• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,735 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

So you think the prices will eventually roll back to what they were before? Or, like @october said, they will hit an apex then settle in at a level slightly below th
at apex?

I'm not being obtuse. I am interested in objective opinions, as I am unhappy with myself for selling my second print before this price explosion and I'm not sure if I should find one to buy now or just wait it out. 

I think what Oak is saying is that they all have a cooling off period and I agree. October is correct as well. Since I’ve followed turtles 1 closely for many years, and have had the honor of buying, selling, and owning nice copies, I’ll give my 2 cents: 

1st printings have had two bumps in the last 10 years. This is surely the third. The 7.5 that sold for 12k set a precedent, as it was an auction. At the time, there were no other 1st printings available below 8.0 (This has to be taken into consideration). Now that an 8.0 can sell for close to 15, the bar is set high. Turtles 1 is NOW last years GSX 1, and Hulk 181 from 2 years ago. Each book had significant bumps over night, and have since cooled off (from wild highs). No book sustains all time highs all the time. That being said, I see a 7.5 settling around the 10K mark when the dust settles (3-6 months from now). Could it go higher- yes. We all have to remember that a 7.5 was 5-6K just a couple months ago. This was the bump! All grades will now receive their respective bumps. 

2nd printings seem to be doing well, and going wild along with the others. @Ryan. I personally think you should be patient and see if you could find a raw, make an decent offer, and hopefully get one. I wouldn’t pay sky high prices right now. We all know they are bound to cool off, but I feel your pain of selling your copy before the boom. I’ve done that with other books and it sometimes leaves me with a grimace. I then recognize that i was happy to have owned one, and I will one day find another. It may not be now, but if you stay hungry and looking for a copy you’ll get one. You’re a savvy dude! 

3rd printings doubled in price along with the others, and if any will see a cool down it will be these. There are more copies, and there have historically been more available at any given time. Right now, any copy of any printing is being viewed 100’s of times. As you could see, people will put a 3rd print 8.0 up for sale for 1k now (was a 100-250 all day just two months ago), and at the same a 9.4 for 1k. Ask yourself, which one do you buy? The same day, another 9.4 3rd print is then listed for 1800 (Was a 250-450 all day just two- three months ago). 

We are seeing wild prices all over, and I’m happy to see it! As an owner of a 1st and 3rd, I’m surely ok with it. That being said, this a boom, and it’s easy to get caught up in it. I’m wanting to upgrade, find other copies, etc. I love this book, and I know we all do as well. It’s one of my all-time favorites, and surely deserves the recognition it’s getting! 

3 minutes ago, SpideyFein said:

I think what Oak is saying is that they all have a cooling off period and I agree. October is correct as well. Since I’ve followed turtles 1 closely for many years, and have had the honor of buying, selling, and owning nice copies, I’ll give my 2 cents: 

1st printings have had two bumps in the last 10 years. This is surely the third. The 7.5 that sold for 12k set a precedent, as it was an auction. At the time, there were no other 1st printings available below 8.0 (This has to be taken into consideration). Now that an 8.0 can sell for close to 15, the bar is set high. Turtles 1 is NOW last years GSX 1, and Hulk 181 from 2 years ago. Each book had significant bumps over night, and have since cooled off (from wild highs). No book sustains all time highs all the time. That being said, I see a 7.5 settling around the 10K mark when the dust settles (3-6 months from now). Could it go higher- yes. We all have to remember that a 7.5 was 5-6K just a couple months ago. This was the bump! All grades will now receive their respective bumps. 

2nd printings seem to be doing well, and going wild along with the others. @Ryan. I personally think you should be patient and see if you could find a raw, make an decent offer, and hopefully get one. I wouldn’t pay sky high prices right now. We all know they are bound to cool off, but I feel your pain of selling your copy before the boom. I’ve done that with other books and it sometimes leaves me with a grimace. I then recognize that i was happy to have owned one, and I will one day find another. It may not be now, but if you stay hungry and looking for a copy you’ll get one. You’re a savvy dude! 

3rd printings doubled in price along with the others, and if any will see a cool down it will be these. There are more copies, and there have historically been more available at any given time. Right now, any copy of any printing is being viewed 100’s of times. As you could see, people will put a 3rd print 8.0 up for sale for 1k now (was a 100-250 all day just two months ago), and at the same a 9.4 for 1k. Ask yourself, which one do you buy? The same day, another 9.4 3rd print is then listed for 1800 (Was a 250-450 all day just two- three months ago). 

