• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thanks for NOTHING Bill Sienkiewicz!
2 2

619 posts in this topic

First rule is never pay someone upfront to do a job, let them do the job first then pay them.

:gossip: Art commissions generally don't work that way.

I was under the same impression. However, the previous poster thought otherwise......I guess he feels it is the same as getting your roof shingled by the folks in the gypsy caravans who follow hail damaging storms across the USA. lol

I'm actually a little surprised that you generally pay up front. You'd figure worst case scenario is if the customer doesn't pay the artist atleast the artist still has the art piece to sell to someone else. Paying a deposit I could understand though..

Pay up front and you risk having this situation here.

Edited by Drakeprimeone

The last response that I received from his handler was that he was very behind due to his work on the 30 Days of Night book........not sure of which issue....I think he said three. I have not heard from them since this nugget of info.

That was March of last year.

First rule is never pay someone upfront to do a job, let them do the job first then pay them.

I was under the same impression. However, the previous poster thought otherwise......I guess he feels it is the same as getting your roof shingled by the folks in the gypsy caravans who follow hail damaging storms across the USA. lol

I am more a business man/ engineer than art major. I use logic not bs.You don`t do the work, you don`t get paid. Simple as that.

Happy to hear it.

I have commissioned well over 100 artists for everything from freebee head sketches and $10 con doodles to full on oil painted pieces costing thousands of dollars.

I can count on one hand the amount of times I have paid upfront 100% of the cash.

In each of the cases where I have paid 100% of the cash upfront it was with an artist that I had dealt with several times in the past and had more than the normal customer-client relationship. Where a trust is built I can see doing that. Otherwise there is no way I ever...EVER...E V E R do that.

I can see a 10-25% deposit until I see some preliminary work is completed or sketches are approved before the final piece, then I usually send something to get it up to 50% paid (depending on the amount of dollars we are talking about).

The final payment is not made until the art is done and I see a finished scan.

Artists may ASK that you pay upfont for a piece, but that doesn't mean you have to AGREE to do so. I am usually very upfont about my expectations and reluctance to take away all incentive for the artist to get a piece done on time. Almost everyone I have dealt with in that situation can see my perspective and agrees to a good faith deposit until the piece is completed.

If an artist insists on full 100% payment upfront I either politely decline to commission him/her or I request that the funds be held by their representative until the work is done and usually get some emails or documentation to set that in stone.

And it should be noted there are several artists who I have worked with who don't ask for a single penny until the piece is completed or until they work up several prelims for my approval. I won't name their names because I don't know if they do this for everyone or it was a special circumstance being that I am somewhat known for my commissions and they are very comfortable that I can be trusted not to leave them hanging given how long I have been doing this.

In any case. It is NOT the norm in the field to pay 100% upfront for commissioned artwork. Everyone sets their own rules, but demanding full payment upfront in anything other than a convention setting where the piece will be done that day is a major red flag for me and, without knowing the artist, a risk I will not take.

Hope this helps,

Chris

I have commissioned well over 100 artists for everything from freebee head sketches and $10 con doodles to full on oil painted pieces costing thousands of dollars.

I can count on one hand the amount of times I have paid upfront 100% of the cash.

In each of the cases where I have paid 100% of the cash upfront it was with an artist that I had dealt with several times in the past and had more than the normal customer-client relationship. Where a trust is built I can see doing that. Otherwise there is no way I ever...EVER...E V E R do that.

I can see a 10-25% deposit until I see some preliminary work is completed or sketches are approved before the final piece, then I usually send something to get it up to 50% paid (depending on the amount of dollars we are talking about).

The final payment is not made until the art is done and I see a finished scan.

Artists may ASK that you pay upfont for a piece, but that doesn't mean you have to AGREE to do so. I am usually very upfont about my expectations and reluctance to take away all incentive for the artist to get a piece done on time. Almost everyone I have dealt with in that situation can see my perspective and agrees to a good faith deposit until the piece is completed.

If an artist insists on full 100% payment upfront I either politely decline to commission him/her or I request that the funds be held by their representative until the work is done and usually get some emails or documentation to set that in stone.

And it should be noted there are several artists who I have worked with who don't ask for a single penny until the piece is completed or until they work up several prelims for my approval. I won't name their names because I don't know if they do this for everyone or it was a special circumstance being that I am somewhat known for my commissions and they are very comfortable that I can be trusted not to leave them hanging given how long I have been doing this.

In any case. It is NOT the norm in the field to pay 100% upfront for commissioned artwork. Everyone sets their own rules, but demanding full payment upfront in anything other than a convention setting where the piece will be done that day is a major red flag for me and, without knowing the artist, a risk I will not take.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Good points, I am shocked that art commissions don`t have the same rules as the real world does.

Edited by MR.COMICBOOK

I am more a business man/ engineer than art major. I use logic not bs.You don`t do the work, you don`t get paid. Simple as that.

Happy to hear it.

I hope you either get your art work or your money back, keep us posted.

First of all, it sucks that Wrightson Fan hasn't gotten his sketch. I hope it works out. :wishluck:

With that said, keep in mind that traditionally artists are the first to get hired, and the last to get paid. That's why you establish a payment structure on a commission. It's half up front, half upon delivery, and the first set of corrections are free.

You're an engineering major? Do you expect to be paid only when the designs are complete? If so, prepare to be burned. If you freelance for any period of time, you (the freelancer) are going to get screwed over. That's why you get paid up front. There are too many bad deals floating around out there.

Headed to Detroit in a couple of hours to enjoy this weekends festiviites and witness history firsthand.

UNC.jpg

And no I haven't shaved since Selection Sunday, and don't intend to until Tuesday morning :cloud9:

Bring your razor with you, Tom. You'll be shaving on Sunday morning. :grin:

History firsthand? No, that was 1985 (Lowest seed *8th* to ever win the Championship). You meant to say witness history "repeated" firsthand. :baiting:

I do recall NC going down on that run, and Roy Williams was merely an assistant then. Good luck, but remember the best team doesn't always win.

I have never been a fan. His work on the New Mutants effectively ruined the title for me. Sucks on your end though. I hope you get something for you trouble.

No kidding. That was the most atrocious "art" I've ever seen in a comic book.

Maybe I'm just an art-f@g but him and McKean were doing some of the only interesting comic art of the late 80s.

That's a super bummer about the piece never being done. Good luck.

Edited by Beastfeast

It's because some artists feel that it's owed to them to do a sketch for you. Charging $300 for a headsketch is way too much.

Some don't even bother taking a list, they just want to sign your books and have you on your way. What's a little one minute sketch on a comic going to cost them? NOTHING.

That's why I've stop asking certain artist for signatures/sketches. You'd be surprised how many times I've stopped reading a series because the artist pissed me off.

I'm a repeat customer of those artists who deliver. I can name a few that I know I can trust and will gladly support them.

Good luck! :wishluck:

Yeah, Golden was a with that "Patience is a virue" BS.

Could have sworn I had a copy of that to show those that have not seen it. Searched and searched but turned up nothing.

Found it!

Patience is a virtue

(worship) Thank you

5x8fhar.jpg

The replacement piece was even worse...

Replacement piece? :popcorn:

Good luck! :wishluck:

Yeah, Golden was a with that "Patience is a virue" BS.

Could have sworn I had a copy of that to show those that have not seen it. Searched and searched but turned up nothing.

Found it!

Patience is a virtue

(worship) Thank you

5x8fhar.jpg

The replacement piece was even worse...

Replacement piece? :popcorn:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=303049&GSub=47125

Read the comments too.