Restoration Grade Abbreviations defined?

5 posts in this topic

1 post

I just received a book back from CGC that was graded "Apparent 8.0 Slight (A)." I went to the CGC Census page for this book (Avengers #1) -- and then to the restoration detail section for this title -- and came across a bunch of abbreviations, e.g., "Apparent," "Apparent EA," "Apparent EP," "Apparent MA," "Apparent MP," "Apparent SA," "Apparent SP," and "Apparent SS SA" -- but I could NOT find these abbreviations defined. Can someone point me in the right direction to learn the meaning of these abbreviations? I could not find any info about this on CGC's "glossary" page, which is where I would've expected to find my answers. Thanks! Best, David in San Diego.

2,761 posts

EA = Extensive Amateur

EP = Extensive Professional

MA = Moderate Amateur

MP = Moderate Professional

SA = Slight Amateur

SP = Slight Professional

SS SA = Signature Series Slight Amateur

4,915 posts

What about SS SP? Does this not exist? Then onto Moderate, Extensive, for the SS Series??

2,761 posts

Whatever level of restoration is detected would be appropriately noted, it was only that those abbreviations were not listed in his initial inquiry.

26,858 posts

I think the easiset way to figure this out is:

Column A

Degree of Restoration

E=Extensive

M=Moderate

S=Slight

Colum B

Type of Restoration

A=Amateur

P=Professional

So, just like in a Chinese restraunt, you can pick one from Column A and one from Column B. That would cover everything as far as I can see.

If it is a Signature Series (SS) the same holds true. One from Column A and one from Column B.

I do not believe I have ever seen a Qualified Resotred book but my assumption is, if such a thing existed, it would be Q (for Qualified) then, one from Column A and one from Column B.