• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toughest Marvel Bronze Key in HG?

63 posts in this topic

Obviously smirk.gif I've been looking for the best possible copy for many of these keys for close to three years and have left few rocks unturned in my search. I don't pursue horror titles, so I won't include them.

Here's my take on availability and market supply in 9.6 >>in my experience<< (not in any particular order)...

(All Marvel... ask Greggy for DC)

Marvel Team-Up #1

Until this year, I had never heard of a 9.4 at all, then (2) arrived.... also, I only ever heard of (1) 9.6 ever being available period. I learned, while speaking to MG of Motor City Comics, that they sold a 9.6 White at a convention over a year ago for $1K. I was very bummed as I was told they would LMK if they obtained any more rare HG bronze keys, but forgot. frown.gif The black cover and not being recognized initially as a key (or desirable book) contributed to its low survival rate in NM or better. A well-known HG Marvel collector is rumored to have one of the 9.8's. Note: Census shows (2) ea. of 9.6 and 9.8.

Hulk #180

Difficult enough KEY in just 9.4, but in 9.6... extremely hard to find. Even though there have been more 9.6's graded compared to other rare 9.6 bronze keys, I think most are in the hands of collectors that have no intention of selling them... contributing to their scarcity (like ASM 129). Motor City Comics again... sold the only 9.6 White that I ever saw or heard of available for sale. (2) 9.6 ow have sold privately though... by Blazingbob and Comgeek via ComicLink. The partial black spine and not being recognized as a key initially contributed to its low survival rate in NM or better. Note: Census shows (7) 9.6's (1) 9.8 droool! Someday it will be Miiiiine!! >Insert maniacal laughing, then sobbing laugh.gif <

Amazing Adventures #11

I only heard of one 9.6 ever available, but it was 2nd hand... and the seller supposedly decided not to sell to my friend. I think (not sure) that Josh of ComicLink mentioned having a 9.6 in his collection. The black cover, print defect and not being recognized initially as a key contributed to its low survival rate in NM or better. Note: Census shows (3) 9.6's (1) 9.8 droool!

Defenders #1

Again, only ever heard of one 9.6 ever available (and to me no less initially... and I blew it declining to buy at a measly $350 because it had ow pages... it sold closer to $450 then and is probably worth $800-1.1K now... !!). The 9.8 up now is going to cause quite a stir, it may go $2K+... May all you rich HG collectors have your computers crash at crunch time! The red cover contributed to its low survival rate in NM+ or better. Note: Census shows (8) 9.6's (1) 9.8 droool!

ASM #129

Although the Census shows a whopping (24) 9.6's and (0) 9.8's... try obtaining one, as every collector that owns one is ferociously territorial. Few are offered up for as many 9.6's exist.

I need one... PM me

Ghost Rider #1

Another black cover book that is simply rare in 9.6. Often registered and cut poorly too contributed to its scarcity. Note: Census shows (7) 9.6's (1) 9.8 droool!

Hero for Hire #1

Another black cover book that is simply rare in 9.6... some still don't consider it a key, but there is a cult following (me included) . Note: Census shows (4) 9.6's (0) 9.8's

Iron Man #55

I didn't pay much attention to this book initially, but it has surely become a desired key. Not being recognized initially as a key contributed to its low survival rate in NM+ or better. Note: Census shows (12) 9.6's (4) 9.8's.

Marvel Feature #1

Being Squarebound contributes to its low survival rate in NM+ or better. I only heard of the one 9.6 that our very own Mike Shuley bought from PGC, Note: Census shows (5) 9.6's (1) 9.8.

Marvel Premiere #15

The black cover and not being recognized initially as a key contributed to its low survival rate in NM+ or better. Note: Census shows (5) 9.6's (1) 9.8.

Marvel Spotlight #5

The black cover, poor registration and not being recognized initially as a key contributed to its low survival rate in NM+ or better. Note: Census shows (7) 9.6's (0) 9.8's.

Marvel Two in One #1

Not heavily submitted (50ish) and not being recognized as a key by many (even today) contributed to its low availability in NM+ or better. Note: Census shows (2) 9.6's (0) 9.8's.

