make me get Flying Donut and Brass now), isn't that misrepresentation in that he purposely broke a book out of a CGC case, and then sold it at a higher grade even though it was very clear from CGC's grading system what condition it was in?

Just wondering, as I was thinking the same exact thing when I read that other post.

There is nothing legally wrong with breaking out for example a CGC 8.5 and calling it a Raw 9.2. Most honest people will tell the buyer, "This was a CGC 8.5 but I think it is a 9.2 so I cracked it out" Its just one opinion over another.

But in general if anyone on this thread or the 4 others on the topic bought a book, found out it was originally graded an 8.5 by CGC but now the seller passed it off as a 9.2, didn't tell you that, and you found out afterwards, the common reaction would be.........

But in general if anyone on this thread or the 4 others on the topic bought a book, found out it was originally graded an 8.5 by CGC but now the seller passed it off as a 9.2, didn't tell you that, and you found out afterwards, the common reaction would be.........

You'd try to get your money back by arguing that it was misgraded and that you think it is overgraded. This does not always work. The law does not always look upon comic books like we do. Basically he sent you the exact book he said he would and gave you his grade on it.

In the end CGC is a for-profit business that is not always looked to as the final say in comic grading.

Very good point, because I've seen a number of times on this board folks disagree with CGC's grading of their book, and then it comes down to personal feeling what condition a book is really in.

Wow! This is a tougher topic than I realized. So now that I realized we have the main fellow discussed on touching up books, and then this one with trimming, where is the breaking point that the law would say someone has exceeded what the reasonable man would consider fair?

I mean hell how many thousands of dollars has this guys scammed people out of???

If this was a car dealer flipping known flooded autos he would of been behind bars a long time ago...

I figured that with all the lawyers on these boards that his reign of comic slicing terror would be over.

Shouldn't you have used the search function? :baiting:

If he is the same person that sold that JIM book that is in the other thread (HEY, why are we discussing a topic that is in another thread - don't make me get Flying Donut and Brass now), isn't that misrepresentation in that he purposely broke a book out of a CGC case, and then sold it at a higher grade even though it was very clear from CGC's grading system what condition it was in?

Just wondering, as I was thinking the same exact thing when I read that other post.

No. That was Danny Dupcak, aka comic-keys, aka Dr Richard Koos, aka robojo33, aka Perry Stroud.

Now, what Danny does is always overgrade (nothing illegal there) and frequently sells books with undisclosed restoration...which could potentially be chased through Federal mail fraud laws.

Jason is a whole other kettle of fish. :eek:

What Jason did would be difficult to pin down as 'illegal', although three of our finest thought it had a decent chance.

Jason trimmed books. In isolation, nothing wrong there. Jason then sent them to CGC for assessment...again nothing wrong with that. CGC slabbed them as unrestored Universal. Jason sold them as CGC had graded them.

Now, I would imagine that the case would be made around the fact that he knew the classification was incorrect, and that his whole intention was to sell goods that he knew were not what they appeared to be.

The other problem would be proving that he did the work himself, or at least consigned the work to be done, or else he could claim no knowledge and fall back on CGC's determination.

I think. :insane:

I was trying to avoid reading through 50,000 Ewert threads to get the answer.

To me there should be a law protecting consumers that invest in high dollar collectables.

To me it should be covered under statues of Fraud, I mean why else would this guy take the meticilous time and effort to find 9.4 and 9.6's and slice and dice them to 9.8's???...

I don't know law nor do I claim to know it but you would think someone that has scammed

people out of thousands of dollars would be a candidate for a crusade to make a law if there

isn't already one.

hm

Hardly the response I would expect from an award winning boardy :baiting:

Hardly the response I would expect from an award winning boardy :baiting:

:blush:

Thank you for illustrating a good point. If only others could learn as well that it's OK to ask. (thumbs u