• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OT: Advice needed - best way to sell a bunch of old Life Magazines?

13 posts in this topic

I have about 200 Life Magazines, mostly from the 40s(some 30s and some 50s). It's time to get rid of some stuff. What do you suppose is the best way to sell them?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :hi:

they are not worth that much.

sell the ones with recognizable movie stars, sports stars, sports teams, and political figures (Hitler, Stalin) individually on ebay. I used to get maybe $20 apiece for the better ones.

a few might even go to $50 like marilyn monroe.

and I think a couple might have baseball cards in them? was that LIFE mag? those are worth big $$.

sell the rest in larger lots because the ones with average covers are only worth a few $$ each, except perhaps the ones from the early 1930's

And sell the 1963 Roger Staubach cover to me for $10 (thumbs u (it's extremely rare)

I have about 200 Life Magazines, mostly from the 40s(some 30s and some 50s). It's time to get rid of some stuff. What do you suppose is the best way to sell them?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :hi:

There was a guy at NYC that only sold old magazines. He self professed to have the coolest booth at the con. He was right behind Stephen Ritter iirc. You might want to get in touch with him.

R.

Mags like LIFE are eventually going to get scarce because dealers keep cutting them up and selling the individual ads. Ironically, it will be the mags with "boring" non-celebrity covers that will eventually become the hardest to find.

When you can only sell a non-celeb 1940's mag for $3 but can get $30 worth of ad pages out of it, they will eventually all get cut apart by dealers. At that point, it will be hard to find any intact LIFE mags with non-celeb covers.

Looks like I need to take a close look at them and see which might sell well individually.

Seriously, I am interested. Let me know if you are able to go through them.

Also, any with Orson Welles would be nice to own also.

Edited by Wrightson fan

The mag with the baseball cards is a Saturday Evening Post from 1962 (I believe it's '62), Cleopatra Liz Taylor cover, and it had cards for Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle after their great chase to beat Babe Ruth's home run record.

I've had a couple over the years, and if the baseball cards are intact it's an easy $50.