X-Men #94

Out of 761 (non restored) copies submitted... Census shows ONLY (8) 9.6's (0) 9.8's!!!

The dark cover has something to do with it, but I think the sudden switching of the title from reprints to a new team caught some readers unaware or apathetic?? I also think the butt-ugly cover may have more to do with it. If Xmen 94 had a fantastic cover art, I bet three-five times as many 9.6's would be in existence... justa' hunch??

-------------------------------------------

Special Marvel Edition #15

Not heavily submitted (81) BUT out of 81 copies Census shows (11) 9.6's (0) 9.8's... so it's probably going to be more available in grade as submission numbers increase with the percentag of 9.6's to total sumbissions.

also think the butt-ugly cover may have more to do with it. If Xmen 94 had a fantastic cover art, I bet three-five times as many 9.6's would be in existence...

Whatchu talkin' 'bout, Bruce???

#94 could be my favorite X-Men cover ever, right up there with Neal Adams' classic #56, Byrne's haunting #136 and shocking #141, Paul Smith's #172, etc.!!

"X-Men, You Came Seeking Count Nefaria!! Instead You Have Found Only -- DEATH!"

That book definitely gets my vote for toughest Bronze key to find in high grade. But then again, I don't collect the peripheral series like MTU, AA, SME, etc.

Gene

Most of the books posted in this link arent too hard to find in NM 9.4 or better

Marvel team Up 1 is tough as is Amazing Adventures 1 and the toughest big key in my opinion is Marvel Spotlight 2 that dark orange cover plus the fact thats it a squarebound and the fact that many of the copies I've seen have a ink marking along the spine keeps it very hard to locate (I'm still looking) I saw one in 9.4 on Ebay a few months ago but it sold in the 5-6 times guide range. Dont think either Special Marvel Edition 15 or Defenders 1 are tough I own mutliple copies in NM of both . One oddball issue I'd add is Thor 193 again squarebound and I've never seen a NM copy even having looked for one for 10 years or so. I know this isnt Marvel but I had asked this question and got no answers, on Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love 1 do all copies out there have printers creases on the right side somewhere? I own a CGC 9.2 and have owned maybe a dozen unslabbed copies in various grades and all had the crease I'm referring to?????? Chet

Regarding the Thor 193, I recently got back a CGC 9.4 with white pages. Haven't seen a nice raw copy in years. On the issue of the Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love 1, not all copies have the printer's crease flaws. However, 2 of my 3 copies have that flaw. This books is also notorious for the top staple flaw in which the machine "shot" the staple too hard, thus causing some wear on those staple. I have never seen a copy with no top staple wear! frown.gif

Mmmm interesting stats Bruce. However, I would not be as prepared to give out the relevant DC information, as I do not accumulate them as you do. The one stat that totally surprised me is the relatively large number of Iron Man 55s in 9.6s and above. Damn, I still kick myself for selling my sure fire 9.6 or better copy raw on eBay during the time was dead after all the Infinity Gauntlet mumble jumble story line! frown.gif I could have made you a happy man! wink.gif

Hi Chet

My post was specifically trying to address CGC quality 9.6 and the census numbers I provided support the scarcity and/or lack of availability in CGC NM+ and up. A few are not as "available" due to lower submission numbers (for various reasons) as I pointed out.

Locating CGC 9.4's of most of those books are not nearly as difficult obviously, with the exception of MTU 1. Obtaining solid ungraded NM copies may, or may not be difficult depending on many factors, but they have not been that easy for me without putting in considerable time and effort

I'm also not sure if you are talking about a CGC level NM 9.4 or what you consider NM (such as Overstreet). Many people are surprised when they send their own books in and they don't grade out as they expect. I know nothing of your grading experience or CGC encounters, so I'm making a general statement in that regard.

I can't say much about the Thor or the other questions you had. Maybe Flying Donut or Blazinbob could provide an answer.

Tell me about it. Personally, I could care less about the book but Marvel freaks like you love this book! tongue.gif Sold it with the 56 for like $70! mad.gif

Yeah but I regained my sanity and decided to let the major players fight out for that baby! I will concentrate on the lower tier books for now! wink.gif