• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Metropolis homepage feature: Shop 100 Most Recently Added Comics

62 posts in this topic

Viewed their site once. Feedback here has left me taking my little money elsewhere. I have 2 dealers I am very happy dealing with (Bob Storms, and Dale Roberts), some smaller local guys, the boards, and Ebay. I am totally content with whom I buy from.

And then there was the incident with Grinder. I think that was the biggest one for me.

But to be fair, there are plenty people who have good/gret dealings with them. So my guess is they are happy with their established customer base, and dont need to go out of their way to keep in business.

Frank and Vincent have always been good to me from a customer service standpoint. And my books have always been shipped secure and timely.

Just that darned pricing of theirs. Hard to swallow free shipping or a 10% discount when the books are marked up so incredibly high to begin with.

I like Metro and have had good dealings with them, even if I haven't bought a book in a while. However, I'm not a fan of anything but a set, visitble price. I typically won't offer or inquire with any dealer.

Viewed their site once. Feedback here has left me taking my little money elsewhere. I have 2 dealers I am very happy dealing with (Bob Storms, and Dale Roberts), some smaller local guys, the boards, and Ebay. I am totally content with whom I buy from.

And then there was the incident with Grinder. I think that was the biggest one for me.

But to be fair, there are plenty people who have good/gret dealings with them. So my guess is they are happy with their established customer base, and dont need to go out of their way to keep in business.

Frank and Vincent have always been good to me from a customer service standpoint. And my books have always been shipped secure and timely.

Just that darned pricing of theirs. Hard to swallow free shipping or a 10% discount when the books are marked up so incredibly high to begin with.

I am fortunate. I will wait until I get a copy of any book at a decent price. I hate overpaying, and really hate that if I keep spending money with you, you wont give me a nice break once in awhile. Hence the people I deal with.

I have no ill feelings toward them, but I just dont like that stubborn seller thing. And what good is the profit if it takes 3 years to get it? That means the money that should have replaced the purchase of the book was lost on another books profit? The faster you move inventory, the better. If I have books too long I just blow them out, looks bad having the same stuff too long.

Why does metro even have an make offer button?

I have picked up many books via the make an offer (shrug)

What was the lowest offer (percentage wise) they accepted? I have never had any luck with a lower offer with them hm

.... naturally, it depends on the book(s) and the "deal"... ( the more common and heavier their inventory, the better deal one gets I would imagine)...

and, as roy says, I have spent some serious money with metro, so I am sure that "helps" to a degree (that is just good business)...

but I will say the very first deal I did with Vincent 4 years ago (and while I had done some business with Stephen in the early 90's, I am not sure I had ever even met Vincent since his joining with metro), was a double digit discount ...so, there had been no history at all, and quite honestly, that "hooked" me right there...

and because of that first deal, I have spent well into the 6 figures with metro ...

that said, are there times I get no discount...of course... but it is usually on a rarer book or pedigree, that they cannot easily replace in inventory...

just my 2c I know everyone's milage varies

I recently made an offer on a book listed at $550. Frank did come down to $495. However, the book was still a considerable margin over guide. In all fairness it is a nice, GA pedigree book. But, it was also a raw, very aggressively priced to begin with, not particularly in demand book that has been on the site for a couple of years now I believe.

I'm willing to pay over guide. I'm willing to shell well out over $400 bucks. But $495 was the bottom line. Simply too much to pay for that book so I took the dough elsewhere and bought something else.

Could they have made the sale to me at $450? Probably. And that would've still been a very aggressive price IMO. But instead of bringing in $450 and me having a nice story about how I got a nice book at a lesser price from them, they don't have $450, they still have a book sitting in inventory at $550 and from what I can assume, might be sitting there for another 2 years. (shrug) But like I've said in the past, their books and they can do whatever they want with them. Seems like they're doing just fine with their business model. Except for the throngs of boardies who constantly bash on them.

having sold many books to Metro as well, let me also "defend" (if you will) that Vincent pays very agressively... who is to say that they didn't own that book at $450... I know from experience that some books I have sold them, that end up on the site, are sometimes only marked up a small amount... perhaps, they didn't have any more profit margin to deal in (shrug)

again, Vincent doesn't need me, or anyone to explain this, but folks know I like to post lol

We also demanded that they price all the books on their site. Didn't get that either.

Oh but they do :devil:lol

Do a third party grader search on Marvel say.

Then hit the price button on the top of the first page to 'sort' them

Those 'not priced yet' puppies slot neatly in where the dollar value's would be should be.

Oh they know what the price is, they just want to give some noob opportunity to put a silly offer in doh!

Interesting question.

In my limited experience so far, I have found that I can only get a response to my enquiries about a particular book,if I go through the 'make an offer' channel.