We are seeing wild prices all over, and I’m happy to see it! As an owner of a 1st and 3rd, I’m surely ok with it. That being said, this a boom, and it’s easy to get caught up in it. I’m wanting to upgrade, find other copies, etc. I love this book, and I know we all do as well. It’s one of my all-time favorites, and surely deserves the recognition it’s getting! 

Well said!

1 hour ago, SpideyFein said:

There was a 9.4 listed for 1K or best offer yesterday. It went within the hour. Bro, I will help find you a copy- no joke! Pm sent! 

I don’t think so. Just looked in the sold section and not showing it. It should show up if it sold. There’s a 9.4 for sale at $1900 and a 9.2 at $2K, but not seeing any sold yesterday.

Edited by LDarkseid1

9 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I don’t think so. Just looked in the sold section and not showing it. It should show up if it sold. There’s a 9.4 for sale at $1900 and a 9.2 at $2K, but not seeing any sold yesterday.

I think that 9.4 yesterday was pulled and relisted at a higher price, happened pretty soon after someone else listed a lower grade at $1k.

8 minutes ago, Sonic77 said:

I think that 9.4 yesterday was pulled and relisted at a higher price, happened pretty soon after someone else listed a lower grade at $1k.

Yeah makes sense. There’s been several of those situations happening lately 😂

4 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

If they do drop, ain’t gunna be any time soon amigos. So keep your seat belts on cause it’s going to be a bumpy ride.

Well said.... The printing alone for any 1st 2nd to 3rd print alone is lower then any modern book printed today which keeps this book favourable especially over the hyped Miles Morales UF4 first prints which I’m sure is over 100,000 copies? Rather put my eggs in a Tmnt #1 3rd print high grade over a UF4 9.8 which by the way that’s stabilisation has hit around 1000-1100.00. Turtles are 35+ yrs old,and this price correction was long overdue in my opinion. You ain’t seen nothing yet 

3 hours ago, SpideyFein said:

3rd printing yes it may be higher in printing but in regards to the first and second that is unfair to say it should be worth much less. As iv mentioned before 30,000 print run in 1980s is a drop in the bucket next to the massive over 100/200k print runs of the 80s. Even hulk 181 had a over 200,000 print run if I’m not mistaken. Tmnt #1 3rd print is still a far cry rarer book then Hulk 181s IMO.. If u ask me a 9.4 asking for 1k is peanuts compare to what it will fetch when this so called “cooling” phase hits which I don’t see for a few months. 

3 minutes ago, Charleybrown said:

I just picked up a 7.0 for 9600.00...looking for a higher graded one still. I offered someone a decent amount for a 9.0 and they declined.

Yah it's gonna be hard pressed dude to grab anything over 9.0 now as they are unicorns to find. And everytime u turn 360 DGRs the book jumps again whenever u see a first print hit the market.. I feel higher prices on the first prints are making the book more scarce down the tracks then what we've seen in the past few months. Harder for collectors to let them go. 

9 minutes ago, Charleybrown said:

I just picked up a 7.0 for 9600.00...looking for a higher graded one still. I offered someone a decent amount for a 9.0 and they declined.

Less then 800 on the CGC census for the first print will keep this book a golden goose for collectors and the market. Hulk 181 ain't got nothing on the Turtles #1 first print especially when grade per grade the TMNT #1 first print is squashing it. A 7.0 TMNT first print is over 10k now while a 7.0 hulk 181 isn't even over 3500-4K Cowaaabunnnga!!!!! 

2 hours ago, Kalel38 said:

3rd printing yes it may be higher in printing but in regards to the first and second that is unfair to say it should be worth much less. As iv mentioned before 30,000 print run in 1980s is a drop in the bucket next to the massive over 100/200k print runs of the 80s. Even hulk 181 had a over 200,000 print run if I’m not mistaken. Tmnt #1 3rd print is still a far cry rarer book then Hulk 181s IMO.. If u ask me a 9.4 asking for 1k is peanuts compare to what it will fetch when this so called “cooling” phase hits which I don’t see for a few months. 

The third printings, although there are only 30K or so, are indeed third printings, which devalues the book from the onset. What I mean is that although there are few compared to SA and BA books, it is a reprint. Looking at comic books and reprints, there are a handful of books where second printings are worth money, nevertheless a third printing. I am not being pessimistic, and as you know I'm a turtle lover from the start, but I don't think a 9.4 third print will go much higher. Could it sell for 13-15, yes, but we are then talking 5X what it sold for just two months ago.  3rd prints were inexpensive from the start, so we have to take that into consideration as well. Were third printings undervalued prior to this craze? Most would say no but some would say yes. To have a third printing go for 1K is still nice if you ask me. I predict we see 9.8 third prints top out at 2.5-3K, and that's being generous. I know that's a bold statement to make, considering we are just starting to see the craze ensue, but these are all just predictions, and we all have our theories on where the books will end up. We all love our turtles, so let the good times ride. 

