• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Nine MPWF #1 copies Today?
5 5

235 posts in this topic

I just looked at my hardcover reprint of Marvel Comics #1, that is the same Sub-Mariner story within (but with colour, which obliterates some of the art). Only difference is in Marvel's book they blanked out the Continued Next Week (put left the box there) and has an extra 4 story pages at the end.

I just looked at my hardcover reprint of Marvel Comics #1, that is the same Sub-Mariner story within (but with colour, which obliterates some of the art). Only difference is in Marvel's book they blanked out the Continued Next Week (put left the box there) and has an extra 4 story pages at the end.

Yes, it was reprinted in Marvel Comics #1 with the last panel altered. Marvel Comics #1 is the first newsstand appearance of Subby, but MPFW #1 is his actual first appearance. :cloud9:

Updated once more to reflect newly graded copy (mine) not yet posted to the census. There will soon be 7 graded copies on the census.

So, here's some updated information combining this thread's information, Heritage Auction House archives & the CGC census & from known owners:

Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1

CGC Graded Universal Label Unrestored.....................Sold for on:

1..........9.0 Cream to off-white pages "Pay Copy"......$43,125.00 10/15/2005

1..........7.0 Light tan to off-white pages......................$20,700.00 7/7/2002

1..........5.5 (esquirecomics) Slightly brittle pages.......$20,315.00 2/27/2009

1..........5.0 Slightly brittle pages..................................????.............?/?/????

CGC Graded Restored Label

1....,,,,,,7.5 (SP) (FUELMAN) Crm to off white..............$12,000.00. 9/ 2000 (+ cvrs)

1..........7.5 (MP) (VintageComics) Off white pages.......$14,000.00 6/20/2009

1..........4.0 (MP) Brittle pages.......................................$11,352.50 5/23/2008

Raw that we know of:

1..........8.0 (jbcomicbox) tanning halo, 3/4" spine split .......$10,000.00 9/1993

.....................possible restoration above top staple.

Coverless Copy

1..........NG (thecollectron) Light tan pages(tanning halo)........$4,000.00...... 2001

9th, Raw Unknown Issue (now 10th issue)

1...........raw...........................???.....................................???

Covers to 2-4 average over 4 sales shown on Hertiage $924.18

Esquire Comics has sold 2 sets since 2008 for $1,200.00 each

This would bring the average price realized for 6 sets to $1,016.12 per set

Estimated between 20-30 sets exist(?)

History of The 9th Suspected (Now the 10th Suspected?):

I have heard this came about due to a former movie theater owner in the Boston area claiming to remember seeing a Motion Picture Funnies Weekly, so it became suspected, "possible distribution"(?), but has not turned up to date.

Overstreet #38, 2008 Edition

"Note: Eight copies (plus one coverless) were discovered in 1974 in the estate of the deceased publisher. Covers only to issues No.2-4 were also found which evidently were printed in advance along with #1.#1 was to be distributed only through motion picture movie houses. However, it is believed that only advanced copies were sent out and the motion picture houses not going for the idea. Possible distribution at local theaters in Boston suspected. The "Pay Copy" (graded at 9.0) was discovered after 1974, bringing the total known to nine. The last panel of Sub-Mariner contains a rectangular box with "Continued next week" printed in it. When reprinted in Marvel Mystery, the box was left in with lettering omitted. "

Additional information from Artifact.com Lot 211 from 1999.

"Description:

1939, Publisher Unlisted, the first and only number, with the covers to Nos. 2-4, original and first appearance of Sub-Mariner by Bill Everett, later reprinted in Marvel Comics No. 1, interior pages are black and white, OWL paper is 7.5 to 8; with very limited restoration to spine by William Sarill, encased within a "Fortress" system; A.C.G. apparent fine plus - 72. (4 pieces) Bob Overstreet notes in his Price Guide that this comic is (rare) with only 8 known copies, and only one near mint with white pages. This copy must be the higher grade copy that Overstreet refers to because the consignor is the original discoverer of this rare find, and saved his final copy to sell(the copy offered here) as the highest ranked condition copy. It should be noted that William Sarill did very slight touch up work to all eight copies from this discovery, therefore they are all slightly restored copies."

Link to ArtiFact.com web page

Coverless Copy

1..........NG (thecollectron) Light tan pages(tanning halo)........$4,000.00...... 2001

My copy remains raw, but since CGC designates NG to slabbed single pages and .5 to incomplete books, I suppose I should call mine .5 because it's a complete interior with no cover.

Also, I'll repeat something stated earlier in the thread:

In the indicia, "First" is scribbled over in all three places where "First Funnies, Inc." is printed.

Coverless Copy

My copy remains raw, but since CGC designates NG to slabbed single pages and .5 to incomplete books, I suppose I should call mine .5 because it's a complete interior with no cover.

In the indicia, "First" is scribbled over in all three places where "First Funnies, Inc." is printed.

Could you provide some scans or pics of your book? Is your's the cover less copy noted above? :popcorn:

Possible distribution at local theaters in Boston suspected.

I seriously doubt it. One 40 year old memory of seeing the book before by a former theater owner. Possibly a single sample might have been sent to a few theaters - does that count as distribution? The memory of a single comic after forty years, from a time when they would have registered about as much as a promotional flyer is not one I'd put much faith in. Particularly as MPFW #1 has a fairly generic looking cover.

Coverless Copy

Could you provide some scans or pics of your book? Is your's the cover less copy noted above? :popcorn:

Yes, it's the one already noted.

MotionPictureFunniesWeekly1interior_zps4c64f873.jpg

Thanks for staying on this Fuelman, great info.

+1; FYI, I think that VintageComics (Roy) sold his copy but I don't know the details for updating.

Great book.

Yup. Sold it a few years ago. As far as I know, it's still with the same person.

Thanks for staying on this Fuelman, great info.

+1; FYI, I think that VintageComics (Roy) sold his copy but I don't know the details for updating.

Great book.

Yup. Sold it a few years ago. As far as I know, it's still with the same person.

Could you share any of the sales info so I can update? :popcorn:

I am sorry I just found this thread about 2 weeks ago and wrote to Esquire Comics.

I am the owner of the now 10th known copy of MPFW#1 which is the Overstreet copy. It has a big X on the front cover.

I purchased the book on 3/95 from Metropolis for $4500. Many people have said it is missing pages. There are pages that are non original and are not attached but do not appear to be Xerox pages. When I purchased the book Stephen Fishler said they were press proof pages. I have no idea if that is correct and at the time I did not care I just wanted a copy. I have thought about sending it to CGC but never got around to it.

If anyone has any questions let me know. It has basically been sitting in a Pedrin Fortress since 1995.