• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which single comics best represents the entire Golden Age?

153 posts in this topic

I agree with those that say it should be a Superman cover. I realize that Captain Marvel was as popular, or more popular, back in the day, but these days a small % of the population would even be aware of him. To just about everyone, Superman is instantly recognizable.

Action #1 or Superman #1 would work. #14 is THE patriotic cover, and #17 works well because it's not only war-themed, but illustrates both theatres of the war. I'm also a huge fan of #18.

Jeff, don't you think that the book chosen should represent the Golden Age as it was back then and not how we view the Golden Age today which is quite differently? I think there are many CM books that should contend personally. He was representative of pretty much an entire decade.

I would also nominate Action #23 BTW.

:sumo:

I don't have the eyes or mindset of someone who lived through the GA of comics. I can only view the GA as history, from the here and now. Using that filter, I can't help but factor in the fact that Superman has stood the test of time, and Captain Marvel hasn't. I can also see the huge impact the war had on boosting the popularity of comics, and how the industry struggled to find its identity once the war ended.

Superman #14

Exactly! That's what I'm talking about. :applause:

:acclaim:

Does anyone have a copy to post? I love that book! Iconic Americana.

I think we have three copies posted now, but I'm always looking for an excuse to post mine (plus it gets my vote).

supey14a.jpg

So awesome. This issue on the top of my list for my first 1K+ buy next year!

All Select #1.

Classic WWII cover with 3 major superheroes whose popularity declined as the GA ended.

Good one!

That is my pick as well. Hands down, coolest GA cover. After that, I'd go with Famous Funnies 210.

I guess it depends how one interprets the question. It could be is as simple as Action 1.

Fixed it for you. (thumbs u

Action 1 is too lopsided: the most influential cover and story of the Golden Age but those few pages don't justify making it the most representative book overall. My vote would be for Superman 1, and my sampling of 5 representative books would include Detective 1, Marvel 1, Archie 1, and Four Color 62. The Golden Age was so much more than superheroes.

If you asked the same question in Europe, I suspect Four Color 223 would be in the #1 or #2 spot.

Newbie here !!! Love the board and the articles.

Some great candidates submitted here in this thread in regards to Steve's (Showcase-4) original question as to "Which single comics best represents the entire Golden Age?"

Judging by all the responses and number of images, it seems the one that receive the most votes unofficially is Superman #14 and it totally gets my nod. Classic patriotic image, the premier superhero of the 20th Century who is instantly recognizable by anyone on earth, no matter how young or old.

Here are two strong cases for Sup 14:

(1) Wikipedia is the world wide web's ULTIMATE free encyclopedia where you can find virtually anything on any subject. It is the largest reference Web site, attracting at least 684 million visitors yearly (that's 684 MILLION !!!)

Type in the entry: "GOLDEN AGE OF COMIC BOOKS".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_age_of_comics

Can you guess which book Wikipedia chose to represent this period to all those 684 million folks who visit that page each year wanting to know what is the 'Golden Age of Comics' ?

You guest it ...

SUP14.jpg

Steve ..... you'll be glad to know that when you type in "SILVER AGE OF COMIC BOOKS" - Showcase #4 is the feature book. Definitely no arguments there ;)

Here is the "Golden Age Link" link for visitors to the site from other countries

http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%BC%AB%E7%95%AB%E7%9A%84%E9%BB%83%E9%87%91%E6%99%82%E4%BB%A3

http://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt%C4%B1n_%C3%87a%C4%9F_(%C3%A7izgi_roman)

(2) In the days shortly after 9/11, one of the most tragic days in our history, DC Comics issued a poster to honor all who perished. I remembered those posters hung in comic book shops around the nation that Fall. Of all the characters in their stable and all the images that DC could have chosen from their archives, guess who appeared on that poster ...

.....Yep, Fred Ray's timeless Masterpiece !

SUP14poster.jpg

- HANK

Newbie here !!! Love the board and the articles.

Some great candidates submitted here in this thread in regards to Steve's (Showcase-4) original question as to "Which single comics best represents the entire Golden Age?"

Judging by all the responses and number of images, it seems the one that receive the most votes unofficially is Superman #14 and it totally gets my nod. Classic patriotic image, the premier superhero of the 20th Century who is instantly recognizable by anyone on earth, no matter how young or old.

Here are two strong cases for Sup 14:

(1) Wikipedia is the world wide web's ULTIMATE free encyclopedia where you can find virtually anything on any subject. It is the largest reference Web site, attracting at least 684 million visitors yearly (that's 684 MILLION !!!)

Type in the entry: "GOLDEN AGE OF COMIC BOOKS".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_age_of_comics

Can you guess which book Wikipedia chose to represent this period to all those 684 million folks who visit that page each year wanting to know what is the 'Golden Age of Comics' ?

You guest it ...

SUP14.jpg

Steve ..... you'll be glad to know that when you type in "SILVER AGE OF COMIC BOOKS" - Showcase #4 is the feature book. Definitely no arguments there ;)

Here is the "Golden Age Link" link for visitors to the site from other countries

http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%BC%AB%E7%95%AB%E7%9A%84%E9%BB%83%E9%87%91%E6%99%82%E4%BB%A3

http://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt%C4%B1n_%C3%87a%C4%9F_(%C3%A7izgi_roman)

(2) In the days shortly after 9/11, one of the most tragic days in our history, DC Comics issued a poster to honor all who perished. I remembered those posters hung in comic book shops around the nation that Fall. Of all the characters in their stable and all the images that DC could have chosen from their archives, guess who appeared on that poster ...

.....Yep, Fred Ray's timeless Masterpiece !

SUP14poster.jpg

- HANK

Welcome to the Boards Hank (thumbs u You and Wikipedia got it right with the Supey 14 :applause:

HumanTorch12.jpg

HT #12 has a horror element to it that somewhat represents what would become the norm in the 50s.

Hey...my old "coffee can" copy....

glad you still own it, Mike (thumbs u

it sure is purty :luhv:

Steve

I expect to still own this copy for decades! :luhv:

I should really rescan it with my new scanner though... that old scan doesnt do the colors justice.

After reading all the responses within this thread, I would also say that Superman 14 has shown signs of being the best representation of the GA. The book has:

1. Superman cover

2. Superhero theme

3. Patriotic cover

4. Classic Cover

5. standard GA size / 2 staple / 4 color etc. etc.

6. art representative of the era

yeah, I believe Supes 14 would get my vote ( and a very objective vote at that, as I do not own a copy )

Superman #14 fits the bill in a number of ways no doubt - my only complaint is that it is a static rather than active cover - when I think GA Superhero cover - I visualize somebody or something getting punched.

I think the static cover is also indicative of the GA, as there were many iconic poses done throughout the titles.

Really? I would think the opposite...from Action #1 to Batman #1 to Superman #1 to Marvel Comics #1 to whatever end issue you want to cover the hero being static and motionless is the exception and not the rule.

Superman #14 fits the bill in a number of ways no doubt - my only complaint is that it is a static rather than active cover - when I think GA Superhero cover - I visualize somebody or something getting punched.

I agree. The thing that got everyone's attention in the GA was the hero in action and that is why so many people suggested Schomburg's covers...there just wasn't any more action to be found in any other artist's covers.

R.

Of course there are tons of action covers, but think how many covers show the character or team in a spotlight, or just standing there, or running towards the reader, or even just waving. I consider Batman #1 to be more of a static cover than action BTW... One of the Charms of the GA is it didn't have to be an action pose all the time, whereas the SA, you might not find more than 10 Static covers, it was all action.

some I consider Static, or Simplistic Iconic cover (even if there is some movement, these are not big action scenes)

Green lantern #1

More Fun #52, 54

Adventure #40

Superman #24

Military #13

New York World's Fair

Pep #20, 28, 36

Star Spangled #65

Most every cover of titles Like Police or earlier Batman or early World's finest

WDC&S #1

I don't have time to dig up all the comics & images, but this should be enough of what I am talking about

Edited by shiverbones

It’s been said that the ultimate compliment for any celebrity is when they make an action figure or toy of you.

While countless superheroes themselves have been made into plastic, how many “comic book COVERS ” could say they have been immortalized in this manner, let along a Golden Age cover ?

SUP14.jpg

SUP14figure.jpg

SUP14figure2.jpg

Of course there are tons of action covers, but think how many covers show the character or team in a spotlight, or just standing there, or running towards the reader, or even just waving. I consider Batman #1 to be more of a static cover than action BTW... One of the Charms of the GA is it didn't have to be an action pose all the time, whereas the SA, you might not find more than 10 Static covers, it was all action.

True enough - I guess it really just comes down to personal taste - the only more static superhero covers I get excited about are the menace ones like Headline #8 or Captain America #74, and even those imply action about to take place. I can appreciate covers like Superman #14 - but my favorite GA Superman cover is probably Action #48.

As for waving on covers - it's certainly a classic Golden Age image (especially for DC) - but not really a favorite of mine.