19 minutes ago, SpideyFein said:

The third printings, although there are only 30K or so, are indeed third printings, which devalues the book from the onset. What I mean is that although there are few compared to SA and BA books, it is a reprint. Looking at comic books and reprints, there are a handful of books where second printings are worth money, nevertheless a third printing. I am not being pessimistic, and as you know I'm a turtle lover from the start, but I don't think a 9.4 third print will go much higher. Could it sell for 13-15, yes, but we are then talking 5X what it sold for just two months ago.  3rd prints were inexpensive from the start, so we have to take that into consideration as well. Were third printings undervalued prior to this craze? Most would say no but some would say yes. To have a third printing go for 1K is still nice if you ask me. I predict we see 9.8 third prints top out at 2.5-3K, and that's being generous. I know that's a bold statement to make, considering we are just starting to see the craze ensue, but these are all just predictions, and we all have our theories on where the books will end up. We all love our turtles, so let the good times ride. 

Here’s my prediction and my prediction and no one knows the future values only to say they go up with time. Let’s take a look at the first printing past prices which I have shown. Yes would anyone back then a few years ago even 4-5yrs ago say prices would be where they are now? I mentioned to a good friend of mine early this yr a 9.8 don’t be surprised it could hit 90-100k In the next 2-3yrs which closely did that or close enough this year!!!!!! 2020.... Now as far as 2nd prints and 3rd prints yes they are still the first appearance regardless..They are not reprints they are 2/3rd printings. Reprints are books that are altered books From prices to size of the book or altered art work that were done many many years after the fact the book has been well established.. Is ULTIMATE Fallout 4 2/3rd prints reprints? No point being said. The second print has 6,000 printing which to to me says yes a 9.8 will hit 10-20-30k compare to the first print.. 3rd printing will to me hit 5-10k without a doubt regardless it being 24k more in printing. Superman #1 in 1939 had 2 printings that most dont know about, and no there isn’t a difference that can be seen but the first printings sold so quick they printed many many more in the second run. Would that be considered a reprint then.. of course not.. 

E7A63398-CAA0-4AA3-BFCF-D12632A0488B.png

4 minutes ago, Kalel38 said:

Here’s my prediction and my prediction and no one knows the future values only to say they go up with time. Let’s take a look at the first printing past prices which I have shown. Yes would anyone back then a few years ago even 4-5yrs ago say prices would be where they are now? I mentioned to a good friend of mine early this yr a 9.8 don’t be surprised it could hit 90-100k In the next 2-3yrs which closely did that or close enough this year!!!!!! 2020.... Now as far as 2nd prints and 3rd prints yes they are still the first appearance regardless..They are not reprints they are 2/3rd printings. Reprints are books that are altered books From prices to size of the book or altered art work that were done many many years after the fact the book has been well established.. Is ULTIMATE Fallout 4 2/3rd prints reprints? No point being said. The second print has 6,000 printing which to to me says yes a 9.8 will hit 10-20-30k compare to the first print.. 3rd printing will to me hit 5-10k without a doubt regardless it being 24k more in printing. Superman #1 in 1939 had 2 printings that most dont know about, and no there isn’t a difference that can be seen but the first printings sold so quick they printed many many more in the second run. Would that be considered a reprint then.. of course not.. 

E7A63398-CAA0-4AA3-BFCF-D12632A0488B.png

9.4 first print selling for 4,125 in 2010 and today prob over 30k 2020.. 10yrs is something u can be shocked at but yet prob not.. Superman 1 1.8 sold for 21,000 in 2012 and yet a 1.8 would get u over 100k today.. 

7 minutes ago, Kalel38 said:

9.4 first print selling for 4,125 in 2010 and today prob over 30k 2020.. 10yrs is something u can be shocked at but yet prob not.. Superman 1 1.8 sold for 21,000 in 2012 and yet a 1.8 would get u over 100k today.. 

I was offered a 9.4 for 26k privately. Signed which is not my forte. Id pay 26 for an unsigned.

10 minutes ago, Charleybrown said:

I was offered a 9.4 for 26k privately. Signed which is not my forte. Id pay 26 for an unsigned.

Yah I don't blame u. I like my issues that are high grades blue labels untouched..yellow I don't mind but not in high grade #1s