I also found that they want $27 to ship a raw book of relatively low value to the UK.

Other Dealers tend to charge between 8-12 Dollars for a raw book.

This hardly endears new customers like myself.

I am unlikely to do business with them.

Then again I doubt they will be losing any sleep over it, as they appear to have money to burn and potential customers to lose.

Its a typical example of a big organization wanting to look the bees knees with the pretty pretty website :whatev: with all the bells and whistles, but neglecting the important stuff...like say..I dunno..the Customers. meh

rantrant

$27 to ship a raw book of relatively low value to the UK - that counts me out as a customer then.

Interesting question.

In my limited experience so far, I have found that I can only get a response to my enquiries about a particular book,if I go through the 'make an offer' channel.

I also found that they want $27 to ship a raw book of relatively low value to the UK.

Then again I doubt they will be losing any sleep over it, as they appear to have money to burn and potential customers to lose.

Its a typical example of a big organization wanting to look the bees knees with the pretty pretty website :whatev: with all the bells and whistles, but neglecting the important stuff...like say..I dunno..the Customers. meh

rantrant

You need to be buying British, Jas. :baiting:

Interesting question.

rantrant

$27 to ship a raw book of relatively low value to the UK - that counts me out as a customer then.

if you want it insured, which many CC companies and Paypal require now, there is no "cheap" option any longer... priority mail is it (you can't insure first class)...

just more info for the less informed

I was a customer of Vinny in the Vincent's Collectibles days but I was not a customer of Metropolis. I simply assumed they were out of my league.

I recently saw an advertisement about the new website homepage and checked it out. Very busy but I like it. I noticed a small collection of 30+ books and checked it out. The prices were reasonable and I signed up and purchased a couple books.

I must admit I was impressed with their service. The books were shipped next day and at my door in two business days. They use Fedex and it appears they only charged actual shipping costs.

Interesting question.

rantrant

if you want it insured, which many CC companies and Paypal require now, there is no "cheap" option any longer... priority mail is it (you can't insure first class)...

just more info for the less informed

Don't get me wrong, I've ordered lots of books with Metro and loved what I've recieved (except maybe supposed HG bronze books that end up being more 8.5ish), I've just heard they never really deal on the "make offer" front.

I'm sure its different with Teckid since he's a baller.

Interesting question.

rantrant

You need to be buying British, Jas. :baiting:

You're dead on and I probably will be for the foreseeable future, especially now the pound is well and truly on its arse :(

I have bought a good number of books from Metro, and overall I have always been happy, but I have had it with the inquireButton_ro.gif

I don't even look at their site, because the only books that I will have any interest in are newly listed books that will of course have the inquireButton_ro.gif

It is beyond ridiculous that they can have a book posted on the site for WEEKS and still have no price because they "have so many books they haven't gotten to it yet" Absolute BS. I consider it an insult that they would say this to me over the phone and I am supposed to believe them. Someone had to enter the book on to the website. DON'T ENTER IT UNTIL YOU HAVE A PRICE! It's not that complicated.

I have an email which I received the first week of January about a book matching my wantlist. For fun I just went to the site and guess what: Jan 20th and they still haven't been able to price that book. Wow, are they busy. Give me a break.

Metro, if your reading this, you have some great books and great service. Please, make some changes regarding the inquireButton_ro.gif

It is beyond ridiculous that they can have a book posted on the site for WEEKS and still have no price because they "have so many books they haven't gotten to it yet" Absolute BS. I consider it an insult that they would say this to me over the phone and I am supposed to believe them. Someone had to enter the book on to the website. DON'T ENTER IT UNTIL YOU HAVE A PRICE! It's not that complicated.

I find this to be an interesting marketing idea on metro's part...

obviously, they do this intentionally right?... as stated above, it doesn't take any more time list the price when they enter it in...

so, put 2 and 2 together and figure out why they do it? there is a reason (thumbs u

I find this to be an interesting marketing idea on metro's part...

obviously, they do this intentionally right?... as stated above, it doesn't take any more time list the price when they enter it in...

so, put 2 and 2 together and figure out why they do it? there is a reason (thumbs u

Yes, I agree there is a reason why they do it. That it what pizzes me off is they say to you that they just haven't gotten to it yet, when you know it's just a way to bleed every dollar from every sale. As I stated before, I find it insulting.

I am very small potatoes when it comes to spending $$$ on funnybooks, but Metro has always responded to my requests for a scan and has accepted offers I have made them. (shrug)Maybe it's how you ask?

Yeah thats it!

"Dear Sir

I'm very interested in Book xxxx. I'd be very grateful if you could send me a scan at your earliest convenience.

Thanks in anticipation.

Kind Regards

Jasmine"

Knew I was doing something wrong :baiting: