• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets See Those Funny Animal Books!
2 2

1,994 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Picked up a #1 to go with #3. There isn't a #2 that I am aware of, though honestly the art, storylines and general print quality are pretty much #2...

funtimeset.jpg

Side by side comparison of two distinct pages which are meant to tell the same Indian and bear story by artist Howie Post. The top page is from the original by Post (from Prize Comics #49, January 1945) and the bottom is apparently from a traced version done by another artist named Ellis Chambers (from Hi-Ho Comics #1, 1946), who, according to Post himself, had a tendency to use marijuana while drawing. I think it’s one of the earliest cases of a marijuana-fueled drawing session that I’ve heard of actually.

25.jpg

29.jpg

Source: https://voiceofodd.blogspot.com/2018/07/the-secret-behind-mirror.html?fbclid=IwAR1YcaxiZ9yyKJ8UrcXzWxIlUC7WUzvEv6-F-u-XFl6KP2sy9Yc-ORYhhY0

Edited by Electricmastro

I’ve found that Jim Tyer’s funny animal work is worth looking at in particular. He was an animator at Terrytoons (such as for Might Mouse), and thus honed in on his chaotic drawing style with comics like he did with animation. He worked at Nedor (Barnyard Comics, Coo Coo Comics, Goofy Comics, and Happy Comics) and American Comics Group (Giggle Comics and Ha Ha Comics). Ha Ha Comics probably contains some of his best humor material in his Pete Parrot features:

auNXuUz.jpg

6aRxGyn.jpg

rwBPNIk.jpg

A79P9GH.jpg

bv6XHzv.jpg

4f2VTSz.jpg

8RE2uiO.jpg

xxwRbNe.jpg

13 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I guess this one counts as a funny-animal comic even though it's a mixture of animal and human characters.

s-l1600.jpg

Talk about faded...

ticktocktales19.jpg

Beautiful very high grade copy I picked up an antique  show in the bay area somewhere around 92 or 93 from a very old couple that used to specialize in holiday ornaments. Christmas,Thanksgiving Halloween, Valentine's Day etc. Lots of wonderful stuff from pre-eBay

IMG_2293.JPG

Edited by Cobbledclam