Lets See Those Funny Animal Books!
2 2

1,766 posts in this topic

2,635 posts
On 12/18/2019 at 10:16 AM, MrBedrock said:

Charlton loved "Atoms" and "Atomic" stuff...

atomicmouse2.jpg

atomicmouse11.jpg

atomicrabbit1.jpg

atomicrabbit9.jpg

That's quite the lineup of Charlton rarities!

2,635 posts
On 12/18/2019 at 1:36 PM, Hepcat said:

Groan. Maybe some day. I really have to be in the mood to mess with my camera and uploading from the camera to Photobucket which over time has become quite the chore.

Iphone photo right to the computer is a fast way to go and then a quick upload.

2,635 posts
On 12/20/2019 at 9:20 AM, MrBedrock said:

What can I get for these?

atomicmouse6.jpg

atomicmouse7.jpg

These two almost feel like undergrounds. The covers and crude artwork and even the logos would fit right in that genre.

7,880 posts
On 12/22/2019 at 3:59 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Iphone photo right to the computer is a fast way to go and then a quick upload.

Iphone? What is this iphone thingy of which you speak?

o.O

487 posts
On 12/22/2019 at 4:02 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

These two almost feel like undergrounds. The covers and crude artwork and even the logos would fit right in that genre.

Haha. That probably an appropriate description for Charlton Comics. Atomic Mouse was probably Charlton's most popular character at the time, his solo series having lasted more than 50 issues, and was even more popular than their Yellowjacket superhero they had published about 10 years earlier.

2,635 posts
1 hour ago, Marty Mann said:

IMG  LTMM #52  (200 dpi).jpg

Great one Marty. I always loved these types of covers and I always try to create a custom envelope for my Dad’s birthday card that involves his birth year. He’s going to be 88 this coming June so that will be fun number to play with!!

487 posts

One of the earlier funny animal comic books not Looney Tunes or Disney-related: Animal Comics #1 (September 8 1942, Dell Comics). Art by H. R. McBride.

69.jpg

21,942 posts

Everybody talks Barks and Kelly when it comes to the funny animal genre but there is another that deserves recognition. Harrison Cady. Known mostly for his Peter Rabbit and friend’s childrens books. Not a whole lot of comic book work. The Avon run is just beautiful in full color. This one shot is pretty cool too. Hopefully, Yellow Kid will chime in and show us some nice examples...:whistle:

C4AA6435-CDBA-4018-BC5B-E6CE2EBA37C4.jpeg

B1F3C303-638D-41AB-9BE3-5559509E98EE.jpeg

2,050 posts
1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Everybody talks Barks and Kelly when it comes to the funny animal genre but there is another that deserves recognition. Harrison Cady. Known mostly for his Peter Rabbit and friend’s childrens books. Not a whole lot of comic book work. The Avon run is just beautiful in full color. This one shot is pretty cool too. Hopefully, Yellow Kid will chime in and show us some nice examples...:whistle:

If you appreciate Cady, keep an eye out for those hardbound "humor" volumes of random bits from Judge magazine. There's all sorts of early cartooning goodness from funnies pioneers and other gems, and plenty of good Cady as well. (thumbsu

35,778 posts

Picked up a #1 to go with #3. There isn't a #2 that I am aware of, though honestly the art, storylines and general print quality are pretty much #2...

funtime1.jpg

funtime3.jpg

2,050 posts
4 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Picked up a #1 to go with #3. There isn't a #2 that I am aware of, though honestly the art, storylines and general print quality are pretty much #2...

Those are wonderful books! I have one not pictured, so it must be issue 2. It's a beater, so I don't have it handy, but when I do dig it up, I'll post a scan.  hm